Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Would your dog come to your aid/protect you in an emergency?

TMac
January 31st, 2007, 09:34 PM
Okay, this is my first time creating a poll, so bear with me...

Would your dog come to your aid and/or protect you in an emergency situation? :angel:

This is all hypothetical, so examples could be:

You've fallen and injured yourself and can't get the phone to call for help. Would your dog alert someone?

You're injured and out in the cold - would your dog lay by you to keep you warm until help arrives?

A bad person is trying to mug you - would your friendly happy-go-lucky dog turn cujo on the attacker?

This is fun! If anyone has any real life stories, lets hear 'em!! :thumbs up

Byrd
January 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM
#3 for sure. The other two I'm not so sure about. If I fell out in the cold I'm pretty sure she would just pace around and cry.

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 09:38 PM
I have no idea for the first two, but the last one, I know for sure. Jemma had a man in the fetal position once (he was sneaking up behind me). I hope they would for the first two.:o

Frenchy
January 31st, 2007, 09:41 PM
I think you can relate Tmac, goldens ! I could only count on Daisy :rip: I sometimes get feelings of faintness (had to look that up in my english dictionnary!) I think it's high blood pressure, anyway, this one time I was out with Bailey and Daisy in the backyard, I knew it was coming so I rushed them back inside but I only had time to open the door and fainted. I came to after a couple of minutes and Daisy was by my side. Bailey was inside looking at me like ; what the heck are you doing taking a nap on the patio ? :p Sam is about the same, but maybe if I was attacked, they would do something ? I don't know about that. But I know Daisy would have.

TMac
January 31st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Okay, Byrd and Prin..don't forget to vote. You were too quick and I didn't get the poll up before your replies!

Frenchy - I agree. Some goldens are pretty good! Toby would probably stick by my side and whine and whimper because he thinks its strange that I'm not getting up. He "might" go get my husband if I told him to.

I think he for sure would go cujo on an attacker (except he wouldn't bite - just look very threatening and loud). He sometimes will bark at people who are dressed 'scary' and acting wierd. (e.g. teenagers walking around in black trenchcoats and faces covered in hoods etc.)!! :laughing:

Byrd
January 31st, 2007, 09:49 PM
My mom's little guy can detect seizures. My sister has epilepsy with petite mal seizures and Pepsi can sense one coming, he jumps up on her lap and looks her right in they eye, he stays there until she comes out.

technodoll
January 31st, 2007, 09:50 PM
well they do watch out for me... :o if we're in a big field and they're off running loose far away having a ball and doing their own thing, all i need to do is sit or lay down and zip! here comes maika full speed to sniff my face and make sure mommy is ok :p and dakotah he's always a bit late but then they both stick around until i get up again. so i really don't know... i picked they wouldn't run away if i dropped the leash but they wouldn't do anything special to help me. and if somebody tried to physically hurt me? nah they wouldn't do a dang thing, they're just not "human aggressive" in any way... that i know of. i could be wrong. i just hope to never have to find out :o

Byrd
January 31st, 2007, 09:53 PM
Okay, Byrd and Prin..don't forget to vote. You were too quick and I didn't get the poll up before your replies!

I think he for sure would go cujo on an attacker. He sometimes will bark at people who are dressed 'scary' and acting wierd. (e.g. teenagers walking around in black trenchcoats and faces covered in hoods etc.)!! :laughing:

:sorry:

Willow is the same way, she hates anything "strange". I think she would take a fit if anyone physically hurt me, don't know if she would actually bite, but she sure would raise the alarm and snarl and scare the poo poo out of the person. She has a BIG bark for a little girl.

~michelle~
January 31st, 2007, 09:58 PM
logan would be ass saving hero, braxton, i dunno i think since him and i are pretty close he might pull through in my time of need but he gets really easily spooked, and aiden i dont think would do anything that would mess up his hair!

papillonmama
January 31st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Dory:
1 It's probably best if I scream for help, she's always barking, so who knows when it's an emergency
2 She would stay close, but likely it would be to keep herself warm
3 She would probably growl, but she would protect the kids fearlessly, I'm just the one who brings home the food

Trigs
1 He's not really good at barking wildly, but it's possible
2 Yes for sure, he gets worried when someone in the pack isn't doing well
3 Yes he would defenitely protect. hubby and I used to play fight, but we had to stop that, he gets in the middle and uses his head to get in between and push us apart, or he'll sit on hubby's feet so he can't go anywhere.

JanM
January 31st, 2007, 10:16 PM
That's a hard one. When I fell and broke my wrist, Bobby was frantic! He kept climbing right on top of me - all 75 lbs of him! Guess he wanted to keep me warm :) He also would not let Amber near me - he growled and lunged at her when she tried to come over. My friends had to restrain him. If someone threatened me? Well, I'm not sure but I think he would go after them. Amber I would guess would wonder what the heck I'm doing on the ground and would come and kiss my face - if Bobby let her near me that is... I don't think she would be aggressive if I was threatened but I also wouldn't lay any bets that she wouldn't. I didn't vote because their behaviours would be different under different situations...

x.l.r.8
January 31st, 2007, 10:31 PM
I think Riley would stay with me, or at least someone came along with a bullwinkle :D he knows who feeds him, takes the ice out of his paws, cuts his nails and washes the dirt off him. He may not show it but I know he cares :crazy: :D

breeze
January 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure one is only a puppy she would probably lick me to death and the other one is not feeling to good so i can't answer the poll.

TeriM
February 1st, 2007, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty sure Lucy would be somewhere between Lassie and just trying to keep my warm. She would almost definately go into protective mode if I were in danger or being hurt.

I dunno about Riley yet. He is only eight months so his personality is still really developing, he is just starting to go through the "gotta protect the house and growl at stuff going on outside on the street" phase. I think he would probably stay close and would probably bark at me to try to get me moving again.

Hunter's_owner
February 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM
Hunter would also fall somewhere between Lassie and staying by my side. I am not sure exactly what he would do, but I think it would be an in between of those two. If someone was mugging me though, I fully believe that he would make a big man curl up and cry.

Cassie on the other hand, I think would stay near me, but like someone else said it would probably be to keep herself warm:rolleyes:

erykah1310
February 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM
It depends which dog i have at the time...
Meik, would prolly circle me barking.
Kita would lay down with me and start snoring, but make it hard for :D paramedics or someone to help out.. ( shes awfully protective):D
Puppy would head out to see if anyone dropped any food.:shrug:
Bailey ... I dont know what he'd do yet?:shrug:

mummummum
February 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM
That's funny Erykah ~ i think I have your dogs here !!
Bridie is definitely a Super-Hero type, Declan not sure about an out-and-out rescue but he would definitely be lying on as much of me as possible hoping for a bum scratch and barking ferociously for attention (and likely at anyone who tried to come close), Ceili would be the "Oh good, is it nap time ? Excellent. Shove over Mum." dawg. Yet, if we are outside and something is "off" in the neighbourhood or someone is walking nearby the big wusser let's out a roar of a woof and will do the lunge if a male stranger tries to approach.

pitgrrl
February 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure my dogs wouldn't do a damn thing about a threatening person (though I hope if someone full on attacked me they might try helpin' me out), as was made clear when some really sketchy men cornered me near some train tracks a few years ago and all the dogs wanted to do was give them kisses :rolleyes: Damn sound pit bull temperment :laughing:

I am pretty sure, however, that they would never leave me anywhere. Actually, I think Basil would probably just cling to me and cry while Streets tried to figure out how to get help in any kind of emergency :laughing:

Dog Dancer
February 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM
I don't think either of my girls would go looking for help if I was hurt. But they would stay with me. Well Shadow would stay with me and Halo would stay with Shadow anyhow. Halo would chase off if a squirrel went by though. I am quite certain that either would protect me if I were being assaulted. It's never been tested, but they are both very leery of strangers and protective especially if it's dark outside. Shadow will keep her eyes on a stranger until they are well away from us when we're walking at night. And both have been known to growl if they aren't comfortable about someone. I trust that emphatically.

Smiley14
February 1st, 2007, 08:21 PM
Oh, that's a tough one! I voted #3, but even that I'm not sure about. LOL! Petey is such a goofy clown/big fat scaredy cat, I can't imagine him doing anything other than licking an attacker to death. :rolleyes: I would hope he would sense beyond the norm to do something, but having never been in that situation, I really have no clue.

The only thing he ever barks at is his own reflection in the mirror.
The doorbell rings, and he totally ignores it.
ANY stranger walks in and he jumps up and gives them a kiss, tail wagging.
He gets off leash, and he's a blur in the distance.
Any loud noise, and he's hiding under the coffee table.

However, he does seem to have a complete personality change according to my mood, so perhaps there's hope. :o

When I'm sick, he stays very calm and quiet and won't leave me. He won't eat, play, or even leave to go to the bathroom for hours at a time.
When I'm nervous, he whines and licks my hands and again won't leave me.
When I'm crying, he licks my tears and brings me a toy, not for me to throw, but to give to me.
When I'm cold, he insists on sitting on my feet.
When I sit at the dog park, he will then actually come back to me right away.
And ONE time I've heard him growl. When we were anchored on an island in the Boundary Waters, sleeping on a small houseboat and the door was open, save for a screen. There was rustling in the woods, and he popped up from a sound sleep, sat at the end of my bed a few feet from the door, and growled. First and only time I've heard him do that in three years.

So I hope for #1, think maybe for #2, and am somewhat sure for #3. :D

meb999
February 1st, 2007, 09:10 PM
When we first got Buster I thought that all he would do was lick an attacker to death, since he loves every human he meets (dogs are another story though!!) But I've since learned that Buster is very protective, and I know I could count on him in an emergency...

The first winter we had Buster, I fell on some ice while we were at the park (he was off-leash), I landed on my back...hard. I let out a little yelp, and I could hear Buster running towards me in the distance.

He ran right up to me then stood over me (at first I thought it was dominant behaviour...standing over your owner...Then I read up on it and found out in a case of emergency it's protective behaviour...they don't want anyone hurting you while you're down), then some guy who was walking by started jogging towards me (asking if I was ok) and Buster started snarling, showing all his teeth, the second I said, 'it's ok, Buster', he moved asside and let the guy help me up. Back then he was TERRIBLE on leash, pulled like a madman, but that time he walked next to me the whole way home, really slowly. He's an angel :cloud9: :lovestruck:

cpietra16
February 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
well maybe if I had food in my pocket:D
When she was younger she went into the bush and came out with a very angry bear in tow...she ran past me. I had to call her back and make sure she stayed between me and the bear. Thank god the bear was just trying to prove a point and not angry enough to attack or Winnie and I would both be watching from over the rainbow bridge:D

TMac
February 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
When I'm sick, he stays very calm and quiet and won't leave me. He won't eat, play, or even leave to go to the bathroom for hours at a time.
When I'm nervous, he whines and licks my hands and again won't leave me.
When I'm crying, he licks my tears and brings me a toy, not for me to throw, but to give to me.
When I'm cold, he insists on sitting on my feet.
When I sit at the dog park, he will then actually come back to me right away.
And ONE time I've heard him growl. When we were anchored on an island in the Boundary Waters, sleeping on a small houseboat and the door was open, save for a screen. There was rustling in the woods, and he popped up from a sound sleep, sat at the end of my bed a few feet from the door, and growled. First and only time I've heard him do that in three years.
:D

awwwwwwwwww :cloud9:
Sounds like you have a real sweetheart on your hands. Dogs are so loyal, they melt my heart!

jiorji
February 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
nah they wouldn't do a dang thing, they're just not "human aggressive" in any way... that i know of. i could be wrong. i just hope to never have to find out :o

nah you're wrong Td. I can totally see Dakotah drown an attacker with his slobbering saliva trying to lick the guy off you. :laughing:

i think a lot of you are underestimating your dogs when it comes to protection. Just because they're not aggressive or weary of strangers i highly doubt they wouldn't do something is a stranger were to break in the house, or hold a gun or try to steal your purse.

HunterXHunter
February 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
:laughing: omg, I'm the only person so far who voted "No".

It's not that Hunter wouldn't come to my aid if he knew I was in danger, but I just think that he's still to playful right now and would somehow think it's a game or something fun :p However, he won't run too far away and will always keep me in his sights.:dog:

Actually, I would be more scared for Hunter than myself if someone was to try and rob me at gun/knife-point. I think Hunter would look at the weapon as a toy and try to take it and initiate play...which could be dangerous...

breeze
February 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
i think a lot of you are underestimating your dogs when it comes to protection. Just because they're not aggressive or weary of strangers i highly doubt they wouldn't do something is a stranger were to break in the house, or hold a gun or try to steal your purse.[/QUOTE]

I would rather not put them to a test, don't you agree that would be very bad

erykah1310
February 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
LOL...:laughing:
I tried this with my Rottie Keira.... After a night out on the skidoo, i returned home with it ( not mine but my dads) and I had my full skidoo suit on, helmet and all... I could see Keira through the picture window THROWING a MAD FIT... so i literally barged through the door aggressive like...... what did my killer Rottie do????

Pee'd and Ran!!! Took out the 50 gal fish tank :rip: and ran upstairs:rolleyes:

I know Meik would go insane if someone came in the house without me saying "come in"... Hes very protective of his territory