Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Designer Breed?

dogcatharmony
February 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
I was just reading the classifieds in our local newspaper, and my jaw dropped when I read someone is selling " Morkies". It didn't say what a Morkie is they are asking big bucks for them. I take it that it is a Maltese, Yorkie cross. Have people truely lost their minds?? Has anyone else heard of a Morkie?

Hunter's_owner
February 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Yep, I have heard of them. I seen an ad for them a couple of weeks ago. Some lady around where my parents live where selling them for 1500 bucks:eek: :frustrated: It makes me absolutely:yuck:

I wanted to call her, but I figured it was a waste of my time.

dogcatharmony
February 1st, 2007, 10:48 AM
I sent the woman an email asking how someone could charge 1000 dollars or more for a dog that is basically a "mutt". There are enough poor animals in shelters, why doesn't someone take that 1000 dollars , adopt a dog from a shelter or rescue and give it a good life. I agree this makes me sick. Are these animals even considered a "prue breed", did they actually give some kind of a paper with these animals? These people,(BYB??) are also selling Maltese and Yorkie pups cheaper than the Morkies!!! I am at a loss for words right now.......

phoenix
February 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
morkies are in high demand as pocket pooches. I know a girl who has one. it is so tiny it seems sickly.

EdwinBird
February 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't spend 1500 on a purebred dog, but I understand why some people do. I can't fathom why anyone would spend the same amount on a mutt, when there are so many good natured ones for under or around $100 via a shelter.

What in the world...:confused:

Hunter's_owner
February 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM
I could justify spending that much on a Pure Bred dog.
BUT not a morkie, or a schnoodle or anything of such nature, that are NOT pure bred dogs. They are what they are: mutts. Cute and all and they need loving just as much as any dog, no matter the cost, but they shouldn't be bred as "designer dogs", as they can be adopted from any humane society or any rescue organization for much cheaper and you will end up with the same sort of dog. Not knowing the genetic history, etc., which would be the same as a dog from a byb such as the ones putting out Morkies.:frustrated:

bosluv001
March 25th, 2009, 10:46 PM
i think they are cute
ya there expensive
but there cute :P

mollywog
March 26th, 2009, 08:47 AM
SO terrible.... what some people will do to make a buck!
Pets.ca members: what do you do when you see a classified ad like that- do you phone/ email the seller, trying to let them know your opinion, or do you just turn a blind eye? I am often tempted to reply to all the kijiji ads out there and give them a piece of my mind!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

BenMax
March 26th, 2009, 09:08 AM
SO terrible.... what some people will do to make a buck!
Pets.ca members: what do you do when you see a classified ad like that- do you phone/ email the seller, trying to let them know your opinion, or do you just turn a blind eye? I am often tempted to reply to all the kijiji ads out there and give them a piece of my mind!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

I always send the e-mails. For educational purposes, for them to know the dangers and sometimes to question. If they are advertising for free - then my opinions and advice is free aswell.

TacoGrl
March 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I tend to e-mail...always polite (much more than I really want to be)...sometimes I receive an e-mail back full of cuss words and the like...mostly to mind my own business blah blah blah...I let them know the welfare of animals IS my business as it should be theirs as well...and then I stop the P***ing match, cuz no one wins those and I have made my point.

BenMax
March 26th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I tend to e-mail...always polite (much more than I really want to be)...sometimes I receive an e-mail back full of cuss words and the like...mostly to mind my own business blah blah blah...I let them know the welfare of animals IS my business as it should be theirs as well...and then I stop the P***ing match, cuz no one wins those and I have made my point.

I get those e-mails aswell - but at least I feel that I have done the best I can. I always get a good hit however - someone will surrender the dog or cat to me. This way they stay out of the hands of animal dealers. So I figure for every 9 F-Us I get - I always can reach 1 person. That one person will reach to another and so on.

Don't give up - keep going TacoGrl.! Good for you!:thumbs up

lUvMyLaB<3
March 26th, 2009, 11:01 PM
drives me INSANE those ad's!!!! INSANE I TELL YOU!!!! There are so many people that have a female dog and will breed it to another dog, because they have seen the prices, none NONE of these people take the well being of the dogs as their #1 priority, many of these dogs are bred too young, have to many litters and are bred on every heat, and that is SICK.

I email lots of em!

I ALSO HATE when people call their animlas 'prebred' because they look somewhat like the breed they think it is? By law here in canada you cannot sell a puppy as a purebred without registration papers. You cannot say purebred lab pups for sale, UNLESS they are registered.. YEs, then I try telling people that and I get my head ripped off... Because they think they can use the word purebred if they want to. If you breed a lab to another breed, chances are you will get a black pup that looks like a lab.. There can be so many breeds in that dogs ancestory that it is shocking.. but they still want to charge hundreds and hundreds of dollars.. because.. because... they are losers and they can.. THIS is something that I am passionate about. and this indiscriminate breeding has to stop... For every puppy they sell, another loving dog that has done nothing wrong will be killed, I hope they know that!

Ok.. sorry about that.. whew!.. ok I am done :)

Marty11
March 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Why doesn't the government jump in on this one and create "A licence to breed" and have rules and regs, stop the fad breeding and protect the pure bred breeders etc....... We need a dog licence to own one why not one for breeding too? Breeding is not supposed to be a money making business. To think that some of these cross breeds are selling for over 1,000 dollars, only to fill up the humane society again..........

ancientgirl
March 29th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'm to the point where I think, "If you are stupid enough to pay that much money for a mutt you can easily just pick up at a rescue, then you don't deserve to have that money."

This new fad of morkies, labradoodles, shpoodles, etc... is just really disturbing.