Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ever find a dog you can't catch?

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 08:07 PM
There have been quite a few threads from people here who find doggies and keep them while they try to find their owners. I think that's great. But I can't ever catch the buggers!

Tonight, we saw a white husky roaming around, so we followed it and tried to get it in the car... A half hour later, without success, we completely lost him. He would go through people's backyards but always end up back on the street until we lost him.

And Christmas eve, there was a poodle on the road and a whole bunch of people stopped to try to get him, and nobody got him.

So how much effort do you put in? I mean, I feel so horrible for not helping that husky, especially since it's so fricken freezing, but he just doesn't seem to want to be helped.:o

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
This morning on the way to work, hubby saw a dog along Hwy 12. He stopped, opened the door, sweet-talked the dog, and it hopped right in. he he he...maybe it's just you, Prin! :evil:

I have to admit, though, that I've never known anyone else as good at cajoling stray dogs into the car. Hubby just seems to have a knack for it. :shrug: And it never works for me, either, Prin... :o

breeze
January 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
We mostly find the dogs in the summer at least one, we never had to chase them they would always come to the back door (guess they smell my dogs) the worst is if you have to call the city cause you can't find the owner, thats hard cause you never know what they are going to do with them.

jiorji
January 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM
god...how would YOU feel if some weirdos in a dark car followed you around trying to shove you in the back seat?;) hehe

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I know Prin, I am in the same boat, but I didn't post about it because I felt bad. My way of dealing with guilt is to try not to think about it:o

My brother, saw a dog caught in an animal trap out by my parent's house. So he helped the dog by letting him out of the trap, and said the dog was so nice and friendly, but he couldn't catch him after he was let out. (By the way, he beat the crap out of the animal trap so that it would never catch anything else).

Anyways, he went back the next day and couldn't find him anywhere. :shrug:

Maybe he went home:fingerscr but I would really like to know.

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, we tried everything. We just popped the door open in front of him (some dogs jump in). We tried calling him one by one... Nothing. The only reaction we got was going from a trot to a full out sprint. :rolleyes:

Oh and it happened this summer too. I stopped to get a little schnauzer and ooo boy, did he give me an earful.. What a vicious little bugger.

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2007, 08:17 PM
god...how would YOU feel if some weirdos in a dark car followed you around trying to shove you in the back seat?;) hehe

LOL...how do you think I met hubby? :eek:

he he he...just kidding! :laughing:

Frenchy
January 29th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Happened to me twice. The first winter I moved here, on my way back home after work. This black doggy running in the ditch by the side of the road, went back to my place to get a leash (I have a leash in my car since this) aan went back, it was very dangerous because I had to park the car by the side of the road, half way on the road. The doggy just ran away. Saw him 2 weeks later, he was limping but still was running away from me. Last year,saw one run by in front of my house, called him, he never turn to look at me, got in the car,couldn't find him. I left food in front of my house and was on the look out all day. Never saw him again. And then there was Lilly....

jesse's mommy
January 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I always have a box of Cheez Its in my car to coax them in. Dogs looooovvvveee Cheez Its. :lovestruck:

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 08:29 PM
The doggies around here I can usually catch. There are so many loose doggies in my neighborhood, but they usually end up at our house because of our doggies and we're the only ones without a fence in the front so they can get in. They're easy... It's the ones who are soo far from home that they start to freak out, I guess, that I can't catch. And it seems as though I see so many, so I feel so guilty. I mean it's COOOOLLLLD tonight and that poor guy is probably still out there wandering. :sad:

Frenchy
January 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I see so many, so I feel so guilty. I mean it's COOOOLLLLD tonight and that poor guy is probably still out there wandering. :sad:

I know how you feel. :sad: But you can only do your best and you did. Maybe the doggy found his way home and is resting in front of a fireplace :pray:

technodoll
January 29th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I always have a box of Cheez Its in my car to coax them in

you wouldn't have to coax me very hard :D

on a serious note... some dogs are skittish, and being in a fearful situation just makes their nervosity worse :shrug: i know if dakotah ever got lost he would jump on the first person who called him and lick them to death. maika, on the other hand, would probably slink away and take a long time for her to trust anyone... very different natures. :dog:

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah Hunter and Cassie are the same. Hunter would jump and lick whoever, but Cassie would run in the other direction:shrug:

4thedogs
January 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I think some people just have a connection with dogs and they just trust them where others just scare them more. Hard to know what you are unless you try. I have seen some that were scared to go to anyone except that one person who they seem to instantly trust. Sometimes it is the way you do it.

jesse's mommy
January 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'm telling you, Cheez Its work everytime. Just take a little handful and toss it their way -- of course they munch them down because they are usually hungry. After they finish they look inquisitively towards you and just hold them in your hand and they slowly come towards you and will (they always do) come over and take a couple out of your hands. Then you just slowly lead them to the car and give them one at a time. When you get to the car, toss a few in the back and they jump right in. :thumbs up

(Yes this is a tried true method and has never failed me. :D )

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I think some people just have a connection with dogs and they just trust them where others just scare them more. Hard to know what you are unless you try. I have seen some that were scared to go to anyone except that one person who they seem to instantly trust. Sometimes it is the way you do it.

In most cases I agree, but some dogs, it just don't matter. Cassie don't trust anybody she don't know really well. She is just really skittish, and it takes her a long time to warm up to anybody. Even the people who normally all dogs like, Cassie will have to warm up to them.:shrug:

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I've never met a doggy who didn't like me, other than the ones I can't catch.:D They don't give me a chance. :shrug:

I know for Boo and Jemma, all you'd have to do is open the car door. Or if you're not in a car, with Boo, just talk in a really high voice and crouch down. For Jemma... Well, she needs a man.:D

dustybird
January 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I've been lucky most of the time but there was one I tried for 2hrs to catch and eventually lost him. I was on my home from work and I lived in London at the time(ontario) and if anyone is from there you know how busy oxford street is, espsecialy the intersection of adelaide and oxford. Anyway this choc lab ran right through the intersection at rush hour, I have no clue as to how he didn't get hit, he was so fast no one really noticed. I followed him down oxford and parked the car on one of the side streets. Called for him, stopped and looked at me and so I moved slowly closer. He looked like he was about to bolt again so I got on my hands and knees and slowly crawled towards him thinking maybe I looked submissive to him(can't imagine what everyone driving by thought, nor did anyone try to help). He took off again, jumped back in the car and same senario over and over, hopeing he would get tired. Luck was definately on his side as he ran across the road several times and each time inches away from being hit. Sure would like to know what happend to him. Most of the time they come to me but on occasion just barely in arms reach so I just quickly lunge for the scruff of their neck, not the brightest idea but I would rather be bitten then see one get hit and the relief on the owners face and knowing the dogs back safe at home makes it worthwhile(unless the owner doesn't care then you wish you never found who they belong to).

Note to self- invest in a box of cheeze snacks. Would beggin strips work they smell pretty strong?

Lissa
January 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I don't move towards a loose dog, I let them come to me. I generally get down on their level, avoid eye contact (sometimes turn away from them) and eventually they make their way over. When I did chase after a dog (because he was close to a busy road), it made him even more unpredictable. He was so focused on getting away from me that he "forgot" any road sense he had... I never did catch him:sad:
Last summer, a lab mix got loose at the trailer park...everyone chased the poor boy everywhere - kids on bikes, crowds of people blocking roads and a very big/loud man kept running/shouting at him... The dog of course was terrified and would bark and run away. Everyone at this camp is french and while I am technically bilingual, I didn't want to intrude (we are the only english speaking people on thr grounds so we don't know anynbody LOL)... But after 30 minutes of that nonesense, I stepped outside, sat in the rain and clapped my hands as the dog ran by... He was so relieved to see someone not chasing him that he ran over - of course everyone thought it was my dog! It turns out he belonged to a visitor who hadn't even been out looking for him:mad:

Inisfad
January 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Seeing a dog in such circumstances and not being able to help is an awful feeling, and you go home usually thinking the worst. I'll have to try the Cheez It thing, since it's so highly recommended! But if you've done your best to try to help, and still have been unsuccessful, I don't think you should 'beat yourself up' over it. I saw a beautiful red setter a couple of weeks ago on a rural road. He was all skin and bones and running down the street. There was a car behind me so I had to maneuver to pull over, and by the time I did, he had disappeared. I walked and drove around the area for over an hour, but couldn't find him. The frightened look in his face, and his skin and bones haunted me for days after.

Rottielover
January 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
The only stray I found was a female pitbull. She was really nervous, i left my old dog at my moms, whil I tried to get her. chased her ( not running ) for 30 mins, finally cornered her in a school yard. Giving lots of space. She was tired and obviously PG. I sat down for 20 mins, and finally she approached me.
I had cheese and bears leash. she let me .
I brought her back to my apt, and asked my neighbor what I should do. He worked for the city. He said DO NOT call the city, she is illeagal.
So while my mom looked after bear, I was on the phone with the spca.
The guy reported her missing
Anyways a few hours later he came to pick herup, I did not want to give her back, he was drunk, and told me it is not the first nor the last time she has been loose.:mad:
Fast forward 2 2 weeks later. Bear and I were walking on a main blvd in pierrefonds. All of a sudden the same loving dog I knew came charging at us, growling teeth bared. I froze.
her teats were down to the ground. I heard tiny little cries over her growling. I grabbed bear and walked away hoping nothing would happen.
She had just given birth to puppies. Called the city, I had no choice. Someone could have been killed, or mauled because she was protecting her babies.
I believe she did not attack me beacuse I found her 2 weeks before.
I still thank my lucky stars.
She was not returned to the owner. My neighbor said nothing more.
Unfortunetly I do not think she was one of the lucky ones, once again no fault of her own.

phoenix
January 30th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Prin, I doubt it's you! I think dogs do sense who they can trust. BUT... I bet it is the car. They're cave like and for dogs afraid of being penned up they likely would avoid that... and if you start chasing that's the end of it. I do find that crouching down, not chasing, and having food is pretty much a fail-safe.
Maia would never go up to a stranger or let herself be petted unless 'properly introduced'... EXCEPT I think for cheeze its (haha) or any other tempting food source.

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I saw him today! We were headed out of our neighborhood and there he was, on a leash, probably with his owner, looking sooooooo happy. It was great. :highfive: :highfive:

Frenchy
January 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM
She was not returned to the owner. My neighbor said nothing more.
Unfortunetly I do not think she was one of the lucky ones, once again no fault of her own.

:sad: What a sad story , I hope her owner is chocking on his beer. :mad:

catsnatcher-CDN
January 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Yo Prin,

I seem to be the CDN magnet for strays.
There were two incidences when dogs didn't come to me willingly when I called them.

But then I said "SIT" and then "STAY" (or ASSIS, RESTE)
and like robots they just did it. Gave me enough time to leash them.

;)

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM
So you're saying your "assis" and "reste" are better than my "allo le pitoo"? :D

catsnatcher-CDN
January 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
............ouais!

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 08:39 PM
No wonder. :D But we didn't stand a chance with this husky. As soon as we got within about 10 meters of him, he'd bolt whether we said something or not. I'm glad he got home though. Even if home is a different place than the one he left.:o (Because he looked so happy and smiley)

Frenchy
January 30th, 2007, 08:49 PM
oh that must be it !!! You talked to him in english but he was a french doggy !!! That's why he ran away :shrug: He just didn't understand. :p

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 09:01 PM
lol no, I think it was the other way around. I talked to him in French but he was probably English.:D

mummummum
January 31st, 2007, 02:15 PM
And some dogs just know they are not wanted and loved at home and run like heck when they get the chance.

OntarioGreys
January 31st, 2007, 08:38 PM

Mostly about the dog and there personalities, some dogs once lost become extremely anxious and panicky to the point they won't ever respond to their owners, others are so laidback that when lost they act like it just a field trip. then you have everything in between. I had a cocker Buddy that would wander off if I was not careful watching and just go visiting, Maya on the other hand, I would not dare give her any opportunity to get loose, chances are I would never recover her alive, she turns into a basket case when upset, her ability to reason/think simply shuts down and she functions strictly on the raw instinct to flee, and is not capable at the moment to recognize my other dogs or myself. I get to see it often enough in Maya, who I have had for 3 years who frightens and panicks easily and I understand at the time she is functioning at a different level. But sadly have seen a number of times, owners who take that non recognition/response very personally thinking the dog has no love/bond with them when a dog is lost and when recovered gives the dog up to a rescue.
For those that adopted adult dogs and remember what the first weeks were like can get idea of how their dog would respond if lost and scared, the fearful one that ran and hid would act much the same if lost and may not respond to the owner, the velcro dog would more likely respond to the owners, but will be mistrustful of many people, if the dog settled into the home quite easily, they are the most confident and secure and would likely approach a stranger even when lost and would more likely respond to their owners even if highly scared at the time.
With puppies if your starting young enough you can prepare and train them to use their heads if they find themselves lost so they are not just shutting down and panicking using games of hide and seek