Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training ala "people food"

Spirit
January 31st, 2007, 08:37 PM
What people food do you treat or train your dog with?

I rarely do treat training, but for some things (like improving recall), occassionally I'll surprise him with something REALLY tasty. He's quite food motivated, and sometimes praise and affection just doesn't cut it. And it can be quite the pain when he comes to me after I call him, and I'm making a huge fuss over him for being such a good boy, and he's like "Yeah yeah whatever, BYE MOM!". Damn teenagers... :mad: lol

So I was just wondering what other people use, aside from dog treats. What about you clicker people? Click! Treat. Click! Treat. How do you prevent puppy from getting fat? (I'm serious! I know you wean them off the click/treat thing, but in the beginning...)

Right now I've got some green beans (frozen, not canned - no salt) next to me and just called him in, gave him a small piece (he came slow), and sent him back out. But the second time I called him, he came RUNNING. Green beans is an old breeders trick when their dog needs to lose weight for the show ring (half food, half green beans), so sometimes I'll surprise him with a handful of those (he LOVES them).

What about dehydrated foods (at home of course, not the seasoned, marinated, sugared stuff you find at safeway)?

Apples? Carrots? Cheese? Boiled chicken?

I'm curious... do tell. :p

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 08:50 PM
I used to use pieces of cookie... That way you get 4-6 treats per cookie. :D

For people food, I pretty well limit it to meat. They won't work for anything but meat.:shrug: Bread, a little too, but Jemma's too allergic.

technodoll
January 31st, 2007, 08:58 PM
dehydrated liver! the only problem is that it creates a drool-fest :p

x.l.r.8
January 31st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Oh my, there so many things, we always have some rollover in the freezer, also liver baked untill crunchy with some ginger and garlic, they are always in the freezer for quick training. Then there's the left over meat cut into pieces, chicken weiners ($1 at no frills and A&P), cheerios in quarters. I'm realy stingy with my treats as for me it's just a taste, not a meal, so a weiner can last for ages as it cuts into 1/4 inch slices and then quartered. We have some hamburgers from the farmer (just pure organic lean beef) and they will do anything for that. Cheese is also a great motivator. Missy loves cheese and chicken weiners, and Riley will hop on one lef for a bullwinkle, he loves crunchy liver and she likes softer stuff. Neither has shown any interest in beans and stuff although Riley loved the odd roast potato, and squash, he would just go and pick one and chew it to peices, wouldn't eat any just chew it. He likes tomato but probably only because we were choping it and he wanted some aswell, he hasn't has any since and we don't eat it often enough (once a month at best).

Spirit
January 31st, 2007, 09:50 PM
lol @ cheerios.

Keep em' coming!

technodoll
January 31st, 2007, 09:57 PM
how on earth do you quarter a cheerio? LMAO! :laughing:

x.l.r.8
January 31st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Easy, put the 'O' between thumb and forefinger and squish, it always breaks into 4 pieces. :shrug: :D i mix up the treats all the time, one second they are getting liver, another a bit of cheerio, another some weiner, next cheese and so on. It's a taste thing, they are getting the chance to taste something yummy, of cousre they think sniffing the nearest bum is yummy so I don't know why I bother :p . If they are responding really well to one treat I will use that to reinforce/shape a behaviour, then add a cue before I try it on a less desirable treat. Then I phase the treat out altogether and work on new behaviours. I don't know if this is the right thing to do but it works for my boy so I kept at it.

angeldogs
February 1st, 2007, 05:37 AM
i use dehydrated liver,wellness treats.just about any treat.he's my piggy.human food.hot dogs meat.he likes toast.cereal.pretty much if it's food and goes in the mouth it works.i clicker training stops when what i'm doing can be done with just a click and no treat.

Scott_B
February 1st, 2007, 06:31 AM
Usually deydrated liver, but he also loves hot dogs. I slice em very thin, and bake em in the oven for a bit. He also gets baby carrots on occasion.

Spirit
February 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Lots of dehydrated liver here. Do they make that for people? lol

My dog loves freeze dried chicken or beef (+ liver), and frozen liver brownies (he works HARD for those, but they make horrible pocket treats).

It's not a "what's in your fridge" treat idea, but it works.

rainbow
February 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
I mostly use baby carrots or the salmon snacks that I make. They'll do anything for them. :D

mafiaprincess
February 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Depends upon what we are training and where..

At home she'll work for 1 calorie charlie bean 'cookies'.. In agility we originally started with nasty beggin strips to keep her attention on me in time we moved to lower value treats.. sometimes shredded cheese.

Having focus issues in rally and may move to chicken this week. We have a load of doggie cookies including freeze dried liver.. just always seem to have a lot of stuff on the go for variety without always needing people food.

Lissa
February 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Dodger gets loads of hand-outs (because of my family:frustrated:), so he's become very picky about the quality of a treat (must be MEAT)... If not meat he'll get NB dog food rolls or Rollover since its convenient and sometimes cat treats (but rarely).

Dodger gets treats in excess:o because we hike everyday (2-4hrs), in addition to whatever activity goes along with the season (skijoring, carting, agility, swimming and weight pulling).

Spirit
February 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
I need a high value reward! Maybe new treats, and a special "reward only" toy?

Well the sun FINALLY came out in my backyard today (the first day I've been home when it hasn't been raining since... September? MONTHS, anyway), so outside we went for some training. His dog park manners are fantastic. His at work manners are great. His in home manners are flawless. But his "outdoor on our property" manners are lacking.

We were ourside for 2 hours. We worked on three things (with play breaks, of course).

1. Recall. It was flawless - surprised me a little.

2. Leave it. Flawless indoors. Not so much outdoors.

3. Contact (target / touch)... perfect on the hand, too high of distraction when placed on the ground. We haven't played in my backyard for months, and he would take his sweet time sniffing everything on his way to the target, he'd touch it, then sniff everything on his way back to me (instead of coming straight to me). Concidering he's an agility dog, he should be ashamed of himself!

But I digress... Maybe I should eliminate treats completely for a few days (I've reintroduced them because of the clicker), so they have a higher value?

Mind you, now I kind of feel like hot dogs... lol