Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No one knows what's wrong!!!

carlytea
February 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
I am desperately seeking advice on my 11 mo. english bulldog. He had surgery last wednesday for a prolapsed urethra, and we decided to have him neutered while he was under. He woke up that night with "head tremors", we brought him to the ER and they kept him overnight. We found out the next day he had aspiration pneumonia and put him on antibiotics. Three days after the surgery we woke up at 5 a.m. to find him sitting in a pool of blood. There were several clots all over the room and he was just dripping from the penis. It eventually stopped, and we brought him into the ER again where he was catheterized and monitored overnight. The ER had about 10 vets who were all puzzled, there was plenty of blood in his urine, it wasn't slowing down, and there was no chance of a UTI because of the antibiotics he has been on.
Brought him back to his vet and they watched him some more, ran a second blood test and came up with nothing. Something with his kidneys was slightly off, but they said it was probably because of the meds.
We took him home again with the hopes of a little blood in his urine slowing down to nothing. Instead I woke up the following morning to him bleeding everywhere. The amount of blood isn't significantly decreasing, and there is a lot. The blood isn't even in the urine, its seperate. He'll bleed, we'll take him out to pee and his urine is yellow. The vet said that his prostate is enlarged a little, but is probably because of the surgery, and not common in a dog his age.
I know there's alot of stuff going on, but what should we do? No one seems to know the problem, I start school next week and there is no way I can leave him unattended if he continues to bleed daily.
Does anyone know if it was at all possible to damage the kidney or bladder during the neutering procedure causing this? And how would you find that out?
His stitches are all in tact, he's been on antibiotics all week (batril), and he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He has an appetite and has been drinking plenty of water. There is no rhyme or reason in his bleeding, sometimes before peeing, sometimes after. Sometimes awake, sometimes sleeping. Sometimes it drips, sometimes it's as if its beeing pushed out.
HELP!!!:fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
February 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
There is definelty something going on. My goodness that sounds horrible. Is there another vet that you can get to take a look at him? I would definetly get a second opinion after the first vets not knowing....someone should be able to find out where he is bleeding from, and why:confused:

dustybird
February 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
I am so sorry you and your pup are going through this. Since there were two surgeries done(which isn't uncommon just would be hard to know which if any were causing a problem). It almost sounds like there is internal bleeding somewhere. I have never heard of that happening from neutering though. I wonder if an ultrasound would possibly show where the bleeding was comming from(or did they already do that). Since I am not a vet I don't know if there is anything that could have been Knicked during one of the surgeries, or if they tied something off maybe it didn't hold. I don't know if things like that would eventually clot and heal on their own or not. I guess I am just thinking of things I would ask my vet. If they didn't do an ultrasound I would ask them if they think it may help find out what's going on, there are a lot places that have the equipment now and there are also vets that have a mobile unit and go from clinic to clinic. Just a thought, maybe other's will have more ideas.

:grouphug: for you and your pup and:fingerscr that he gets better soon.

carlytea
February 1st, 2007, 11:52 PM
yes, we're going back tomorrow so i'm going to run that by him if he didn't already plan on it. thanks for the suggestions...poor little guy, look at him:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/Cahly/bubbersbed.jpg

wish us luck but any more suggestions will be appreciated!

dustybird
February 1st, 2007, 11:58 PM
Awwww .... He's reallllllly cute:lovestruck:

dustybird
February 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM
This just popped in my head and I would really hate for it to be this and don't want you to worry you more. There is a disease called von willebrands and it is like hemophelia in humans. I don't really know anything about it but when I googled it plus dogs there were several sites. I guess it is just one more thing to ask the vet. Double :fingerscr that it is not and that you will find answer's soon. I have known a couple dogs with it and they were ok, just had to becareful notto get injured and the increased risk with surgery, they were both dobies, not sure if it is something that affects bulldogs.

Peepmouse
February 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
Oooooh!!! He is so adorable, Carlytea!!:lovestruck: :cloud9:
I hope you find out soon what's causing all the trouble in your little poochy.
My thoughts are with you.:fingerscr :pray: Please keep us posted on how he's doing...:grouphug:

angeldogs
February 2nd, 2007, 03:48 AM
What a cutie.i hope you find out soon whats going on with him.good luck :fingerscr.please keep us updated on how he is doing.

cpietra16
February 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
awwwww...melts your heart:cloud9:

papillonmama
February 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
He is really cute, I hope he gets better very soon.:pray:

badger
February 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm wondering if the vet who operated on your dog nicked a vein somewhere along the way. With the tests coming up normal (or near-normal), it's the only explanation. Fixing it would probably involve another surgery, which you should not have to pay for. Keep pushing, is all I can say.
What a sweet face.

Prin
February 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
What a cutie! I hope they did everything right in the surgery and that you find out what it is soon. :fingerscr

carlytea
February 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
thanks guys, well.... we went today and he removed the stitches (the urethra ones) and seems to think that there was a minor "pocket" filling with blood not in the urethra but right next to it. The stitches may have been causing a little bit of pressure so the removal should help.
We'll see what happens now, he's still on antibiotics and I'm going to bring him in every day next week for them to monitor him all day while I'm at school so still crossing fingers.
But he did say that there was no way for internal bleeding because by now he'd be in rough shape, not playing and jumping around in good spirits like he is.
And we don't have to pay for all this extra stuff so THANK GOD. He was getting quite expensive that little bugger.

H.P.
February 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
I so hope that the problem resoves now that the stitches are out! Your baby looks so sweet! I am glad that the vet is willing to keep him while you are at school, you will know he is in good hands. :fingerscr

Prin
February 3rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
:fingerscr that he gets better. The bulldogs we see here seem to be so expensive... I hope yours is ok now.:) :goodvibes: :fingerscr

dustybird
February 3rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
:fingerscr as well that the problem is resolved. He's just so darn cute, I'm glad that the vet isn't going to continue to charge you, not that it was a mistake but it was the result of something they had done, so I think it is only fair that you shouldn't have to pay.