Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lyme disease in dogs and breeding?

ajkatie
January 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I have a 2 year old Yellow lab that was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about a year ago. But he is healthy now. Would there be any effects or health issues on him, the mother, or puppies if we decided to breed him? Could he carry the disease on to the mother or puppies? Thanks

rainbow
January 30th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Ummm, most of us here are pro spay/neuter so you are probably going to get a lot of heated answers.

OntarioGreys
January 30th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I would run a PCR DNA test first to be 100% sure he is clear if you decide to do

Labs are the most over bred dog in North American, it is estimated that their could be as many as a 120,000 are euthanized every year in NA due to lack of homes available for them, this does not include the numbers that are turned over to shelters and pounds that are then sold to research labs or for use in vivisection since no reporting of those dogs are required.

In Labs there are increased genetic problems

In this day and age I would not consider breeding a lab unless I was a breeder who showed and had champion lines, any dogs I choose for breeding would have to have already have 3 generations on both dam and sire side that were proven clear of genetic disease by use of Cerf and OFA testing, the pair chosen would also have to earn their championship titles and be Cerf and OFA tested. And breeding would be limited severely to maybe 2 litters in the dogs lifetime The reason because is it not worth producing more unless they are of the very best quality because every pup that is born ends up costing the life of another somewhere else, I would be picking mostly homes with other very responsible show breeders inorder to preserve the breed at it's highest quality not will the goal of producing pets, but the pups born that are not of the best confirmation would be sold to pet homes under very strict spay neuter and return contracts inorder to prevent them from becoming a burden on shelters and pounds.

So my questions to you

Is your male of the absolute highest quality from proven genetically clear lines and you taken the steps to prove he is also free of genetic disease? What is the end goal of your breeding plan, Are you under the understanding and acceptance of responsiblity that if the pups produced are going to be sold as pets, that even if they do go to good permanent homes that they still displace other labs in need of a home thus you must accept that you are adding to the numbers killed, experimented on or dissected in the name of science.

Breeding of any dog should be considered an extremely serious responsibility but when you choose to breed a dog that is already extremely overbred, it becomes even more serious in it's impact