Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whole Dog Journal

coppperbelle
January 30th, 2007, 09:05 PM
The February issue of the Whole Dog Journal is their annual dog food rating. There are quite a few new foods on the list, many of which I remember seeing being discussed here. You have to be a subscriber to view the article but it is well worth the price for so much information.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/index.html

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Cool. Do you know if it's in the magazine? (the paper version)

btw, their site is: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/index.html

Frenchy
January 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
So we can't see the list ?

meb999
January 30th, 2007, 10:09 PM
some feeding websites'll have the list out in a few weeks....for free....

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I found it!! http://www.villagepawsandclaws.com/WDJ_Feb2007.pdf
:thumbs up

meb999
March 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM
awsome thanks Prin!! :thumbs up

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Still no Barking at the Moon or Wolf king on there though.. And they still divide up all the solid gold foods. :confused:

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Ooo look at this one:
http://www.caninecaviar.com/adultchicken.html
I didn't know about that one yet.

Ooo and this one! (Except for the beet pulp)
http://www.caninecaviar.com/venisonpea.html

meb999
March 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Wasn't there someone in Singapor looking for a dog-food?
Check this out : Addiction food....mmmmm....kangarooo....I bet Boo and Jemma aren't allergic! http://www.addictionfoods.com/singapore/prod_dog_kangaroo.php

Kangaroo Meat
Rice
Sorghum
Flaxseed oil
Dried Apples
Garlic
Rosemary Extract
Natural Antioxidants
Leucine
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine
Arginine
Valine
Lysine
Phenylalanine
Threonine
Isoleucine
Methionine-Cystine
Histidine
Methionine
Tryptophan
Cystine
Choline Chloride
Vitamins & Minerals (Choline, Niacin B3, Pantothenic Acid B5, Thiamine B1, Pyroxidine B6, Riboflavin B2, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Iodine, Selenium, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Chloride, Potassium, Calcium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Magnesium, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate and Calcium Propionate)

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but what about Sorghum? I never remember what that is.:D

meb999
March 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM
hehehe, it's a grain...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorghum...other than that, I don't know what the heck it is either :shrug:

meb999
March 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM
oooo tryptophan...isn't that the stuff in turkey that makes you sleepy? Buster could use some of that!

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM
lol it's an amino acid.:D

meb999
March 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
yeah, but it's an amino acid that makes you sleepy, right?? I don't know, every Thanksgiving after my dad says : Man, that tryptophan's makin' me sleepy...
Unless my dad is secretly taking amino acid pills :eek: :D

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
lol maybe it makes you sleepy... I thought turkey made you smarter though... Gonna have to go eat some to find out.:D

meb999
March 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
naw, it doesn't make you smarter...I'm living proof of that! :D

meb999
March 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
oooooooooo, I love the internet!

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question519.htm

Turkey does have the makings of a natural sedative in it, an amino acid called tryptophan. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid, meaning that the body cannot manufacture it. The body has to get tryptophan and other essential amino acids from food. Tryptophan helps the body produce the B-vitamin niacin, which, in turn, helps the body produce serotonin, a remarkable chemical that acts as a calming agent in the brain and plays a role in sleep. So you might think that if you eat a lot of turkey, your body would produce more serotonin and you would feel calm and want a nap.

That was the conclusion that led many people to begin taking a dietary supplement of tryptophan in the 1980s as a way to treat insomnia, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned tryptophan supplements in 1990 because of an outbreak of eosinophilia-myalgia, a syndrome that causes muscle pain and even death. The FDA said contaminated tryptophan supplements caused the outbreak.

But nutritionists and other experts say that the tryptophan in turkey probably won't trigger the body to produce more serotonin because tryptophan works best on an empty stomach. The tryptophan in a Thanksgiving turkey has to vie with all the other amino acids that the body is trying to use. So only part of the tryptophan makes it to the brain to help produce serotonin.

It is the whole traditional Thanksgiving meal that can produce that after-dinner lethargy. The meal is quite often heavy and high in carbohydrates -- from mashed potatoes, bread, stuffing and pie -- and your body is working hard to digest that food. Also, if you drink alcohol with your dinner, you will likely feel its sedative effect, too.

There is a way to take advantage of the tryptophan in turkey. If you have trouble getting to sleep one night while there is still leftover turkey in the refrigerator, you could have a late snack of turkey and that, nutritionists say, might be the right amount of tryptophan on an empty stomach to help produce some serotonin.

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM
That makes me hungry...

hehe, I don't think it's the potatoes that make me tired so much as the family. :laughing:

SnowDancer
March 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Prin. I am glad that Elmo the Eskimo's food once again made the list.

stergeR
March 7th, 2007, 03:12 AM
-double post-

stergeR
March 7th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Wasn't there someone in Singapor looking for a dog-food?
Check this out : Addiction food....mmmmm....kangarooo....I bet Boo and Jemma aren't allergic! http://www.addictionfoods.com/singapore/prod_dog_kangaroo.php

Kangaroo Meat
Rice
Sorghum
Flaxseed oil
Dried Apples
Garlic
Rosemary Extract
Natural Antioxidants
Leucine
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine
Arginine
Valine
Lysine
Phenylalanine
Threonine
Isoleucine
Methionine-Cystine
Histidine
Methionine
Tryptophan
Cystine
Choline Chloride
Vitamins & Minerals (Choline, Niacin B3, Pantothenic Acid B5, Thiamine B1, Pyroxidine B6, Riboflavin B2, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Iodine, Selenium, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Chloride, Potassium, Calcium, Phosphorus, Sodium, Magnesium, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate and Calcium Propionate)

U meant me? haha..
The ingredients looks good! I saw this brand over here as well. But didn't really take notice of it. Maybe its a new formula over here..
hmm..my lady aren't exactly allergic to all meat except chicken and (maybe some other stuffs too)? I would consider it if i still couldn't find any better food for her. Since i have some problem with TO right now! :yell:
Thanks meb999

One Beagle Girl
March 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Prin, thanks for posting that link!

The WDJ top foods is losing credibility with me. Wellness? Come on! Do they not consider the fact that Wellness reduced the quality of the food in order to get a Wal Mart contract, and then changed the food again without telling the consumer?

And Wysong Anergen?? I took P off that because I kept finding cat kibbles in the bags. No one at Wysong quality control responded to my calls regarding that problem. One of our customers brought back a bag of Wysong Growth because there was mold at the bottom of the bag. Those experiences made me very wary of Wysong's products.

:sorry: but it makes me think WDJ doesn't do much investigation into the products they rate.

SuperWanda
March 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I have still been feeding Orijen for awhile now - I thought it was considered a better food - does anyone know why it wouldn't have made the list?

ingredients :
Fresh chicken meat, chicken meal (low ash), turkey meal, steamed russet potato, fresh-caught Northern Whitefish, chicken fat, fresh whole eggs, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, tapioca, chicken broth, sunflower oil, flaxseed, Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, spinach, peas and tomatoes, sun-cured alfalfa, apple fiber, psyllium seed, rosemary extract, yeast extract (MOS), glucosamine HCl, cranberries, black currants, chondroitin sulfate.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS
Chicory, burdock and marshmallow root (FOS), rosehips, stinging nettle, marigold flowers, L-carnitine, fennel seed, chamomile flowers, milk thistle, chickweed, summer savory.

ORGANIC MINERALS
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS
Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium (B. bifidus), Saccharomyces (S. boulardii).

PREMIUM VITAMINS
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

Guaranteed analysis:
Protein 40.0% (min.)
Fat 16.0% (max.)
Carbohydrate 16.0% (min.)
Moisture 10.0% (max.)
Fiber 3.0% (max.)

Prin
March 7th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Probably too new. Their list isn't amazing or anything either, you know? I mean half of those start with a grain, and the other half have brewer's rice in the first few ingredients.

Orijen is great. :)

gypsy_girl
March 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Send an e-mail to Peter @ Champion and ask him to have WDJ do a food review. I think manufacturers send the requests in, I don't think WDJ solicits or looks for new food....

Prin
March 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, or maybe (the cynic in me asks) it depends on how much ad revenue you've given them over the past year? :evil:

SuperWanda
March 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks - made me a little nervous cause I thought it was considered the bible for dog food.

Prin
March 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM
no.... To me the dog food project ( www.dogfoodproject.com ) has more to offer than this little once a year list. And I think the contributers to the dog food forum here give pretty good tips, too.:D

spottydog
March 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I use Addiction! I did lots of research before i got it for my dog, the vet recommended it for him when he was diagnosed as allergic to meat. I was really relieved when his scratching and scaly patches cleared up. However your dog doesn't have to be allergic to anything to eat the food, it looks great and I only wish my dog could eat all the novel protein flavours they have. It's not that new a brand in singapore, been around at least 3-4years. Yes you should check out the website: www.addictionfoods.com.

Emmalou
March 18th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think the Whole Dog Journal takes advertising.

spottydog
March 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I'm not able to comment on WDJ's credibility, but I recently managed to look at the WDJ March issue listings. The usual suspects like Merrick, Azima, Canidae, Nutro, Solid gold are on the list. You need to register so I don't have it on hand. I was very excited to see my pet's food on the list - Addiction! I do feel comforted in seeing it in WDJ, somehow knowing that I'm feeding my dog a good food, but that's really my personal opinion.