Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much exercise does my dog need?

crazyforcats
January 29th, 2007, 09:45 PM
How much exercise does my puppy need? She is 13-weeks old, her mom is a Shih Tzu - Bichon and her dad is a Lhaso Apso - Chihuahua. She is currently 4 lb 13 oz.
I have been walking her twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, 10-15 minutes each walk. I have no idea if this is too much for a little pup like her, or okay. She is being crate trained, so spends alot of time during the day confined (I work at home so I can let her outside to pee throughout the day). Her day goes something like this:
Walk at 5:45 am
Breakfast at 6am
Crate at 7:30am
Supervised free run at 12:30pm until 1:30pm
Supper at 5:00pm
Supervised free run until 6pm
Walk at 7pm
Supervised free run until 11pm
Bedtime

Does this look okay? Is she getting enough exercise?

~michelle~
January 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
your dog should let you know when they have had enough exercise. they;ll be more relaxed and less stressed and prob sleep well if beinf sufficently exercised. also if the weight stays at resommended weight for the size you should be ok

crazyforcats
January 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I should add that she doesn't seem to like going for walks very much. I have to literally carry her until we're in front of the next-door neighbor's house or she won't move at all. Even then, as soon as she's had a pee she tries to turn around to go home all the way down the street. When we've gone around the block and back on our street she pulls me the whole way home. If I take a short cut down our back alley (usually when it's really cold out) she'll stop at our back gate and not move. Will she get used to walks, or do these breeds not like the outdoors much?

4thedogs
January 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Young pups energy levels will increase as your puppy ages. They will require more and more exercise. Walking is great for growth, muscle mass but not the best for getting rid of excess. Very few dog owners actually give their dogs enough even with their best intentions. If your puppy seems to be super energized much of the time, becoming destructive, etc they are probably not getting enough.
Most dogs, especially puppies will get a boost of energy about an hour before bed time.
Get your puppy running around, playing fetch, tug, or any activity that is high energy to tire them. Training also helps to tire them.
If they are trying to release energy on their own too often they are not getting enough.