Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I found my new kitty.

megan_in_pink
January 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM
he is 6 weeks old, his name is smudge. Rigth now he craying to catch the cursur on the screen, then gose to sit down on keu board. He is really great kitten.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/habsfan/newcat014.jpg

jiorji
January 31st, 2007, 07:45 PM
awww look at that nose!!!:cloud9: :lovestruck:

TeriM
February 1st, 2007, 12:18 AM
Congrats, he is very cute :lovestruck: .

Hunter's_owner
February 1st, 2007, 07:47 AM
Very very cute kitten:lovestruck:

my[moo]
February 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
He's adorable! :D Love that pic :cloud9:

Frenchy
February 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM
woohoo ! congratulations ! too cute :lovestruck:

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Wow, he is very cute!!! You may have some challenges since he is so young - or are you waiting till he is 10-12 wks to bring him home? Or is the Rescue Center in a situation where they have to send them home that young?

Good luck!! I'll try to find some urls for looking after young kittens - kittens who leave their mama before they are 10 wks old (and in the case of most purebred kittens, breeders will not allow them to leave until 12 weeks) - have not learned everything they need to know. Or am I jumping the gun and the mother is there with the kitten?

Have you decided on a name?

chico2
February 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
CK,his name is Smudge:D
He is adorable,but a little too young,where did you get him from??
Hopefully he'll be ok..:fingerscr :cat:

megan_in_pink
February 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM
He is doing really well he eating about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of food. He was stray cat the papers said. He was in there foster program. he loves to be arond people so far.

brandynva
February 1st, 2007, 07:16 PM
I thought maybe it was a typo and he was 6 MONTHS old. He looks a little big to me to be 6 weeks, but hey, it's hard to tell with pictures! He's a cutie either way. :lovestruck:

Prin
February 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Congrats! Great pic of a cute kitty!

cpietra16
February 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM
What a cute face...:cloud9:

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2007, 09:53 PM
Ohhh, Chico - I must have missed the name - it's what I get for multitasking, rofl!!! In that case, Smudge is a cutie!!!! I think the advice to get his precise age is good - he DOES look older than 6 wks. Perhaps they said just that - esp if you bought him from a newspaper (not the best place to adopt a kitty from but the good news is he is in a good home now. Keep the phone number of the person you adopted him from just in case something happens - people have been known to advertise in newspapers and say the kitty is a stray when in fact their cat had kittens. But 6 wks could describe a rescued kitten - did they not have a mama cat who could care for the kitten until he was 10 wks at the very least? (I know, I am cynical - I just like every kitten to start out their life with the best life has to offer them and while many bottle babies and others can do well, it is an added challenge and you will have to watch for the milestones - as you would an infant, which a kitten is, only a feline one.

Get some KMR to make sure he is getting what he would if mama was around the this is the stage where he would begin to eat solid food.

Did they tell you whether he is weaned? I assume he must be if they are ready to send him out 0 - but sooo young, Gawd, they are so anxious to send him on his way!!

Anyway, he may still look for his mama and also for things to suckle on. And these are the instructions for feeding a 6 week old baby kitten.

Mix the kitten formula with baby food into a gruel and get the kitten to eat if off a dish or spoon. KMR 2nd Step works well too.
Mix canned kitten food with formula
Gradually reduce the amount of formula each day until the kitten is eating just kitten food.
At about 8 weeks of age, begin mixing in dry food with the canned food and again, transition slowly to dry food.

Do not be surprised if there is temporary diarrhea. As you know, kittens have very sensitive tummies and any change in diet can cause loose stool. Bottle feeding may be required then, reduced gradually as the kitten eats more solid food.

As for your weight, use the following formula, add in the 2-4 ounces he weighed at birth to 4 ounces per week. This can vary significantly. A vet visit would be a good idea to verify age and to endure there are not medical problems.

This is very brief and basic but hope it helps:

Kitten Milestones and stages

6 Week's Old
At six weeks old a kitten should be able to eat solid food, such as, soft canned food with no water. They may still be seeking milk from mama but if you have a bottle baby, KMR may be needed foods may also be introduced such as minced cooked meat. Some ppl will introduce baby food.

7 Week's Old
By seven weeks of age a kitten should be weaned and eating solid food.

9 Week's Old
Play becomes more aggressive as they prepare for adulthood. The kittens need to be vaccinated against Feline respiratory and Feline Infectious Enteritis.

And this kitten handbook has even more info that is helpful: It assumes you are somehow raising kittens and you are with a baby that young. But as someone suggested, ask them to make sure he is 6 wks. It is hard to tell from a pict but he does look older than 6 weeks. The ears alone look like those of an older kitten.

http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm

Enjoy your new little Smudge!!!!

rainbow
February 2nd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Very cute kitty....congratulations. :cloud9:

ADDISON
February 2nd, 2007, 05:14 AM
woohoo ! congratulations ! too cute :lovestruck:

Yes thats really cute and fairly good

enough to get trained under an expert

to make it more decent and modest in attitude.

cheers!!!

megan_in_pink
February 2nd, 2007, 06:37 AM
The foster family said the he was found as stray and was already off the bottle when he was taken back to the SPCA, he is eatting dry food (he is fussy eater) he like to suck/ like a furry teddy bear and my pj's. He looks like he is more then six weeks old but the SCPA said he was born Dec16th so that puts him at just over 6 weeks. Right now he "helping" me on the computer.

I went got him all these new toys befour we got him and broken most of them :| He LOVES to case tin foil balls, looks like this weekend I will ahve to be getting him some new toys.

chico2
February 2nd, 2007, 07:42 AM
Megan,good luck with little Smudge:fingerscr
When my little stray Vinnie was found,the vet approximated his age at 12 weeks and Smudge looks older than 6 for sure.
I would feed him more canned than dry food at this stage..here's a pic of my Vinnie at what was thought to be 12 weeks..

RolandsMom
February 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
Oh hes so cute! :lovestruck: what great colour! congrats on your new addition!

megan_in_pink
February 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
We tried the wet food, in fact i think we tried like 6 of them. He turened his sweet litte pink nose up at all of them. So far he will only eat Science Dite. He loves cat treat but does not get many of them in a day.

Next step brushing him and cliping the claws back.

He is scared of his brush, what can I do?

heyjude11
February 5th, 2007, 02:34 AM
He is adorable! As far as brushing goes, start slowly, only brushing him for a few minutes at a time. Most cats enjoy having their cheeks and under their chin stroked so that might be a good place to start. Watch for signs that he's that he's had enough, i.e., tail swishing back and forth and then stop brushing and give him a treat. This way he will quickly begin to associate the brushing with the treat and will look forward to it. Make sure not to brush him too hard as some cats have more sensitive skin than others. Use the same approach with nail clipping. Start with one nail and if he's scared or squeamish, leave it at that and follow up with a treat.
Please make an appointment for a vet check as soon as possible.
Congratulations and good luck!