Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat outside in subzero temps

kelownacatlover
January 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Our 8 month old male cat has been outside in mostly subzero temps for almost 24 hrs. What are the chance that he is ok ? WE are very worried about him. Midnight(lost) and Simba went outside last night and simba came back in but we haven't seen midnight since about 11:30 pm pst. Like i said before we are very worried about him. we have looked all over the neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods and no luck as he is a pure black cat.

vfrohloff
February 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
How subzero is it? I'm guessing that being in BC it's not terribly much below zero. I'm assuming he's an outdoor cat and this isn't the first time he's been outside? If that's the case, I would be more worried about him being hit by a car than freezing to death. Cats are very good at finding places to hide that are warm and out of the wind, and most cats stick very close to home. Have you tried putting food out for him? That's often all it takes to get the cat back, and canned tuna or salmon seems to work the best. Also, if you have a dirty litter box try putting it outside. If the cat is lost it will help him identify where he lives. It's possible that something just scared him and he's hiding; if that's the case cats often won't come out for a while, even if they are close to home and can hear their owner calling them. Good luck.

kelownacatlover
February 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
unfortunately he is not an outdoor cat. I have tried putting out food for him but the damn neighbors cat keeps eating it. We will try the dirty litter box. He is also a very timid cat and we think that he may have been scared by someone or something. and as for the subzero temps it has been as cold as -12 over night.

badger
February 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
He's probably close by. I'd get out there with a can of tuna or something similar and keep calling for him. Early morning or just after dark are best. Let your neighbours know you have lost him, in case he turns up on their doorstep, so they can bring him inside and hold him for you. I'd put up a few posters in your immediate vicinity as well. Yes, cats can find shelter, but as an indoor cat, his skills might be a bit rusty, so time is of the essence.

SARAH
February 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Poor little Midnight :cat: hopefully he's not locked up in a neighbor's garage or garden shed or similar? Happened to my Zorro once (also a black cat, scared of his own shadow). :fingerscr you find him!

Inisfad
February 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
Good idea to let your neighbors know that your kitten is missing, as they have cats he may seek to go there if he smells their cats, etc. Also check in sheds or garages, as cats are quite adept at getting out of the cold and can find the smallest shelter. I would be more concerned about cars and other animals, rather than the cold. And make sure you keep putting food out. He may also have decided he just wanted to investigate outside, as he is an indoor cat. Curious and all that.....

kelownacatlover
February 2nd, 2007, 12:04 AM
We have put out the 2nd litter box and more food and either he ate it or the neighbors cat did. I sure do hope he was smart enough to find a place for shelter, and he finds his way home soon as our son is starting to cry when we get home and his kitty isn't home yet :sad: I don't think tuna will work cause he hasn't cared for it in the past. We are willing to try any suggestions available we just want to find out kitty alive..

mummummum
February 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
I share your frustration. I've been trying to catch a stray/ feral kitten for the past two months. We can only hope that they are indeed crafty enough to find warm places to hide. :fingerscr And as for tuna or salmon foget"aboudit". The cold air inhibits travel of (believe it or not) fairly delicate odours like salmon or tuna. You might do better with raw green tripe at times you know he will feed (versus thje coons) . I am personally at a loss as this litttle guy/gal, has NO home base. Hope yours come home soon !

badger
February 2nd, 2007, 12:29 AM
Can you make a warm box for him, with an opening just large enough to get in? Straw makes the warmest bedding but a warm blanket or old sleeping bag will do as well. Also put in something that smells of you, an old sweater for instance, and place the box under a porch or somewhere out of the wind. That way, if he does turn up, he'll have a warm place to go. Keep calling; if he doesn't like tuna, try something else, the stinkier the better. The important thing is that he hears your voice. If there are ways into your basement or other crannies outside, check those out. He's afraid, and will have a tendency to hide.
Don't despair, it is still early days.

kelownacatlover
February 3rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
The first night he was out i put the blanket he likes outside in hopes that he would have somewhere that isn't concrete to sleep on it is in the corner of the garage away from the wind. We still call for him every night and every morning and we let his brother out in hopes that he will find him but no luck. I think i have seen him but i don't know if it is my mind playing tricks on me. If only i could get my neighbor to keep her 2 cats inside for a day then maybe he will be able to come home, I think that the other cats see him and chase him away cause they are not used to seeing him outside. I am trying to stay hopeful. at least i haven't heard any coyotes around or i would think that they got him.

mummummum
February 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM
If only i could get my neighbor to keep her 2 cats inside for a day then maybe he will be able to come home, I think that the other cats see him and chase him away cause they are not used to seeing him outside.

Have you explained to your neighbour why it is a life-or-death situation and that they HAVE to keep their cats indorrs for a day or so ?

kelownacatlover
February 3rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
i will talk to her if i see her and i will let my husband know to talk to her incase he sees her first.

kelownacatlover
February 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
well tomorrow it has been a week since little midnight went outside, since then I have tried every suggestion that was posted, Thank you for your suggestions but we are not so hopeful that he is coming home as we live not far from a busy road and a creek with wildlife. We truly hope that he has found a new home. We still call for him daily in hopes that he might come back but no luck so far.

redhed
February 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Hello Kelowna Cat Lover,
I just wanted to extend my understanding to your situation. In August when my hubby and I went away for 4 days my cat went to my daughter's wouldn't use indoor litter went outside with her into her highly fenced back yard ...got spooked...got over the fence and hasn't been seen since. I spent the next few months concentrating on finding her. Poster's , ads, word of mouth...hundreds of miles trekked thru nearby woods etc etc. Local veterinarian less than helpful as she said she would only check for her microchip if someone who brought her in specifically requested her to....she was a gorgeous unusual long angora haired cat....and in the small town I live in ( quite near to where you are ) there couldn't have been anyone who didn't know I was looking I advertised so much. If someone has her they want to keep her. There were various reports of coyotes in the area too so perhaps that is what happened...but there are many many strays up near my daughter's and they haven't been eaten.

On a positive side tho'...I must say that thru my searching and connecting with people I had many many phonecalls of possible sightings from caring folks which I followed up on ( unsuccessfully so far ) there are many people out there who are very compassionate. I have also heard many tales of cats who "came back" after 3 or 4 months or longer so not to lose hope.....my neighbor next door's missing cat showed up after 9 months! ( with a new collar and bell so obviously he had been going outdoors and hunting at someplace new and suddenly decided...hmmmm....think I'll go home now...LOL ) I do wish you luck with your search.....hopefully you put an ad in the paper , radio etc and have/will receive some calls. Although I've adopted 2 adult cats from the shelter ( they were surrendered together ) I still want my baby back and continue to look for her.......GOOD LUCK!:fingerscr ..........redhed

kelownacatlover
February 7th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Thank You for your kind words redhed. I have also heard of cats coming back after months i have personally seen it happened and been involved in the search for the precious kitty. WE had no luck and she did come back after about 9 or 10 months perfectly fine, and that was in Edmonton she disappeared at the beginning of a bitterly cold winter so we had figured that she had succumb to the elements. They are very smart animal and i know they can survive on their own but he his my 4 year old son's cat and we just want him to either come home or at least show up so we can see that he is alright. We still call for him every morning, every night when we get home and just before bed. We see one of the posters has been taken down we put another one up.

kelownacatlover
February 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Just a little update our midnight is home safe and sound he is a little skinnier than when he left but none the less he is home. My husband was out back smoking yesterday and he had let Simba out with him and he heard a cat meowing and turned his head and saw our precious kitty, He crept up to him and pounced cause he tried to run. So yeah we have our precious kitty back. Thanx for everything.

cpietra16
February 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Love happy endings:thumbs up Welcome home midnight

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM
So glad to hear Midnight is now safely home. :highfive: If they could only talk, eh? ;) I would take him into the vet for a check-up though. :)

kelownacatlover
February 18th, 2007, 09:30 PM
We already have an appointment with our vet for midnight. He seems to be doing ok right now he isn't hiding anymore he is starting to wander around the house and oh boy is he eating. We figure he didn't have much to eat while he was outside. my husband filled the cat dish and he ate just about all of it in about 10-15 minutes. And he is way more affectionate than he was before he went outside.

rainbow
February 18th, 2007, 09:37 PM
wwww....he's way more affectionate because he's happy to be safe at home with you again. :cloud9: Glad he seems to be okay. Good luck at the vet and let us know how he makes out. :fingerscr

heyjude11
February 18th, 2007, 10:51 PM
That's wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you. Hope all goes well at the vet.