Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CityNews: Why Your Cat Needs A City License

boomerang257
January 30th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Can't seem to find a thread about this topic, thought I start one here to get your thoughts/comments about what the Cities are about to start enforcing.

Here's the news article from CityNews today :

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_7356.aspx

Not sure what you folks think, I am ALL AGAINST IT ! Its not about the money and it is not because I own 3 cats myself, but I strongly feel that this is just going to backfire. Why? Cuz we will now have less folks who will be willing to adopt stray/homeless cats as a result of this new financial burden, and we are talking about an annual fee that needs to be paid for as long as your cat lives. Does anyone know of a logical/reasonable justification for this? I'll even accept a half-decent one, cuz what I've been hearing and reading so far (from City officials of course) are pure crap! :frustrated:

TeriM
January 31st, 2007, 12:57 AM
I object to this fee. I can live with the dog fee because there are some services provided (poop bags, dog parks, garbage emptying etc) but feel that this is mainly just another money grab.

papillonmama
January 31st, 2007, 09:01 AM
That is strange, instead of fineing people for keeping their cats in the house, which is obeying the bylaw they should be reducing fees on cats that are strictly indoor cats. I mean, licencing is required for all petsToronto, but instead of being so hard on responsible owners, and searching them out, they should make the amount less and maybe they'll come in on their own.

There's no BSL on cats, I don't see how they think they have a right to search a persons home.

When they come to my door I'm going to turn them out, no one is invading my privacy.

mummummum
January 31st, 2007, 01:30 PM
I think it's about time. There is no difference from Animal Control's perspective~ the cat without tags they've just rescued from almost certain death frozen to the snowbank in -25 weather versus a dog is exactly the same ~ an animal in need of rescue. Thre should be a standard as to what is permissible behaviour on the part of their persons/ guardians. In my world every dog and cat would have a microchip not tags.

Gazoo
February 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I object to this fee. I can live with the dog fee because there are some services provided (poop bags, dog parks, garbage emptying etc) but feel that this is mainly just another money grab.

good point

Mocha's mum
February 4th, 2007, 07:49 PM
They have the cat licensing thing here in Edmonton, but they sure don't go door to door to check if cat guardians have licenses. I guess it's based on the honor system...I think it's a cash cow....

happycats
February 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I've lived in Oshawa for 7 years, and have always had to licence my cats, but when I first moved here I bought the lifetime one (you had to prove your cats were altered) and I think at the time it was only $25.00 per cat.
I feel if this money goes towards pets, (strays, shelters, vet care) then I see no problem with it.
I also hear TO is eventually going to fine people who don't spay of neuter, and I think that's GREAT:thumbs up and hope ever municipality jumps on this band wagon!!!