-->

Looking for the perfect dog

aldo5
February 2nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Howdy folks,

I'm going to retire to the country soon, and I'm looking
for some good advice. Which is the best dog breed for
my needs?

High temperature tolerance, (living near Phoenix, AZ)
Will be mostly an outside dog,
Must be able to "cope" with coyotes,
I prefer a short haired dog if possible.

I'm thinking Pharoah Hound, Rhodesian Ridgeback, or Australian
Cattle dog.

What do you suggest?

Prin
February 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Have you looked at www.petfinder.com? There are a lot of perfect dogs there.

Not sure I have any suggestions though... From everything I hear, coyotes and dogs aren't a good mix (for the dog) and personally, I think that dogs should be part of the family and should be with their pack most of the time. :o

Frenchy
February 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
High temperature tolerance, (living near Phoenix, AZ)
Will be mostly an outside dog,

I don't think you can find dogs that will always stay outside with high temperatures, it's not really healthy for them, and the fact they can get kill by coyotes ! Are you sure you want a dog ? And Prin is right, dogs want to be part of your family, not tied outside alone. Or worse, not tied.

erykah1310
February 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
:eek: Coyotes and dogs are never a good mix. Although a coyote is small they are fearless and have attacked many dogs, even big ones and seriously hurt them.
I too think that dogs should be a closely knit family member and not strictly out doors.
But thats just my opinion.:shrug:

EdwinBird
February 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Wait!

So I shouldn't be trying to breed my female with the coyote that comes around now and then?

Considering the realities, that probably wasn't as funny as I thought it would be.

OntarioGreys
February 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking Pharoah Hound, Rhodesian Ridgeback,

They do not have the body fat or the coat to help insulate from the heat or sun, skin is very thin including foot pads so hot sand and pavement would result in burns, they may out of africa originally but they dug out dens to sleep during the heat of the day

heidiho
February 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I know this must be a joke,and i say that because i used to live in Phoenix for 25 years and NO animal can be mostly kept outside,it is WAY WAY to hot there to do so,and throw in coyotes ,where exactly in phoenix are you talking????? Why would you want to get a dog if it is gonna be outside anyway??Not sure what the point is..

forZoey
March 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
I think the perfect out side dog is one made from concrete not flesh bone and brains.... it won't mind not having company ,the heat or the coyotes and just think of all the money you'll save on food and vet bills

luckypenny
March 3rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
What happened to Penny & Antonio :confused: ?

Prin
March 3rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Who? :o :confused:

rainbow
March 3rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
I was puzzled by that also. :confused:

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Ahh... Silly us, not checking the profile!

3 dogs, Circe, Pharaoh Hound, Penny, whippet, Antonio, Italian Greyhound
I hope they don't stay outside... :o

rainbow
March 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Oooops......so i wonder what happened to Circe, Penny and Antonio? :confused:

OntarioGreys
March 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking Pharoah Hound, Rhodesian Ridgeback, or Australian
Cattle dog.

What do you suggest?

That has got to be the weirdest thing I every heard asking about a pharoah hound when you already have one.

You would think having 3 sighthounds you would know they are not suited to be outdoor dogs :eek:

CyberKitten
March 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Do you plan to "surrender" the other dogs or have them and one outside dog. That makes no sense, with all due respect. You meed to have all your dogs ale to live indoors. I grew ip with my dog and cat sleeping with me so I cannot imagine leaving a dohg outdoors. That just sounds cruel - maybe you don't mean it to be but it is how it comes across to those of us who live with our pets inside. And then you add coyotes and it's Oh My God, this can't be real - this must be a test! (Not that anyone ever needs to test most of us here, lol)

Seriously, please find a dog that can live with you inside. No dog can withstand that heat. None!! They need to be inside with air conditioning , even more so than humans because they have to wear fur coats in the desert, not a good mix. You could always get what I have - some Sphynx cats with no hair, They'd love the desert!! No sweaters required!

heidiho
March 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM
They probably died from heat exhaustion...just a joke,dont think this person is coming back........:laughing: :laughing: