Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mac vs. PC

erykah1310
January 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
K, those commercials ( which are cute as heck) are starting to really make me wonder... whats the big difference???????/
I gather by the commercial that PC's are sick alot, need surgeries and need cameras taped to their heads as well as getting many many stickers stuck on them....

However... really... why is a Mac so much better???

And what do you have?

breeze
January 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I agree I love those commercials, I to am wondering, when i have some more time and the store is open i am planing on going to the apple store and asking. maybe they can shed some light on it but in the mean time i hope they make new ones :laughing:

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I love those commercials too.

I have a PC, but if I get a new computer, I think it may be a MAC. My Uncle has one, and he just about has me persuaded. He was almost acting like those commercials even before those commercials came out:laughing:
I told him a long time ago that Mac should be paying him for advertising:D

Dogastrophe
January 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I went to a Macbook just after Christmas, having only used PC/Windows prior. Other than having to relearn a few things (or better yet, get out of some Windows habits) it is a very easy OS to learn. Installing and or uninstalling software is a breeze. Music, movies, and pictures are put into their respective folders without having to direct them.

Most of the software that I use is avail on the Mac or there is equivalent or better software available. Using Bootcamp or Paralells software you can either run Windows as a separate boot or in its own window, respectively, allowing you to install Windows only software in a windows environment.

Macs have largely been left alone by virus and trojan makers, although they do exist. However, they are not nearly as prevalent.

I love my Mac and cannot see switching back to a PC anytime soon. :thumbs up

papillonmama
January 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I have a PC but would prefer a mac.

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 10:26 PM
But with Apple taking the #1 spot for a while, I think the virus creators will start to get more creative... ;)

I have a PC, and I'm not planning on getting a new one for at least 2 years (when my warranty wears out).:shrug:

jiorji
January 29th, 2007, 10:28 PM
yeah but those commercials are made by Mac. SO of course they're going to bash PC and Windows and everything that goes with a PC.

Macs are so trendy with their colorful laptops and fancy desktop design :rolleyes:

jiorji
January 29th, 2007, 10:29 PM
by the way erykah smarty pants...in the poll if the voter has no computer, how would they know of this poll and vote without a computer and access to the internet??:cool:

technodoll
January 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM
in the poll if the voter has no computer, how would they know of this poll and vote without a computer and access to the internet??

nah she's just trying to weed out the folks still using a Commodore 64 :D

I love my PC and can't stand Macs and will never buy one. But that's just me :cool:

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
by the way erykah smarty pants...in the poll if the voter has no computer, how would they know of this poll and vote without a computer and access to the internet??:cool:

Internet café.;)

RolandsMom
January 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
my boyfriend (and now me too) has a mac and swears by it. he will never buy any other computer now. i guess they dont get viruses nearly as much and are somehow more efficient. it took me a while to figure it out but now that the Macs can run windows too (the new ones) its supposedly the bomb!

Peepmouse
January 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM
We've been running PC's for years, but my sister-in-law just got a new Mac. This is their second one, and she loves it!:lovestruck: The whole system is sleek and everything is set up right behind the moniter screen, so there's only the keyboard, mouse & monitor to see, no tower. She says it's really easy to use, and both she and her husband have PC's at work, but they chose to stay with Mac.:)

x.l.r.8
January 29th, 2007, 11:36 PM
With the XP kernal runningn as well as it does now, there are a few things different, first is the latent RAM time, mac's process faster but rely on RAM much more than a PC, hence why a PC needs a quick seek time on the HD. Next is the interface, windows is just that, a program opening a box, opening a box opening a box, thats pretty much how the system works, hence why it's so easy to create a gate and make it stop, hence worm virus's. Relying on the HD to seek all the time creates a great tendency to hang the HD, thats why PC users get to see a little to much of a blue screen. Mac users don't know how to say ctrl+alt+del, it's not something they do. On my PC I used to run Linux because 98 was such a bad OS. ME was dry, CE was wet and NT was just stuck so much is was like glue, hence when you add it all together you got CEMENT :laughing: :sorry: Vista will be a step forward but it will still be a step behind Mac. I have been converted from a Mac hater and for 6 years now I still have the same laptop, plug and play is plug and play, and always has been. PC users who have only been exposed to XP, you are a very lucky group of people, MS has narrowed the gap but Duel core processors are allowing standard MS applications to run on macs is a huge leap. I had to get office for OS9 way back in 2001 and it was not cheap. But I have a dual boot system so I can still use my old office with my new OSX, try doing that with a 98 version on a XP system. Safari (like it's PC counterpart firefox) showed that you didn't need IE to surf easily, infact coral showed you didn't need MS office to produce spreadsheets. Some people will always hate Macs, I certainly did until I was given this powerbook form another Mac hater. His loss and my gain. I will not say I would never own a PC again as I don't know what the future holds, but at the moment Mac wins hands down, and now it's becoming the norm to own a Mac. They are becoming accepted as a viable alternative, the same used to be said about Intel and celeron chips, with AMD being way way behind, then they got the 1 gig chip first (actually an overclocked athalon 850 but who's going to remember) and they suddenly became a market leader. And Mac users sat looking smug at there machines not knowing the label in there processor said IBM :eek: Like dog food, you do some research and use what works for you, if it's a PC then great, if its a mac then welcome :highfive:

x.l.r.8
January 29th, 2007, 11:38 PM
So Erykah, if you do get a mac you can still use the office and photoshop programs:thumbs up (it's in the post first thing ;) )

Puppyluv
January 30th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I used to be anti-apple. But I would NEVER go back to a PC. NEVER. Once you switch, you will see what it's all about. I've been drinking the apple juice for a year now and I'm hooked. Even my brother, the biggest computer geek and the biggest anti-apple advocate for years is addicted to his mac. I have a powerbook G4, my bro has a macbook and a mac pro and my mom has an imac. Anyone can learn to use one, they are the ultimate in user friendly, and they really are the best technology I have ever encountered. I can't wait until the iphone is available in Canada.:lovestruck: :cloud9:

technodoll
January 30th, 2007, 12:14 AM
i dunno... if iTunes is any indication of "user-friendly" Apple stuff and all... :mad: i would never give them a red cent! :yell:

jiorji
January 30th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Internet café.;)

HAHAHAH yeah right! If you used an internet cafe for pets/ca you'd go broke really fast. Nice try.

well here;s an update...WIndows has come up with a new layout, much like the Mac layout where you can have your windows all floating around.(so the add shows) I think that windows is trying to fight back and be more "cool" like Mac.:laughing:

erykah1310
January 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Im thread jacking my own thread in a way for a second...
I think the Mac guy is friggen hot!!!!:lovestruck: I dont know a thing bout Macs or the great differences between the 2, but if I were in the market... Id be buying him!:D

Puppyluv
January 30th, 2007, 07:06 AM
i dunno... if iTunes is any indication of "user-friendly" Apple stuff and all... :mad: i would never give them a red cent! :yell:

don't knock it til you try it. I've spent significant time with both and the mac is hands down, easier to use. My mom used to call me long distance to find out how to open a document on a pc, or how to turn her pc on. Since she got her mac, she hasn't had to call my brother nor I for help once. Remember, you're using iTunes on a pc, similar, but not identical to how it is on the system it was designed to be on; osX.

x.l.r.8
January 30th, 2007, 09:04 AM
itunes on a PC to me is like using Internet Explorer on a Mac, both time consuming and time wasting. There are some Great PC software titles to compress music properly. There is a reason there are only a few titles out there for mac, it's besause they would have to be real good to be that much better than the free itunes, where as for Windows everyone has some type of compression software. I used to miss incredimail for PC, but thats before I started to use entourage. Dont judge a whole operating system on one application not designed for the system in use, Mac is not without it's flaws, anyone trying to load glamarian will vouch for that, and it's undenyable expensive (I was lucky and got given this nugget of gold for free by someone who also wouldn't give them another penny, who incidently now nas a minimac :laughing: ) but most who at least try it see the merits for what they are, for some it's just not worth it. :shrug:

CyberKitten
January 30th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Some ppl need both and actual prefer UNIX or Linux- if like me you are involved in medical research that has both. We use UNIX to run our servers on. In fact, most network admins are not keen about Windows. So, I left it empty. :sad:

As I would say to my students, your poll is not mutually exclusive or exhaustive. Think back to your basic stats course in univ. <g> Pls don't hold the question against me, it's an occupational hazard I am afraid. :)

technodoll
January 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM
don't knock it til you try it. I've spent significant time with both and the mac is hands down, easier to use. My mom used to call me long distance to find out how to open a document on a pc, or how to turn her pc on. Since she got her mac, she hasn't had to call my brother nor I for help once. Remember, you're using iTunes on a pc, similar, but not identical to how it is on the system it was designed to be on; osX.

i've tried to get used to a MAC a few times and .... well it must be a matter of preference? i find it so retarded... maybe cuz i've been working with PCs all my life and feel very comfortable navigating them? i'm not a newbie user so i don't need a "computer for dummies", so to speak :o I mean that's the appeal of a Mac right? Plug and Play.

as for iTunes... what a stupid program, period. i can't imagine it would be any different in a Mac. whoever designed that thing should be shot! :yell: :evil:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
January 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Well seeing has I am now a tech support agent for Vista - and I have never used Mac I guess I would choose pc for now.

We are using the new vista right now and its pretty cool - I like it better than xp - but requires a lot more hard drive space to run then xp did.

originally posted by jiorji

well here;s an update...WIndows has come up with a new layout, much like the Mac layout where you can have your windows all floating around.(so the add shows) I think that windows is trying to fight back and be more "cool" like Mac.

its called Aeroview - but you have to get the higher versions to use it - home premium vista and up has it but not home basic. :)

LM1313
January 30th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Traditionally computer games are more likely to come out on the PC than the Mac . . . PCs for me! ;)

meb999
January 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM
this girl in my class has a mac (I think it's an i-book....or not...whatever the portable macs are called....), and it's UNREAL (for a student that is...

Ok get this, it records the class (no big deal right, it has an integrated recorder..big wooop) BUT when you review your notes, you can click anywhere in your text and you'll hear what the prof was saying at the precise time you were wrtting that part of your text! WOW! Makes studying so much easier! I can't afford a mac anyways...but wow!

CyberKitten
January 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM
You can get software that'll perform that task on Windows meb - not that I am promoting Windows tho if I had to choose between just those 2 (ie if that's all that existed on the planet, lol), I would select Windows. I am "old" (read veteran, lol) programmer hobbyist tho admitted;y do it in my work as well (my research part) and maybe 10 yrs ago, Mac had the reputation of being good for graphics program tho if Anyone here has ever used an Amiga, there was an operating system ahead of its time, esp re graphics card.
(I never had one)

Now, there are graphics software for Win that are really on par with the Mac so I think that handles that. In my own case, among my bio tech research, we often develop software - esp in terms of bringing remote regions together (think doing surgery when you are in Halifax and the patient is 7 hrs away in northern NB tho you know, even 25 yrs ago, doctors could read EKG's in Hfx or Mtl from small hospitals. When I was in Boston, we all wanted to work (as interns) on the site out at Logan airport - now it is just par for the or should I say tarmac) Anyway - I am getting off tpic, yikes.

I don't care for those ads - the Mac vs Windows because in many cases, they are not necly true. What is that org that examines whether ads are right? There is one about web design or is it browsing- suggesting Macs are better. I thought "give me a break!. It's the software, NOT the OS!!" (if you use a browser to access the Internet - Tho it is only about 10 yrs ago, I can still recall using Gopher and Archie and Veronica and just Telnet and all those fun things. But then again, I also owned a Vic 20, lol)

The general consensus is to wait for awhile before buying Vista but I find it has too many bells and whistles - I heard someone say it is "entertaining" and I mean, while I love certain puter games et al, (even have Sims tho I have yet to install it, lol), it is productivity I need, not entertainment at work. I find a lot of that stuff distracting. So I will wait 'till many of the bugs are worked out before upgrading - sure there still will be some left but that's true of any new OS, app, etc.

One of those ^&^% ads is on now - speak of the devil, lol (Showing Windows as sick and leaving his peripherals to the Mac). I also wonder why both the Mac and Windows are male in those ads but then again, women would not be whining as much, lol (I am soooooooo ducking)

Back to the notes, meb I have a great program I love on my Pocket PC - it would prob work on a Blackberry but my Pocket PC also serves as an MP3 player and recorder so I can turn on a button and voila, "tape" a lecture in whatever format I want - usually wav is default but that is so huge that I prefer MP3 or WMA. Then I can convert the audio format to text and save it on Pocket Word which is a much smaller version which far fewer bells et al than its big sister. But then I can just put it on a card - and my Pocket PC accepts 2 cards, SD Ram and cf - and insert them into a larger computer if needed. I rarely print anything now tho - it seems a extra step I do not need and hopefully I am saving some trees! And now you can get cards that save so much data - the largest I personally own is a 2 gig one but I can remember my 1st one a few yrs ago that was 32 MB!! (I still have that one tho, you never know when you might need it, lol)

But I like the Pocket PC for lectures, esp if I have to rewrite them or quote from them. Like any recognition software, you have to spend some time at
1st teaching it to recognize your voice - and I have a program that recognizes my handwriting as well and despite my profession, I actually have good cursive writing, lol

So, you could get an application like that person has without buying a Mac.

While I like UNIX and Linux, there are not as many programs for them and since most of the world uses Windows and so much software is created for it - tho you know, more and more are becoming portable (think of the various Java Applets and other programs one can create that work across OS's).

Anyway - this is an interesting thread even if there is no place for me to vote, lol (I guess I have to be unique, lol).

HunterXHunter
January 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I voted for PC, but I've always wanted an iBook :p Maybe I'll make my next laptop an iBook...it looks so damn cute (plus I like the color white) :thumbs up

CyberKitten
January 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM
For obvious reasons, I have never selected a comuter because of its colour BUT I'd love one in light blue! I don't see why they don't produce more in differing colours. I have had young patient who have the children themed puters - and they have shown me pix. A Barbie one and so forth, Kinda cute. And I mean an actual PC, not just the $50 toy that is essentially just a fancy Game Boy type thing you can get from Sears. I just want bloue - does not have to be a Barbie themed, lol

Skryker
January 31st, 2007, 12:36 AM
I haven't used a Mac in years, but reluctantly joined the PC crowd years ago when Atari finally shot itself in the foot once too often. :sad: CK mentioned the Amigas-IMO the Ataris were better still. Atari had a pre-windows version of Windows (Rainbow TOS) back when DOS ruled the PC world, lol :laughing: . My first PC experience was with a 286, running DOS. It was a terrible switch coming from a mouse based point and click OS, to go to clunky DOS.

Prin
January 31st, 2007, 01:25 AM
OMG! I remember the 286! I was so young, but they were great! And then there was the 486... Ooo with King's Quest and Sopwith or whatever you call it. :highfive: I miss King's Quest.:o

jessi76
January 31st, 2007, 08:50 AM
I work in a mac-based office, and have a mac at home. I will NEVER go back to windows. my fiance has a new windows laptop, and ironically, he's always using my iBook.... gee... I wonder why... lol.

meb999
January 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM
ooooooo, Kings Quest...I loved King's quest. We had a PC Junior when I was a kid....I loved Boulder Dash too...Good Times....Good Times!

we3beagles
January 31st, 2007, 09:34 AM
nah she's just trying to weed out the folks still using a Commodore 64 :D

I love my PC and can't stand Macs and will never buy one. But that's just me :cool:

So with you. The reason Mac does not have as many viruses is because it is open source and too easy to hack. It is not a challenge to write a virus for a Mac. I also have a ton of really expensive software that I will not re-buy for a Mac. I don't find them any easier to use and in fact I find them a tad more illogical. I had to use one at my last job and hated every minute of it. I was constantly throwing out preference files and cleaning up. I may in fact be the only graphic designer that refuses to use one.

coppperbelle
January 31st, 2007, 08:24 PM
I use both on a regular basis. The PC I use for work and the Mac is for fun. It is much easier to use. Everything is so much more complicated with a PC.
As for ITunes it is different on a Mac and easy to use.