Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll of the night: Do you trust your dogs?

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 06:47 PM
We hear about dogs "turning" here, not really having happened as much as people being afraid of it happening.

And then there was the dreaming thread that made me wonder how much you all trust your doggies...

So how much do you trust them?

(poll coming)

technodoll
January 31st, 2007, 07:30 PM
i trust my two beanies with every fiber in my body and every vibe of my soul :o BUT i don't always trust other people's dogs, even if i know them well. :o

papillonmama
January 31st, 2007, 07:32 PM
Okay, what kind of trust are we talking about exactly?

Is it trust about biting me? Or biting someone else? Or just not listening to commands?

I answered I trust but they are still dogs. But I fully trust them to come to me when they are off leash, I also fully trust them not to bite Me. But I'm always careful about the possibility of them biting someone else, something I think about, not fret or anything, just I think about it as a possible and try my hardest to keep them away from a situation that might cause something.

Different kinds of trust, ya know?

phoenix
January 31st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Good question!

I trust Sam with all people bigger than him (just because he can be awkward) but not with other dogs.

I trust Maia with family and with other dogs, but not with other people.

Hunter's_owner
January 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM
I trust both my dogs fully, completely. There really isn't a mean bone in Hunter's body. If he ever hurt anybody it would be from trying to be too nice, getting too excited, etc. Cassie on the other hand only has a mean bone when it comes to bossing Hunter around:rolleyes: Other than that, she desperately wants lovin' all the time:D

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 07:36 PM
I mean safety-wise, snapping, fighting, "turning" etc, not trusting as in "if I let her off leash will she run away"...

I trust my dogs 100%. I know they always mean well, and I've worked hard desensitizing them to anything a person might do to them. In other words, I bug the crap out of my dogs, just to be sure if a kid does it, I KNOW nothing will happen.

Hunter's_owner
January 31st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah I do the same Prin, and my brother does even more. My Father always says that if a dog can put up with my bro tormenting all the time, then he would trust them with anybody.:o

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, same with my bro. Maybe growing up with rescue dogs with bad histories or something made me this way, but I think it's important to test your dog.. I mean, Jemma's growly, but I've pushed her to snapping just to see how far the snapping point was. It just helps me correct her in a controlled way, and learn the signs of her approaching her limit.:shrug:

muckypup
January 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Trust them for what? Not to steal the roast beef off the table? :crazy:
I trust my handling skills but dogs are animals.
If this questioned was asked to me when I had my sheltie I would say yes 110%

BusterBoo
January 31st, 2007, 07:43 PM
I trust harley and buster 100% when it comes to those that live in my house. Other than that, Harley is my Mr. Grumps when it comes to unknown men and I do not trust harley when a man comes to the door. Buster is still a puppy so his reaction is not always predictable.

In general, yes.....I do trust my boys!

phoenix
January 31st, 2007, 07:44 PM
I've worked hard desensitizing them to anything a person might do to them. In other words, I bug the crap out of my dogs, just to be sure if a kid does it, I KNOW nothing will happen.

Prin, we've always done this with our dogs too... but with Maia, I feel like she'll let me do ANYTHING to her but I still can't be sure that she'll let someone else bug her at all. My other dogs, I'd agree that this works completely, but with Maia, desensitizing her to the condition doesn't work- she would have to be desensitized to each and every person.

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I'm lucky to have a lot of dog experienced people around me who can pop in out of nowhere and test my doggies for that too. Jems and Boobs have met soooo many people and been bugged by sooo many people.

Hunter's_owner
January 31st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah Hunter and Cassie too. Hunter has actually had a little girl that lives next door to my parents sitting on him. He was sleeping on the couch, and Cassie was on top of him, like she always is and the little girl climbed up there too:o He opened his eyes, looked at her and went back to sleep.

Cathy1
January 31st, 2007, 07:51 PM
I trust Duke completely but I don't trust Jasper because we have been having major problems with him that we are desperately trying to work on.

papillonmama
January 31st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Then it also depends on the situation, Dory is really comfortable with dogs when she's off-leash, but when she has a leash on she's very growly and other dogs don't like that. She's afraid of large groups of children.

Trigger I trust around anyone, babies, older children, and adults. I don't trust him around drunk people, they get on his nerves, unless he knows them extremely well. So, even though I trust him it's all supervised. Dogs and cats are a different story he plays hard with other dogs and cats he's barely tolerant of.

they each have their annoyance tolerance levels. Dory is a high stress doggy about a lot of things and Trigs is a chilled kinda fellow mostly.

I did a lot of the same kind of testing too Prin, just to know how far they can be pushed, but I have to say, they just let me do things that other people can't:o , so it's always really hard to say.

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 07:57 PM
But at the same time, the original reason I posted this thread was about you and your relationship with your dog. I kind of wonder about all the rest too, but people keep saying their dogs "turn" unexpectedly on their owners and I just don't think that generally happens.

wdawson
January 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
prin

the poll is kinda vague.....it implies only one dog,not two or more and does not ask about in what circumstence...IE......kids, other pets ect.
i trust george 100%....he's 14 and very mello........beathoven is 2 and sometimes he thinks he is 6 months......is the poll about biting,jumping up?

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 08:08 PM
is the poll about biting,jumping up?Attacking you unexpectedly.;)

jiorji
January 31st, 2007, 08:09 PM
He was sleeping on the couch, and Cassie was on top of him, like she always is and the little girl climbed up there too:o He opened his eyes, looked at her and went back to sleep.

"geez Cassie did you put on some weight?? ......oh it's just a human pup...phew!" :dog:

Hunter's_owner
January 31st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah exactly Jiorji:thumbs up :D

wdawson
January 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
then i trust 100%.

wdawson
January 31st, 2007, 08:26 PM
it's the cats i worry about...:eek:

Frenchy
January 31st, 2007, 08:34 PM
I trust mine 100% with people and pets. They are very submissive dogs. But I would never trust a dog off leash to not run into trouble like run away , run after a cat or some critters , get hit by a car and so on (you know,some people let their dogs out , no fence no nothing because they say he doesn't stray)

coppperbelle
January 31st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Hmmm, well I didn't answer the poll because I have two dogs and both are different. I am also not clear on the question.
Chloe - I do not trust her 100% when it comes to her biting . When she is cornered and scared I have no doubt she would bite. She came to me as a rescue with some past abuse, neglect, developed separation anxiety and now is hypothyroid. All this adds up to fear aggression although she improves every year with her trust issues.
Hunter - I trust 100% that he would not bite me or anyone else. He is just a big old guy that loves and trusts everyone. He does show some aggression (growling) when out walking and comes across another dog but I think it just a lot of noise. He is very good with any foster dog that comes home.

Lukka'sma
January 31st, 2007, 09:04 PM
I trust Lukka 100%. She would never turn on me.
She is a flock guardian breed and takes the job of protecting and guarding me very seriously, she would never hurt the flock ( husband and myself) she is watching over.

TMac
January 31st, 2007, 09:26 PM
It depends.

I trust Toby 100% not to 'turn on me' (or my husband). Even if he accidentally got underfoot and got stepped on or something, he would not snap. Probably since he's done the most training and is the closest with my husband and me.

However, I don't trust him 100% with little kids he doesn't know since some kids have spooked him before (he was frightened and barked at them) and some kids don't know how to act around dogs. I would say its not likely he would do anything, but dogs sometimes think of kids as on the same level as they are so I wouldn't ever leave him unsupervised with a little kid. That being said, he loooooooves my 3 and 6 year old neices to bits and I trust would never ever hurt them. I think its because we've established that they are not at his level. i.e. he obeys when they give commands etc. Does that make sense?

I also would not trust him 100% with other dogs since some dogs he likes and some he doesn't like. I supervise him very closely with dogs.

oooo...I just got another idea for a poll....would your dog save you in an emergency or come to your aid to protect you....? lets see if I can do a poll...

Byrd
January 31st, 2007, 09:32 PM
I trust Willow would never hurt me, I can do the most terrible things to her (the last week with the cut and then the eye drops prove that) and all she'll do is try to get hugs.

Now, I clicked the first one, but I didn't realize that it was to do with others as well, I thought it was just if we trust them not to 'turn' on their owners. I do not in the slightest trust Willow with kids, but, that's just a lack of understanding on her part, kids are scary! How the heck to I desensitize her to kids without getting a kid hurt?

x.l.r.8
January 31st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Riley always gets the question "is he friendly", and the answer is too friendly, when I first got Riley we were in the high street meeting someone I hadn't seen for a while and telling them about how great he is, my back was to Riley, and my friend raised her eyebrows, I turned around and saw a mother holding her 2 year old up to Rileys face, I slowly turned Rileys head away and he was desperate to turn back and lick the childs face (who was hanging onto his ears at the time), thne he was humped by a 4 month old female cockapoo. At the park, if another dog is being pushed around he rushes to help out, he's like everyones big brother. 3 years ago I would never admit it but dogs frightened me, however I liked the idea of getting one in our new house to have a good reason to walk the trails and get off my arse, I did some research 6 months ago and the rest is history, I used to be scared of my wifes yorkies some 16 years ago. But to see the liberties I take with Riley NO-ONE would guess. he's great and has taught me lots, and for that I have grown with him making a very special strong bond. He may not recall very well in the park, or be the most gracefull but I would trust him not to harm anyone or anything.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 1st, 2007, 01:18 AM
I don't trust Joey with other dogs - and he needs to be introduced slowly. He can also be a bit moody with my kids at time, especially if they are being loud or jumping around near him - but has never bitten them - the other day my son was walking into our kitchen and he didnt see Joey and tripped and fell over him - Joey got pretty startled and let out a snarl - but didnt do anything. Honestly I think he was just startled.

At times Joey will follow my kids around the house wanting hugs and pets and attention - other times he likes to be alone. My kids are learning when Joey wants alone time.
:sad:
....actually tonight my kids were at a friends house - and my eldest son was bitten by their dog. It wasnt bad at all - and my son couldnt remember what hand. Honestly I think it was my sons fault more then the dogs - cause apparently he was being pretty loud around her and playing near her food dish - he knows better - and we had a talk. The dogs owner felt horrible about it and said she disciplined her dog for it - but for me I had to have a talk with my son too - and remind him that he needs to be calm around dogs, and give them respect.

TeriM
February 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM
I 100% trust Lucy and Riley to never ever intentionally hurt me (can you say broken nose Prin ;) ). Riley is still very puppyish and loves everyone and we have worked hard to maintain that attitude. Lucy can be difficult with some dogs (on leash and small agressive dogs especially) and she did used to have issues with kids but luckily my nieces and nephews have worked her into the fact that kids are actually pretty good (that and getting every kid she ever met to give her lots of cookies :D ). I still would not trust her 100% with kids although I do have every confidence that she would not hurt them but she could give them a bad scare.

TeriM
February 1st, 2007, 01:31 AM
Just one additional observation:

Has anyone else noticed that if the person your dog is around is comfy/confidant with dogs that there is never an issue but if the person is afraid of dogs then that is when the dog wierds out?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 1st, 2007, 01:36 AM

Has anyone else noticed that if the person your dog is around is comfy/confidant with dogs that there is never an issue but if the person is afraid of dogs then that is when the dog wierds out?

Well my neighbours our petrified of dogs - but Joey just ignores them.

One time I was walking Joey at night - and we walked past a man that gave me the total creeps - anyways Joey just started freaking out on him - I dont know weather he sensed that I was freaked out - or if the guy was actually a creep. :)

Hunter's_owner
February 1st, 2007, 07:41 AM

Yes Terim, I have noticed this. I have 2 Aunts that are afraid of dogs. One, the most afraid, doesn't make an issue of it, just acts as if everything is ok and feels generally comfortable when she gets to know a dog. But still if Hunter ever ran up to her she would probably go right off the deep end. Hunter doesn't act weird around her at all. He knows to leave her alone, he never gets attention from her anyway, so he doesn't care at all.

Now the other Aunt, don't really know how to act. When Hunter goes towards her, she puts her hands and him and says no Hunter. So one of us usually steps in and takes care of the situation. But if we aren't around, she will keep talking to him and pushing him, so he keeps staying around and pushing back:rolleyes: He doesn't know he isn't welcome, he don't understnad the message she is saying:shrug:
Really I think she isn't afraid, she just wants to make an issue out of it:rolleyes: :frustrated: :o

But yeah, when someone is afraid and makes an issue of their fear, I think it confuses the dog, and they don't know how to react.

Rottielover
February 1st, 2007, 08:27 AM
I trust harley with me 100%

Lise
February 1st, 2007, 08:43 AM
I trust our guys with our family.Nell is a collie with a high prey drive so I would not put her in a situation with lots of little kids running around.Tessa and Molly are both trustworthy in any normal situation with anybody,although Molly is dog aggressive with some dogs.I trust my dogs,but I try not to put them in situations they are uncomfortable in.

erykah1310
February 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM
I personally feel that this way of looking at things is dangerous Yes. Completely. There's not a bad bone in their body. You never know...a situation could come up that threatenes your dog, and ... well i think its better to not think this way..

I do trust Nikita alot... she is very well balanced and behaved, however, I dont dismiss what she "could" do:shrug: so I always make sure to keep her close to me in new situations.

Meik... I trust, but he scares me sometimes.:shrug: The reason for his attitude ( if you will) is me.. I've said a thousand times before and have no problems saying it a thousand more times. I messed him up. And being a border collie, he has an extreme urge to herd everything... kids and BC's can be a dangerous mix if your not careful. Especially mine.

Puppy I trust, he is loving and just wants some luvin from everyone he meets, BUT... he is a big powerful dog ( even with his leg problems) accidents are always a possiblility with all dogs, I keep a close eye on him too with kids.

Bailey... I dont know yet... I introduce him to new things ( to me, maybe not to him) with caution, just because he's little, doesnt mean he cant hurt someone:shrug: Im not going to venture a guess with him right now...he's still pretty new round here.

mummummum
February 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
The grrrlies I trust without hesitation simply because like many others here I've gone out of my way to expose them from puppyhood to odd noises, sudden movement, different types of touches etc. Declan ~ not yet. He still has lots of issues with sudden hand movement, men in general, being held, being enclosed and so on and so on. But he has come so incredibly far in the last year ~ I'm very, very proud of him.

Dog Dancer
February 1st, 2007, 01:48 PM
With me, my son and my BF I trust both dogs completely. They would never intentionally hurt us unless we totally abused their trust - which wouldn't happen. And if it did, then we'd deserve it. I'd do the same.

I trust Shadow's instincts around other people. If she's acting odd around someone, I know she has a reason.

Byrd
February 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM

YES totally!!! Willow is bad with kids, but if the kid is a dog person then she is fine with them, if they are scared she totally bugs!

Smiley14
February 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hmm, another hard one! With me, yes absolutely, I trust Petey explicitly. I had a dog with fearful agression in the past and when I got Petey, they told me he was gun shy. Knowing he had some fearful tendancies, I tested him in every possible situation I could imagine. Luckily, his fear is not aggressive like it was with my Max, but his is to cower and shake. Very sad to see, but I'd rather have that than him lashing out to bite like I had with Max.

With Max and his fearful aggression, I could do anything to him and he wouldn't touch me. He was extremely protective of me and would lash out at anything or anyone else, including those he already knew and had been friends with prior. I had absolute faith in him for my safety, but none at all for others.

With Petey, I again have absolute faith in him for my safety. I can annoy, take way, pester, scream, etc to my heart's content (testing) and he'll just sit and tolerate it very stoicly. When he hurt his paw once and was in pain, he would nip at the vet, but would let me touch and examine him all I wanted, even if my touching it or turning it caused him pain. I can shove my hand into his dish while he's inhaling his food like there's no tomorrow and he will back away immediately. I can pry open his mouth, reach my hand in and take away a precious bone or toy. When he is nervous, hurt, or afraid, he will cower against me. I have absolute trust with this dog.

With Petey with others, I absolutely have no fear, but I am always mindful that he is still a dog. Hence, I voted for yes, but am mindful of his still being a dog. He did nip at the vet once when he was in terrible pain, so this makes me aware that he may not always be so tolerant of others, but only in extreme situations. He has been climbed on, pulled on, shoved around, and has had his "posessions" taken away by toddlers, and he just kisses them. I've even heard him squeal in pain once when my three year old, 35 pound nephew did a belly flop off the couch and landed directly on top of Petey very HARD before I could stop him, but even then he tolerated it. He is extremely stoic. When nervous or afraid, he hides rather than lashes out. Even a stranger can reach into his food dish, and he will only look at them with unhappy eyes and wag his tail softly in confusion. He is just a dream with people.

So I trust him absolutely, but I am still yet mindful that he is a dog and it's better to be safe than sorry!