Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Year 1955

rainbow
February 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Comments made in the year 1955:

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'Gone With The Wind,' it seems every new movie has either "hell" or "damn" in it.

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas "

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

"I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to run our country."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

"There is no sense going away for a weekend anymore. It costs nearly $20 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

Byrd
February 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I've always thought how remarkable it would be if time travel were possible and we could bring people from the past to our time. Wouldn't they just freak out! :eek:

rainbow
February 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM
I'd sooner time travel back in time. :o

erykah1310
February 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Me too , i d rather travel back, if i could i would in a heart beat!:D

SnowDancer
February 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Since I remember 1955 - I started Kindergarten that year - I agree - back in time - except to that particular Kindergarten.

breeze
February 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I've always thought how remarkable it would be if time travel were possible and we could bring people from the past to our time. Wouldn't they just freak out! :eek:

but If we went back in time we all would be rich !!

Rick C
February 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: you find the present tense, but the past perfect! ~Owens Lee Pomeroy

If you're yearning for the good old days, just turn off the air conditioning. ~Griff Niblack

People seem to get nostalgic about a lot of things they weren't so crazy about the first time around. ~Author Unknown

It's never safe to be nostalgic about something until you're absolutely certain there's no chance of its coming back. ~Bill Vaughn

The world is full of people whose notion of a satisfactory future is, in fact, a return to the idealized past. ~Robertson Davies, A Voice from the Attic

[I]t becomes increasingly easy, as you get older, to drown in nostalgia. ~Ted Koppel

Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days. ~Doug Larson

Things ain't what they used to be and probably never was. ~Will Rogers

Nostalgia is a seductive liar. ~George Wildman Ball

Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory. ~Franklin Pierce Adams

Who wants to live with one foot in hell just for the sake of nostalgia? Our time is forever now! ~Alice Childress

Nostalgia for what we have lost is more bearable than nostalgia for what we have never had.... ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Byrd
February 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
LOL I think you all took that the wrong way.

We are so open minded that if we went to the future we would expect anything, anything at all. But, people from the last century (k, last last century - 1800's) and from the beginning of the 1900's couldn't even begin to imagine the world the way it is now. So, they would come here and just freak out at the cost of things, but how much we make now too, at how people dress, cars, planes, pollution, etc. Those comments prove that really.

If we could time travel I would go back and buy stocks in Apple! I would go forward too though, I would like to see what the world would be like even in 50 years from now. The change this past 50 was so drastic, can't imagine what the future holds.