Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jury Duty Scam

rainbow
February 1st, 2007, 07:02 PM
JURY DUTY SCAM:

This has been verified on Snopes.com (link listed below) and by the FBI (their link is also included below).

Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summons for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of scam has surfaced.

Fall for it and your identity could be stolen, reports CBS. In this con, someone calls pretending to be a court official who threateningly says a warrant has been issued for your arrest because you didn't show up for jury duty. The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo! Your identity just got stolen.

The scam has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma , Illinois , and Colorado . This (scam) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they're with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.

Check it out here:

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
Most people should know though that jury duty summons' are just that - summons. You have to receive the actual price of paper so they tend to come by snail mail. No court official would ever telephone a potential juror - unless the trial for which they have been sent a summons (not that it even says that in the paper work) is called off due to a plea bargain or other out of court settlement. And that usually happens after the potential juror has filled in the paperwork and sent it back or dropped it off with the Clerk of the Court's office. Also, in most provinces - not sure about BC - the lists come from provincial electoral lists (depends on whether its of Court of Queens' Bench or prov Court) and none of those have such info as SIN - the equiv of SSN in the US. And the way SSN is laid out is different than SIN. (not that this stops potential thieves of course!) .

I just wish someone would call here, lol I'd love to tell them where to go! (Get my frustration out on some fraud artist.)

So, someone is playing on the lack of knowledge people have of the court system - tho I do not know if it is like that in every state. I only know the Cdn system and some of the New England states.

I saw something about this somewhere - on some news cast. But I assumed it was a US thing.

What we get more than anything - more so at my office for some reason - (Perhaps they hope at an office, someone will be in a hurry and press one of the numbers to get rid of them) are these recorded messages saying "Congrats. You've won a prize or a trip, whatever. Press such and such a no. or call 1-888-whatever to claim your prize - and then people have this outrageous price on their phone bills and some fraud artist has collected.

Anyway - hate to see yet another thing like this come to Canada but some ppl will do anything and they prey on the vulnerable, sigh!!

dustybird
February 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM
Unfortuntely not everyone know's how the system works and I know my elderly grandmother and a few other gullable people (I could see my dad possibly falling for it to) that would end up getting sucked into yet another horrible scam.

SnowDancer
February 2nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I just wish that the summons to report for jury duty would arrive, signature required. I received mine - that had been misdirected - 3 days before I was to report for jury duty - and I was going to New Orleans on day I was to report. They wouldn't let me out of it. This was Dec. 5, 2004 - I have been called 4 time since - despite still falling within the 3 year "no call" period. Each time I have had to send in a copy of my previous "serving" notice - if I didn't have the copy, I would have been toast. I am expecting to be called in Dec. 07, without fail.