Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wont eat bones

x.l.r.8
February 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
So here I am again, looking to try and answer my own questions. Riley= Fine, would chew through a crate (and has) and can chomp away for ever. It's Missy, now she was starved prior to coming to me so i'm taking it easy with her, we had lots of pork so thats what she started on, you can give her a great lump and she will now chew her way through it, but I noticed she does have a way of chewing it to a pulp and then swallowing whole, but if it has a bone she backs away. I gave them both a bullwinkle after training, and Riley ran off with his for a good chomp, but Missy had real difficulty crunching it down, to the point it took for ever and she couldn't break it up at all, just chewed it till it was soggy and swallowed it. I'm thinking she has either a weak jaw? (is this possible) and needs building up to full crunching capacity (she tried a chicken neck for about second and after the first bite she gave up), she nibbles with her front teeth on rope toys and had a go at the nylabone for a few seconds, but with that her jaw never fully closes. My other thought was it maybe a global joint problem as she walks stiffly, but is becoming more mobile everyday and chases Riley much more than she did (lots of sardines and glucosamine) and I'm sure the Raw is giving her more energy. So knowing nothing about doggy stuff could it be either of these things, she's not a fussy eater so I don't think she is holding out as I can give her anything chewable and she will eat it, but crunchy she just cannot handle. I'm not to worried if she does not eat the bones as I have plenty of alternitives, but it has me a little concerned, am I wanting too much too soon, as I had it easy with Riley.
Oh and an after thought, I never tried her with pork riblets as I know she likes pork, maybe I should try that rather than chicken (she hasn't even had chicken meat), just tried a neck, maybe thats where I'm going wrong, to many vairables, I'll try a pork hock or riblet when I get home, but any additional thought would be welcome.

mummummum
February 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
(Small suggestion unrelated to your query....paragraphs are ever so much easier to read :thumbs up )

When was the last time you had a Vet look at her teeth and her jaw ? I know that my grrrl Ceili will not chew on a bone unless Bridie has already had a go at it but she still gets to gnawing. I understand the delicate nibbler thing but chicken and turkey necks are very soft, almost like chewable cartilage.

technodoll
February 2nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
my first thought would be to have her teeth checked out by a vet, there may be an underlying problem there that you can't see. dogs are very good at hiding pain but when it comes to eating, and you see they want to but can't... it could be a sign.

until then, or until the problem resolves itself, just grind up some chicken frames or neck and give her that mush along with whole chunks of raw meat and it'll all balance out :)

oh does she like raw frozen eggs? with shell?

erykah1310
February 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
oh does she like raw frozen eggs? with shell?

TD, little tips like that are great!!!!:thumbs up gonna try that, mine have little interest in eggs:rolleyes:

technodoll
February 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
i mix raw eggs in their mush meals so they have no choice to eat them :D but in the hot summer months they loooove licking on their "eggsicles"! you need to chip off a bit of shell first, to let them know there's goodies inside. just put raw eggs in the freezer, just like that. ready in a few hours. :thumbs up

x.l.r.8
February 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM
oh I can jsut see the vets face now,
me "she wont eat her raw",
vet"well give her medical then, it's better for her"
She was suposed to be checked out when we first got her and nothing was mentioned. As I said she will have a good go at the nylabone, and chunks of meat are OK, I'll try the riblets first once I get home Sunday. I've not given her any chicken at all so that might be it. I'll try the egg's but Riley does not do shell, he'll lick all around it and spit the shell out (on the carpet:mad: ). For the paragraphs :shrug: I prefer narative, I never made it through high school and I'm not about to try and start all over again :clown: i wouldn't know a syntax if I fell over it, and anyhow, I put the sexy in dyslexia :laughing: (yeah I had to spell check dyslexia as well).

rainbow
February 4th, 2007, 10:51 PM
(Small suggestion unrelated to your query....paragraphs are ever so much easier to read )][/

I agree....it' so much easier to read. I usually disregard posts that aren't paragraphed. :o And, BTW, I didn't finish high school either. ;) :o

x.l.r.8
March 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Rather than start a new thread I'll jsut do a quick update.
Riley had a very bad expierience with lamb based kibble and I would have happily labeled it as a lamb reaction, but when I was getting my last deals I came across lamb at a killer price.
Well he's not allergic to lamb, he had it two days and nothing. Tollerated it fine.
Missy and her bones can now be put down to chicken phobia. I disregarded the vet idea as she chomps the nylabone with no issues (also the camera lead and the rope pull toys) so I put a pork riblet down turned around and it was gone.
I gave her some of the lamb on the bone as well and it also went.
I think something in her past has taught her never to eat chicken :shrug: as she will not touch it raw or cooked. Nothing else phases her, Pork hocks with the skin on, pork shoulder bones, kidneys/ liver (haven't tried the chicken liver) she wolfs it all down .
Chicken hasn't been on sale for ages so it's not in issue as I have a freezer full of pork, beef hearts, livers and kidneys, beef tounge and meaty pork breast bones, all at 69c /lb. Oh and I still have one of those blasted trout left :yell:
So all is going well still. :highfive:

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 06:15 AM
excellent! I wouldnt worry about the chickens then. Maybe offer them again at some point down the road. What about turkey?