Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can a new puppy be around a dog who doesn't...

SCWTlover
January 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Hi guys,

I just got my new puppy on Friday (she's lovely btw :) ). We live in row housing and have our own area out back but there is no fencing. Our neighbor has a lab who has all his shots but she said he hasn't had anything regarding heartworms because she doesn't think it's necessary.

I know it's important to only allow dogs with all their vaccinations around puppies until they've had all their shots but heartworm medication?

Does anybody know anything about this? Would it still be safe for her to be around that dog?

Thanks!

hazelrunpack
January 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
A dog can't catch heartworms from another dog--they're transmitted by mosquitoes. So your pup should be safe in that regard. :thumbs up

However, depending on the age of your pup and how far you are into the vaccination schedule, you still might want to keep her away from other dogs. Vaccinations take effect rapidly, but still it takes time for full immunity to develop. Even if the other dogs are up-to-date on their vaccinations, we've always waited until after our pups have had their last vaccinations before allowing them to play. They may have been exposed to something that their immune systems can handle, but that your puppy's immune system can't.

Granted, we tend to be a bit paranoid about such things (:rolleyes: ), but a quick call to your vet should set your mind at ease about what's safe or not... :D

coppperbelle
January 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Heatworm is transmitted by mosquitoes. I see that you live in Ontario where it is cold, therefore no mosquitoes at this time of year. There is no way to get the heartworm from this other dog if in fact he had it at all.
Before you allow him to play with any other dog or take him anywhere frequented by other dogs make sure he has all his vaccinations. This is usually around 12 years old.

H.P.
January 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
make sure he has all his vaccinations. This is usually around 12 years old.

We usually have all of them done by about 12 weeks around here ;)

SCWTlover
January 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Yea I feel like an idiot about the heartworm thing. Just being extra cautious!

SHe'll have her second set of shots at 12 weeks. The vet says it takes 2 more weeks for them to develop full immunity and then she can go for walks and stuff.

Anyways,

Thanks guys!

4thedogs
January 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I want puppies to begin socializing as soon as possible around other vaccinated dogs. Not sure I would be taking them to dog parks and other places where I don't know if they have been vaccinated but I don't want to wait until they are 4 months before they begin. They lose too much important time for socializing.

Usual schedule is

8 weeks for 1st
12 weeks for 2nd
16 for 3rd

If puppy had a set too early most vets will repeat 1st because it will gone at the time they begin to develop their own at 10 weeks. This will put their schedule at

6 weeks 1st
10 weeks repeat of 1st
14 weeks 2nd
18 weeks 3rd

Each vaccination should be 3-4 weeks apart, usually 4 weeks.

Spirit
January 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM
After the first shots, the risk of catching something is low. I was bringing my puppy to work with me from the time he was 9 weeks old, but I was VERY cautious about who I allowed to even pet him, and where I took him out to the bathroom.

Exposure to sounds, smells, touch (by other people, etc) is important at this stage, and is perfectly safe to bring her (almost) everywhere with you. Go at HER pace (if she seems afraid of something, don't push it. If she's curious, let her explore it.). Bring her in the car, to friends houses, even allowing her to play with dogs you know are "clean" is fine (aunt's dog, maybe - socializing is important!). If you're out and puppy has to pee, look for business areas, NOT residential, for puppy to squat on. The idea here is to avoid (at all costs) places other dogs might have been.

Wait about 2 weeks after the second shots, and you're good to go anywhere. Some vets will reccommend that you wait until the third, but in my experience, that's just being better safe than sorry. Which is always a good thing, but your window is tight, so get out there and expose, expose, expose. Just be REALLY careful about it, and don't push her limits (baby steps). :thumbs up

OntarioGreys
January 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM
The bigger concern will be internal parasites especially if dogs share tthe same areas for soiling. Since I like to go the parks and dog events in the warmer months there is a risk of them picking up internal parasites so I use interceptor as my heartworm med as it also protects against internal parasites which is the time I am going to need to most protection for my dogs, I have a fully fenced in yard so my soil is not at risk of being contaminated, if a visiting dog comes over I pick up immediately inorder to protect the soil as parasites like hookworm can live is the soil for several months, in places in the south where ground does not freeze they can live for years, hook worms are a little nastier because they can penetrate the skin to infect a dog, can infect humans as well. I am able to limit where my dogs go they have a big enough yard to get plenty of exercise so while they are unprotected I avoid exposing them to places are area where they could pick up worms thus giving their bodies breaks from meds, Because you have a dog next door that is not on heartworm meds he is probably not recieving any any deworming meds regularly or possibly not having fecal checks done either, so with sharing potty space there is the risk of internal parasites. If the other owner is picking up immediately and completely each time the risk is minimized a great deal though a couple eggs can get left behind especially if stool is soft.

An article on worms and how infection occurs

http://lbah.com/intpar.htm

As long as you ensure your dog in on heartworm meds it can protect your dog even if the neighbours dog is infected with heartworm