Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should people be allowed to have exotic pets?

Seiya
January 30th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I would love to hear what you think!!...I believe that, pets are pets, they are all exotic in their own silly and unique way, I do not think that you have to go to the middle of the jungle to get something special ...I live in a country full of exotic animals, and I guess that we view them in a different way...but I ask myself what people in countries like the US have to say about this topic...hope to hear from you soon!!!!

technodoll
January 30th, 2007, 12:26 AM
i think we have domesticated a big enough variety of animals already, many to keep as pets (rodents, some common reptiles, lizards, fish, cats, dogs, birds...) I say leave nature alone please. birds are not meant to be kept in small cages with their wings clipped, nor hamsters in tiny plastic cages, etc... let's not even talk about the exotic animal black market. it's so wrong, on so many levels IMO. :sad:

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I agree, I find it so sad seeing parrots in pet store cages talking away and repeating profanity that people teach it... They should be free ( If not born and raised in captivity) As far as tigers, and other exotic cats in the black market, that is disgusting, its SO easy to obtain one too... then what??? they grow up and become the wild animal they are and get abused or killed.:mad:
Even just crossing wolves and dogs ticks me off, they are WILD by nature... let them live in peace.

dustybird
January 30th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Well just about every pet is exotic when you think about, but I really believe there is no need for new exotic pets. Just about everyday you hear of another new poor helpless animal(feathered, furred, scaly etc...) being forced to be someone's pet. There are pleanty of animals to choose from, there is no need for anymore. Most of the ones that are kept should have never been kept in the first place. I really don't understand why some people feel it is their right to take any creature they want, who is happy and healthy and minding it's own buisness(I have problems with that word) and forcing it to live indoors or in some plastic or metal etc... prision...it's just cruel. I really wish there were more or better regs. on what animals can be kept and how just about anyone can become a breeder.

There has always been a problem with over population of dogs and cat's and now other's are falling the victim too. Just going on petfinder or to shelter's that take anything like the one in Toronto, you can see how bad it's getting. Rat's, rabbits(all rodents), turtles and lizards, birds are all ending up in shelter's. Are they there because they are unwanted, unable to take care of or because their previous owner wanted to make room for the latest cool pet. There are far to many people that have the type of pet they have just so they can say "oooh look what I have", and it just sits in some cage on display like a trophy, it's some sort of stupid status symbol.

Now growing up like a lot of people I have had the rodents and most although not all came to our house because someone we knew didn't want them anymore. Yes we had iguana's and currently have two snakes. One iguana was a rescue(who was in really bad shape) and one snake was a rescue to, the other snake and iguana were taken care of but just not wanted anymore. We took them in and we love them just like we love our cat's and they had no where else to go. Should we have; hard to say. If your someone who loves animals and really wants one for the right reason but are allergic to everything a reptile may be your only option, does that make it ok; hard to say. To many people get pets without fully doing their research and then become overwhelmed and in the end the pet suffer's the consiquences.

What's done is done, it's not like the majority of these animals can be released back into their natural habitat but please stop trying to domesticate new species. Of course the people that need to be told won't be reading this and if they were probably wouldn't care. There is a webiste that I can't remember at the moment where people post looking/selling or to trade all sorts of animals including bears, moose, zebra's you name it, its on there. At one time there was even some prince from I don't remember, Egypt or something(doesn't really matter) looking for a specific big cat and was willing to pay anything for it. By the time I was done looking at the site I just felt sick.

Bottom line for me anyway is we don't need to make any new animals into pets, there are way to many to choose from already. A lot of which we still don't know enough about.

Well that ended up longer that I wanted and some of it probably didn't make much sense, but I just get so riled up about it that I can't get it how I want.:frustrated:

LM1313
January 30th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Well, I believe people should be allowed to have ferrets, which are classified as exotic in some areas (like California.) Of course, ferrets aren't really exotic, they've been domesticated for centuries and I believe they were the primary vermin catchers in England and Europe before domestic cats were imported.

Any non-domesticated animal that needs to be "harvested" from its natural habitat should NOT be caught to be a pet. Any large non-domesticated predator should NOT be a pets--lions and tigers and bears, oh my! (Remember, domesticated does not mean "hand-raised" or "captive bred". It means that the animal has been selectively bred to be compatible with living with humans. Dogs are domesticated wolves.)

And really . . . fish should not be pets. Poor fish.

rainbow
January 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I say leave the exotic animals where they belong......in the wild.