Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggy dreams

Mocha's mum
January 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM
So, does anyone wonder what dogs dream about? I'm sitting here on the couch with the lap top, and Mocha's growling and twitching and kicking his little stubby legs...:laughing: I love it! But I wonder....what is he dreaming about? Maybe someone's taking his bone, or touching his toys....:laughing: :laughing:

I also heard that it's bad to wake up a dreaming dog. Is this true? Mocha will do this high pitch whine/bark, so hubby will sit up and pat Mocha until he settles....how cute :lovestruck:

technodoll
January 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM
:laughing: you beat me to it... I was JUST going to start a thread on doggy dreams, inspired by my beanie lying on the floor "galloping", muzzle twitching, ears vibrating, grumbling and throat-barking... :D maybe he's dreaming of chasing a choo-choo train? :laughing:

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Kita is a dreamer... she suckles in her sleep the most though:shrug: its adorable...
Puppy too dreams every night, just when he hits a deep sleep, he gives these monster growls followed by a teeny tiny *yip yip*... its adorable too.
Meik doesnt dream much and neither does B, that I have noticed anyway.

TeriM
January 30th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Love those adorable dreaming dogs unless they are dreaming real loud while I'm trying to sleep. Lucy sleeps very deeply and I have to actually get up most times and gently touch her to get her to stop. Plus if she is on the bed the whole freakin bed starts rockin when she gets chasing whatever is in that furry littly dreamin head :lovestruck: . Riley does dream but not nearly as much as Lucy.

One of my cats also dreams a fair amount.

normag
January 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM
My dogs dream too they are fast asleep and making those little yip yip noises
and there legs look like they are running its really funny to watch them.

rainbow
January 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I often wonder what dogs dream about. My husky hardly ever dreams but my lab does quite frequently. I only gently wake him if he seems distressed.

Scott_B
January 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Rosco is a dreamer! He sleeps down stairs in his crate and he'll wake me up while I'm upstairs in bed! He barks more asleep then he does when hes awake. He does the sleep running too. Its cute. I gotta try and get it on video.

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM
This morning Kita had a funky dream... she had her paw up by her nose and was pawing at something... i guess she finally uncovered it cause her little stubby just started a waggin.....:D she found herself a great treat...:D

Cathy1
January 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM
When I first got Duke he would have bad dreams. He would start yelping, then shaking and ended with urinating himself. During a bad dream we would talk to him in a soft voice and found that he wasn't urinating anymore. Now he has a lot of good dreams (constantly wagging his tail) until Jasper wakes him up and only has a bad dream once in awhile. Jasper is always doing alot of yipping and running in his sleep.

Mocha's mum
January 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Kita is a dreamer... she suckles in her sleep the most though
Mocha does that too. Maybe he misses his mom....awwwww! I like when his little whiskers twitch too....:laughing:

Lastnight, we all went to bed, and I was just on the brink of falling asleep. I could hear Mocha was starting to dream, but didn't think anything of it. And then WHAM! He kicks me in the kidney! Talk about a wake up call! For a 20 pound dog, there sure was a lot of force in his little legs !! :laughing: I told hubby about it this morning, and he was surprised I didn't get mad ('cause apparently I'm super pleasant in the morning :o ). But really, who could get mad at that??!! It was hilarious!!

Byrd
January 30th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Willow mostly wags her tail in her sleep. I've never seen a dog do that before, maybe it's easier because it's so short.

She also does the typical barking, twitching, suckling, etc.

They are so cute when they dream. :lovestruck:

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Boo runs, drinks, barks... humps... (he humped maika in his sleep after meeting her that day that's for sure). Jemma is more dainty. She just runs and barks. She barks like crazy when my man comes home from work, and one day she dreamed about it and nearly gave us a heart attack.:D

I do wake them up if they seem to be having nightmares though, or if they seem to be too frantic in their sleep. I've always heard the rule was if you can wake them, it's a dream, and if you can't, it's a seizure.:o

Scott_B
January 31st, 2007, 04:26 AM
How do you wake them Prin. I've read that its better to make a noise then startle them awake. Close a door, snap your fingers, something to make a sound that make wake them up with less shock from their nightmare.

cpietra16
January 31st, 2007, 06:37 AM
Winnie dreams all the time. From her movements, it looks like she's hunting which scares me because Crunchie, the kitty always sleeps at her neck:D I never wake her; fearing that she might grab Chrunchie by the neck, turning a dream into reality:eek:

mummummum
January 31st, 2007, 02:00 PM
Ceili is the only one who has bad dreams ~ and it's funny-peculiar-weird since she is the only one of all the dogs I have ever had ~ she is the one I have bad dreams about and I had my first horrible night terror about her when she wasn't any bigger than a handful.

When Ceili is vocalizing during sleep/ a dream what I listen for is fearfulness and anxiety versus competetiveness or jealousy or other play behaviours. I wake her up with long strokes along her side. The depth of touch increases with each stroke so as not to surprize her from sleep.

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 02:20 PM
How do you wake them Prin. I've read that its better to make a noise then startle them awake. Close a door, snap your fingers, something to make a sound that make wake them up with less shock from their nightmare.

I just pet them gently. That always wakes them up. :) (like mum said)

Scott_B
January 31st, 2007, 02:25 PM
I've always been cautioned against touching them to wake them up. This may startle them if they're having a nightmare. Rather its better to just say their name to bring them out of it before you touch them. But you know your dogs best. :p

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Well, with my doggies, there's no chance of getting bitten or anything because even in their dreams sometimes they get yelled at :o , so I'm fairly certain their training doesn't stop when their eyes are shut.:D

rainbow
January 31st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Like I said, I just gently wake them too, and I've never had a problem. If stroking them gently doesn't work I talk softly and stroke a little firmer. I've done this with all my dogs and we've had quite a few over the years.