Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

..and they cats have an instinct to kill

cpietra16
January 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
A friend sent this to me... cute
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/cpietra16/untitled.jpg

One week after being born, six baby skunks were abandoned by their mother.? Luckily, we had just weaned five kittens off of our resident farm cat a day before and hoped that perhaps she might take them on as her own.? She was reluctant at first, but she let them nurse - a positive sign.? Two weeks have gone by and the six little "Stinkers" are thriving and their new mom couldn't be happier.? She has become quite devoted to them and even carries them around to show them off to visitors

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Well, I checked snopes because I'm such a pessimist and skeptic and I couldn't find anything...

Cute pics. :)

CyberKitten
January 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Awwwwwwwww, cute picture!!! I've admittedly never seen a cat care for or nurse baby skunks but certainly they come to the rescue of other babies at times. (I almost typed skinks, me and my typos, lol - do NOT want any designer skunk breeds.)

Boubou
January 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM
OMG, that is the cutest thing ever!!!!!!!! I absolutely loooove skunks, and baby skunks just steal my heart.

We had a baby skunk abandoned in a cardboard box (outside our grooming shop) and when I opened the box, I thought he was dead, he wasn't moving and was cold. So I picked him up and he made the slightest noise and I knew there was hope! Got a heating pad and a kitten bottle with formula and saved him. I had to give him to a recognized rescue group when he was about 4 months old because it's not legal to keep wild animals and he was really starting to stink up my house!

But they really are cute, and unfortunately, very misunderstood!

Skryker
January 31st, 2007, 12:54 AM
Awwww! I've seen dogs and cats foster baby squirrels and raccoons before, but not skunks! Kudos to the cat's owner for taking in abandoned skunks.

I love skunks, too, and think they get an underservedly bad rap. I'm willing to bet that they stay in the barn, though-6 little Stinkers would be a bit much in the house. :laughing:

Kristin7
January 31st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Another skunk lover here... great pics! And the cat - she looks almost exactly like the one I had growing up (a barn cat too).

Frenchy
January 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
That's too cute ! I actually saw on show on Animal Planet, they have beauty pageant for skunks in the U.S. More and more people own them as pets.

~michelle~
January 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM
I HATE SKUNKS!!!!:sorry: i love all other animals, bears, snakes, cats, dogs, porcupines, lions, mice, spiders. but i fear skunks.....
i lierally had one chase me and although not many people believe me it is true one chased me for a blocka dn a half (they seems amm sweet and wobbely but their fast when they wanna be!) I know this is abnormal behaviour for skunks but eversince then i have been traumatized. i would not be sad if the skunk was extinct (and it wasnt harmful to the ecosystem) I fear so much being sprayed by one too and the dogs like to try and chase them so i have a feeling its going to happen one day... i have chills down my spine just thinking about it.

Boubou
January 31st, 2007, 11:41 PM
But that's what makes them so darn cute, they are very bold and will chase you. That's a very funny story, i could just picture you running with this little furry skunk waddling behind you! oooh, so scary! :laughing:

~michelle~
February 1st, 2007, 07:11 AM
it was scary..... i am forever traumatized

JennieV
February 2nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Just wanted to tell you.. At least skunk is ok, its a bigger animal...But what do you do when a squirrel goes for your throat???:eek:
My friend has this FOBIA of squirrels....I however fear cockroaches...!

Frenchy
February 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Just wanted But what do you do when a squirrel goes for your throat???:eek:

:offtopic: I was attacked by one when I was about 12 yr old :o I was in a park and tried to feed one with a granola bar I had, it just bit my hand and didn't want to let go :eek: I had to go get a rabie shot at the clinic that same day :frustrated:

chico2
February 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
That's sooo cute:lovestruck:
I watch a couple of skunks every summer through the safety of my window,they love peanuts and leftover birds-seeds.
Some friends of ours in the boonies had a tame little one,this pic is from about 15yrs ago,so don't look at me:D just the baby-skunk,he was sooooo cute:love: