Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Please help me stop a pulling Minpin...

Purpledomino
January 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Okay, first let me tell you all that I am no stranger to training animals. I have a Bullmastiff and a Great Dane which are no problem for me on a lead. Heck, my draft horse leads like a lamb with just a slack rope touching his neck. I've taken obedience with my dogs, and have NEVER had a problem with any of my canine companions in my entire lifetime.
>>>ENTER...the Minpin from HELL<<<
Emmy, all six pounds of scrawny pulling power on the end of a leash. I have no control. Tried to fit her with a halti type gadget, and it just falls off.....smallest size is way too big. Kinda hard to use a choke on her, she is so tiny, even a little pop sends her practically flying. Growly loud voice commands (I'm a master) just get her attention fleetingly, returning to pulling again...over and over. Add another dog behind a fence on a walk, and you don't just have the pulling, but sprinkle in a lot of manic barking and screaming. Cesar Milan isn't doing housecalls...do I need an exorcist? :evil:

LavenderRott
January 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Stop and walk the other way. Or just plain stop.

papillonmama
January 29th, 2007, 08:21 PM
The "Leave it" command has helped make my walks much nicer. And I stopping the walk is a good way to curb the behaviour, I stand there until she realizes I'm not interested in her pulling, she gets bored and is like, "can we go now."

This is something that has worked for me.

Something else I've had success with is a "me first" type of command, quickly I realized that the only reason that Dory was pulling was so she could try to be dominant to me. So once in a while, while we are stopped because of the incessant pulling, I will slide my foot in front of her, and make it so that I am standing in front of her, and I say, "Me" then I stand up straight and I look directly down at her, but not in her eyes, I look just above her eyes and lift my chin ever so slightly. Then we will start our walk again, I'll repeat it until she knows that I mean it, and after she is a much nicer dog to walk with, until I have to do it again the next walk or the walk after that.

Dory is a social climber, she's always going to try to dominate me. She's always trying to undermine me, when I walk out of the living room I hear her jumping up on the couch, little things that she does she just does it because she thinks that she can, or she hopes that she can get away with them.

Here's my favourite site on dominant dog behaviour, http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

Good luck

Lukka'sma
January 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Lukka used to do this when she was very young. I took her out daily and worked with a clicker to get her to be by my side. Every time she was pulling the leash tight I would just stop walking and the second she slacked up and turned into me I would click and treat. I started doing that at about 3 1/2 months and within two, three weeks she was walking beside me. Now at 12 months she is a master of loose leash walking.

Purpledomino
January 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Papillonmama.....thanks for that link, a very good article! I have tried stopping when she pulls, but I probably haven't been as consistent as I should be. Usually I am walking with my other two dogs, and they want to go..go..go.. I think I have to walk this little monkey all by herself. As for the dominant dog issue, I know (hope) that I am the alpha here, but I think she is a social climber. She gets her way with everyone here but me. I make her sit before she gets anything, she basically listens to my every beck and call. I have a different training belief than the rest of my household who dotes on her hand and foot, and babies her. It's been a struggle to try to get the masses to realize that she will be a tyrant unless we buckle down now. She is still only ten months old, and probably testing the waters on where she stands in the heirarchy. This pulling thing just throws me for a loop, it's almost like her small stature is making it more difficult to stop it. I am used to large and giant breeds, never a problem. Weird huh?

papillonmama
January 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
It will be much easier for you to get her attention to train when it's just you and she.

Ten months is so young, I'm sure it's just a lot of teenage rebellion. just be consistant it'll work out.

:thumbs up