Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some prayers

phoenix
January 31st, 2007, 10:49 AM
I am asking you to send some vibes our way... my parent's dog Buddy is very sick and dying. It's really hard, but I'm praying that he passes peacefully and soon.

He is about 15 years old or so, a shep/lab x from the humane society. He has been a farm dog all of his life, and has never really left the farm at all. He's been wobbly on his legs for a year or so, but still full of life... but the last week he hasn't been able to walk without falling. He still tries to go outside to relieve himself, but isn't that successful... his poop is black ( we think maybe stomach cancer or something).

My parents feel it is his time to go, and aren't intervening with vet care, although they are doing everything they can to make him comfortable and clean. I tried to convince them to have the vet out to help him sleep (sorry, I can't stop crying here) but they won't do that... can't do that, I guess... When our last horse was euthanized, my dad stayed with him and the horse seemed to him to go through pain during the process, and now dad can't go through that with Buddy (he said it would be like doing it to me). It's impossible to change their minds. Buddy weighs probably 150 lbs or so, and can't get into a car... we might be able to lift him onto the back of the truck but it would likely hurt him a lot and would stress him more than we could bear I think.

So, Bud, PLEASE let go and sleep. We'll be okay but you have to let go.

Skryker
January 31st, 2007, 11:08 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: Phoenix! I'm so sorry about Buddy. I hope he passes soon. :grouphug:

cpietra16
January 31st, 2007, 11:14 AM
I 'm sorry to hear about Buddy....Buddy sounds like a fighter. Maybe Buddy needs to hear your parents tell him that it's Ok to let go...Buddy go peacefully and painlessly :pray: :goodvibes:

Frenchy
January 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM
I'm so sorry :sad: :grouphug:

breeze
January 31st, 2007, 11:28 AM
May he go in peace :grouphug: :sad:

Hunter's_owner
January 31st, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'm so so sorry.:sad: Such a hard thing to have to go through:sad:

:grouphug: :goodvibes: :grouphug:

mummummum
January 31st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Buddy ~ we are all afraid to some extent but we must all pass from this life. Let go of this life my friend ~ go gently with your kith and kin amidst you.

:grouphug: to you and yours Phoenix.

papillonmama
January 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM
This must be so difficult for you all. We send out our prayers for Buddy and your family as well.

phoenix
January 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Thank you so much. I just got back from a visit. he can't go into the house (stairs) so he is in his bed in the garage (heated) with a heated blanket. When I got there he was on the floor- he'd tried to walk out but didn't get all the way. He eventually did manage to get back up and back to bed. My dad got in his bed with him and told him to go... Bud's just got too big a heart... he is deaf but I hope he can 'hear' us anyway through our touch and from watching us. It was nice that today he did watch my dogs a lot, and they went over and gave him kisses. It seemed that he was not so bored.

Anyway, I'm just heart aching for my dad who is having such a hard time dealing with this. You know when your hero - dad is always so tough and takes care of everything... and with this he is falling apart... it is very hard to take.

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 05:27 PM
I'm so sorry, Phoenix. :grouphug: I hope he goes peacefully and painlessly. :fingerscr

rainbow
January 31st, 2007, 05:49 PM
This is so sad. :sad: If his stools are black he has internal bleeding. I hope Buddy passes peacefully. :grouphug:

Peepmouse
January 31st, 2007, 05:56 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy, Phoenix.:grouphug: :pray: I'm praying he'll just fall asleep and let go. It's always hard when our aging friends start having more & more problems. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family.:pray: :grouphug:

TeriM
February 1st, 2007, 01:10 AM
:pray: A big hug for Buddy, you and your family. Hopefully he will pass peacefully soon. He will definately know that he is loved :love: .

Inisfad
February 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM
My prayers are with you and your family. I hope he falls asleep soon and goes nice and peacefully.

badger
February 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
I too hope he goes swiftly, but I think it is unfair to the dog to let him die by inches and in pain. We would never subject a human to this kind of 'natural' death (well, not deliberately..)
Why can't you have a vet come to the house and euthanize him quietly, in his bed? This would be by far the kindest thing to do. Perhaps you could volunteer to snuggle with him at the end and your father could stay away.

phoenix
February 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
well badger, he is not my dog.

they have a vet (as it is a farm) that does house calls. My dad believes that euthanization CAUSES pain (try and convince him otherwise, he saw what he saw the last time when it did not go smoothly with a horse). Bud is not (as far as I can tell) in pain... he is incapacitated and he is ... well losing dignity, I'd say. But still bright eyed and aware most of the time. Doing a lot of sleeping. Today he ate a bit.

Anyway, I hear you I really do. But it is not my decision to make, and I think until Buddy IS in visible pain (and hopefully this does not happen), I won't be able to convince my dad about the vet.

A lot of people die 'naturally' from cancer. (human euth isn't legal as far as i know...) People take off the machines, the meds etc and wait to die. And that's what my dad wants for Bud... to make him as comfortable as possible through this process. And he certainly is doing that.

Puppyluv
February 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM
:grouphug: :goodvibes: :candle: :pray: Good vibes and prayers from Layla and I.

badger
February 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you or your dad. I imagine you've told him that a skillful vet can do this so that it is utterly painless, notwithstanding his unfortunate experience. But perhaps things are just too fraught, I understand.
My sympathies to you all.

Prin
February 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, my grandmother died this way... And my old dobie too (the vets were closed Christmas eve). Not the best way, but if they're not in pain, it's not horrible either because everybody gets to say goodbye.:o

I hope it doesn't drag on though.. That wouldn't be too nice for the doggy. :fingerscr

erykah1310
February 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
Virtual :grouphug: to Buddy and you and your family..

Smiley14
February 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM
Oh I am so very sorry to hear about Buddy. You're all in my thoughts. :grouphug:

phoenix
February 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks everyone. Oh I hope too that it doesn't drag on as well. He seems to want to stay so badly. Today he went outside and lay in the snow for a while (he has always liked that). But then he couldn't climb back up the hill, so Dad put a tarp under him and pulled him back to the house like a sleigh. When I visited and left tonight, his breathing was much rougher but he still lifted his head up and looked at me.
I am so concerned for my parents as well as Bud. They are spending every waking minute caring for him and it is taking a big toll on them (my dad is 70 years old).
Your hugs mean a lot, it is not something you can really talk about at work and things so it is nice to vent here a little.

dustybird
February 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Not good with words at times like these but I can send hugs to bud, your parents and you.:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

HunterXHunter
February 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
May Buddy pass in his sleep dreaming of your parents, you, and...food! :p

:grouphug: :goodvibes:

Prin
February 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
:grouphug: I know what you mean about not talking about it at work. :grouphug: for your parents. :fingerscr

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Sorry about Buddy - - I hope he passes peacfully over to rainbow bridge soon - :grouphug:

meb999
February 2nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
I can't believe I missed this thread :sad: I'm so sorry Phoenix....
Please vent away, we're all here for you :grouphug: :grouphug:

phoenix
February 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
Bud finally fell asleep this evening and didn't wake.

Thanks for all of your support. I have posted in the other section a little tribute. Maybe I can find a digital pic to put there, i don't have one on this computer.

cpietra16
February 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
My Condolences to you and your parents. It's so hard to go thru losing such a huge part of your family. I think he knew it was Ok to go. RIP Buddy, your friends are waiting for you.

meb999
February 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM
It's sad to see him go, but at the same time I'm sure you're relieved that he didn't suffer for long. Hugs :grouphug: to you and your family.

breeze
February 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM
http://www.cuddlecards.com/aug02symp1.html

I hope this helps with your grief

phoenix
February 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you ! That is so nice, Breeze!

rainbow
February 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your family's loss but glad Buddy didn't have to suffer long and that he went peacefully. :grouphug: My condolences to your parents as well. :candle: