Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Suture removal

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Umm, does anyone know if I can just go to any vet to get Mia's stitches out??? Cause she was spayed at a vet that i dont normally use and well... its an hour and a half away. They said to me that " cats usually end up chewing this out" and pointed at her purple stitches... but she hasnt ( thankfully) and on friday they are good to come out.

jiorji
January 30th, 2007, 02:25 AM
yeah i'd say you could. WHy not.

If a vet can't take out stitches then ......:confused:

TeriM
January 30th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I usually just take them out myself. It's usually the vet tech who does it anyway so I'm sure you could take her anywhere.

dustybird
January 30th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I would just go to my regular vet(actually I would do it myself but don't recomend it unless you've done it or told how to). Most places the vet isn't the one who takes them out anyway it's usually one of the tech's. They may charge you a small fee since they aren't the ones who did the surgery. If it was for something other than routine like a cruciate repair I would go to the vet who did it as they would most likely want to take a look to make sure it was healing properly. But for a spay it doesn't matter.

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I dont mind paying a small fee for it... Im just gonna call the semi local place in the morning and see. Hopefully they will do it. I could... but I cant.... I pulled one of my own stitches out once and almost passed out... so I cant do it:o

jiorji
January 30th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I pulled one of my own stitches out once and almost passed out... so I cant do it:o

i take it you're not a scab picker either?:evil:

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Oh yes I am!! Just the feeling of that stringy thing sliding through my skin....:yuck: gave me the "Heebiest of jebbies" :D

Dad of Dog's
January 30th, 2007, 02:49 AM
If you wanted to take them out yourself just take a pair of nail clippers(human) and hook any part of the stitch and cut through. Once you have broken the stitch pull it out from the knot end. It should just slide out with little trouble. If it is a little stuck it is usually just the scab and won't do any harm removing the stitch.

Any vet would remove the stitches for you if you can't do it yourself.

CyberKitten
January 30th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I agree- it is not complicated and the vet is not the one who will be doing it anyway. You could always get someone near you to help if you are concerened.

Good luck!!

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I know what you mean about the Heebie Jeebies, erykah! I've removed stitches at home, but I'm very much not happy about it while I'm doing it :eek: I had to give Macie her Lyme booster the first year we had her, too--took me about 15 minutes to steel myself to put the needle in and after all the agonizing and adrenaline (on my part), she never even noticed! I still almost passed out, though! :o

Whenever possible, we let the vet techs do it! :p I'm sure you won't have a problem at the local vet--and they can do a followup on a spay if they don't think everything is healed well, too... They'll charge, but if you're like me, it'll be well worth it! :thumbs up

Frenchy
January 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I never tried on a cat but I usually take the ones on my fosters myself. But they're big dogs, it's easier.

rainbow
January 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM
I've also taken them out myself but if you are not comfortable doing it then go to the vet nearest you. If they do charge it won't be much.

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I called today they are gonna do it for free, they said it doesnt take long and they would rather me go in especially if i am uncomfortable doing it.. but they are gonna walk me throgh it...:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
January 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Erykah, good that they'll do it for you at no cost. I was at the vet's office once to have stitches out of my last pooch who had to have her anal glands removed. She had stitches on either side of her bum. So there's a guy in the lobby and he's like "Oh I take my dogs stitches out myself." I looked at him and said "For what I paid for the surgery, and where these stitches are - they can do it themselves." Yeah, I'd have to pass on taking out the stitches too, I'm just way too squeemish.:yuck:

rainbow
January 31st, 2007, 06:26 PM
I called today they are gonna do it for free, they said it doesnt take long and they would rather me go in especially if i am uncomfortable doing it.. but they are gonna walk me throgh it...:thumbs up

That's really nice of them. You'll be a pro for the next time. :D