Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Underweight Dog!!

sissani
January 31st, 2007, 11:49 PM
I adopted a Brittany/Border Collie mix almost a year ago (he was 11 months at the time) and he has always been thin. He has actually lost about 5lbs since I got him, and remains now at a constant 40lbs. He looks really thin though... like scary rescued-from-a-starving-home thin. You can see almost all his ribs and hip bones.

I started feeding him more (after changing it to lamb and rice due to what they thought was a beef allergy) and no weight gain. Two seperate vets did several tests for parasites and illnesses and he is clean and otherwise healthy.

But the fact that I can see his ribs so clearly worries me, and I dont know what else I can do to help him gain weight. I heard supplimenting with canned food can help, but he is sometimes prone to diarrhea, so I dont know if that would be such a good idea.

Any suggestions?

Spirit
February 1st, 2007, 12:09 AM
I always suggest puppy food for underweight dogs. Evo (high protein) works well for weight gain as well, but the high protein doesn't sit well with some dogs.

Have you talked to a vet to find out exactly why he's so thin? Could it be medical?

~michelle~
February 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM
first off photo please i have a brittany (poss border collie) mix too :) i have an underweight dog and ive tried to make him gain weight (i feed evo) and when i got him he was super duper skinny and now well he's less super duper skinny. ive tried everything but he wont eat over his recommended amount of food, and hes just thin
if youve had 2 vets do numerous test, then you may just have a skinny dog. not too much you can do. try your hardest to get them to the recommended weight but so long as your dog has good fur, is active, eats well, and the vet sees no problem i wouldnt worry too much. some members here may be able to suggest test to be done. but if everything comes back negative then i wouldt worry.
plus 40lbs seems like a good weight for that mix. good luck
and please post a pic

coppperbelle
February 1st, 2007, 07:01 AM
Has your vet tested his thyroid? One of my goldens was very thin and it turned out that she was hypothyroid. Apparently only 10% or so of dogs lose weight. Most gain weight.

Lise
February 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Tess our beardie was skinny when she was younger.She was so high energy she would burn everything off.I used to give her a product by solid gold,I think it was called weight on.By the time she was five she maintained weight no problem.Thyroid checks are a good idea especially if you notice a thinning or dry coat.Good luck

mummummum
February 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
You could try canned or frozen raw green lamb tripe as an additive to his food. My gang can't get enough of it and as long as you don't feed too much (I mix a couple of tablespoons in with their Timberwolf Ocean Blue) we don't have problem with the soupy-poopies. What are you feeding him ? Evo also makes canned foods other than beef. And I "third" the hyperthyroid test.

technodoll
February 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
been there done that... super-skinny boy who only ate enough to survive. the vets found nothing wrong with him, only he was "one of those dogs" :shrug: when his hip-bones and ribs started to poke out from his thick coat we said "that's enough!" and started force-feeding him a supercharged raw diet twice per day. well he not only gained a ton of happy energy, he also gained over 20 lbs in a few short months :highfive: now he's a big, healthy heavy boy in perfect condition and we still feed him his morning meals, it's become a ritual here and it works for us. some dogs just don't care about food. :dog:

sissani
February 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
I always suggest puppy food for underweight dogs. Evo (high protein) works well for weight gain as well, but the high protein doesn't sit well with some dogs.

Have you talked to a vet to find out exactly why he's so thin? Could it be medical?

Yes, I took him to the vet, very worried because not only was he so thin, but he is prone to diarhhea, so I thought it could be parasites or something. But they tested for all parasites and worms and checked his stool and everything came back normal. They didnt check his thyroid or anything like that, and it never even occurred to me until someone mentioned it below. I might get that checked on his next visit.

downloader
February 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
been there done that... super-skinny boy who only ate enough to survive. the vets found nothing wrong with him, only he was "one of those dogs" :shrug: when his hip-bones and ribs started to poke out from his thick coat we said "that's enough!" and started force-feeding him a supercharged raw diet twice per day. well he not only gained a ton of happy energy, he also gained over 20 lbs in a few short months :highfive: now he's a big, healthy heavy boy in perfect condition and we still feed him his morning meals, it's become a ritual here and it works for us. some dogs just don't care about food. :dog:

Hi TD can you please share the recipe for that super meal. Thanks

technodoll
February 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hi TD can you please share the recipe for that super meal

sure! but i don't want to thread-jack... if you start a new thread in the raw-feeding forum i'll be glad to add some info and recipes :thumbs up

sissani
February 5th, 2007, 12:38 AM

Well he definately eats. I feed him probably close to five cups worth of food a day (split into morning and evening feedings) and even still it doesnt seem to be enough.

Hunter's_owner
February 5th, 2007, 07:31 AM
What kind of food do you feed him?

That is an awful lot of food that you give him every day...My Lab is 90 pounds and he doesn't get that much in one day.

I can't see why if he is getting that much food that he isn't gaining weight...have you had any more tests done at the vet yet?

brandynva
February 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
We have a GSD cross that is skinny. At one point she was so skinny you could see her ribs and her hip bones despite our best attempts to get her to eat. The vet didn't see anything wrong with her. She's just a very high strung dog. And she has a nervous stomach. If anything upsets her she goes off her feed. She's just now starting to fill out a little more. I've also read that it's typical for this breed to be lean for the first couple of years. I wonder if it's the same with brittany's? My dad's brittany was skinny too. Good luck!

Hunter's_owner
February 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM
that is definitely not enough food for an underweight great dane - please check this website out, there's a lot of wonderful info on feeding danes!

http://www.greatdanelady.com/quick_index_page.htm :thumbs up

TD, I think the dog is a Brittany, not a Great Dane:confused:

technodoll
February 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM
yikes! i got two "skinny dogs" threads mixed up! LOL thanks let me go fix that, i make no sense this morning :D

rainbow
February 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Five cups a day seems like an awful lot for a dog that size. What brand of food are you feeding?

sissani
February 5th, 2007, 11:11 PM
What kind of food do you feed him?

That is an awful lot of food that you give him every day...My Lab is 90 pounds and he doesn't get that much in one day.

I can't see why if he is getting that much food that he isn't gaining weight...have you had any more tests done at the vet yet?

He was origionally on Dog Chow, but due to diarrhea, he was switched to Purina One Lamb and Rice. He was great for a while and started to gain wieght as I upped the food amount. But then the diarrhea started again and now he is on EN. I'm only feeding about two or three cups of that now though, until I can get him to the vet.