Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scam artist thinks I was born yesterday

joeysmama
January 29th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I have an old car radio we took out of my son's car years ago. I listed it on e-bay for 5 dollars. If no one buys it I'm throwing it out. It doesn't have a CD player. Just AM radio nd cassette. Plus it's from a 94 jeep. It's not going to even fit every car. So if I get 5 bucks great--if not--into the trash.

Today I got this e-mail. Gee do you hink someone is trying to scam me? I'm just going to delete it unless someone can come up with a witty retort for me to use as my reply.:p

Or should I report this to e-bay and how would I do that ??

Dear seller,
I saw this Item much evitable to what i'd as a birth day gift for my grand son who went for his IT Programmes(Industrial Tranning Programmes) in Nigeria.
Firstly, i'll like to know the perfect working condition of this item and if you will be able to allow me to purchase it right away, if yes then i'll be glad to offer you $600USD for the item including the shipping and handling via USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS MAIL, as i can't wait till bid ends, and also i'll like to ask if you will be able to realease item for shippment upon recieving the payment confirmation from paypal stating that your money has been confirmed.
i'll be paying you via paypal. pls if this is ok by you kindly get back to me with your details so that i can make the payment right away...... looking forward to read from you and this is the shipping address below.
Mr Gbenga Sofolahan
No 5 Oyemekun Lane Ago Taylor Odo-ona ,
Ibadan
Oyo-State
Nigeria
HOPE TO READ FROM YOU

jiorji
January 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
ummmmmm......that email goes to EVERYBODY who lists electronics on eBay.:rolleyes:

That's not even a person, it's a spam bot.

joeysmama
January 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Oh. So e-bay gets an e-mail like the one I just sent them from every new person who lists electronics I guess. LOL ! I just sent them an e-mail asking why this person wants would want my old radio and that I assume they can gain access to my pay pal if I accept.

Although if anyone DOES want to give me 600 dollars for this I'll shine it up and throw in a batch of cookies !

erykah1310
January 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Iwonder if anyone has ever taken it seriously ???:shrug:

badger
January 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
SCAM!

So, what will happen, as I understand it, is that they will send you a cheque (which is a fake), drawn on a fake bank, and it will be for considerably more than 600$. They make up some vaguely believable story about needing to pay for an outstanding order (usually in the US). What they are hoping is that you send (again usually to the US) anything over $600 before you find out the cheque has bounced all the way to Pluto.

Awhile ago I posted the web-page of a woman who enjoys stringing these people along and then coming clean at the last moment, just for the pleasure of scamming the scammer. The item is irelevant. In her case, she was selling horses but by the second or third email exchange the scammer was already referring to the horse in question as a piece of furniture or a dog or simply 'the item'.

joeysmama
January 29th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Badger I remember that thread. It was a riot. And the "buyer" was looking for "garden wolves" too. Too funny !!
But what's really sad is that someone must be falling for it or they wouldn't still be tyring.

chico2
January 29th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I once got an E-Mail with E-Bays logo,saying thank's for my purchase of something electronic(never bought anything on E-Bay) and that they had accepted my payment through PayPal(have no PP acc) but needed more info for security..our creditcard no,bankaccount etc...
I contacted E-Bay and they told me it is a very common scam and thanked me for letting them know.
Anything out of Nigeria is a scam,unfortunately not everyone knows and many people believing they can make a quick buck fall for it.

jiorji
January 29th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Oh. So e-bay gets an e-mail like the one I just sent them from every new person who lists electronics I guess. LOL ! I just sent them an e-mail asking why this person wants would want my old radio and that I assume they can gain access to my pay pal if I accept.

Although if anyone DOES want to give me 600 dollars for this I'll shine it up and throw in a batch of cookies !

LOL why do you even bother emailing back?? they never answer and accounts like that get closed by eBay in 2 days max ;)

Lukka'sma
January 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I once got an E-Mail with E-Bays logo,saying thank's for my purchase of something electronic(never bought anything on E-Bay) and that they had accepted my payment through PayPal(have no PP acc) but needed more info for security..our creditcard no,bankaccount etc...

I always make sure that I am indeed on a secure page when I pay pal or go to an EBay store. Have to check that the address has the https not only an http.

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I'd forward it to ebay.:shrug:

jiorji
January 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I always make sure that I am indeed on a secure page when I pay pal or go to an EBay store. Have to check that the address has the https not only an http.

the trick is if they say "dear customer" or "dear user" that means it's not official. Ebay and paypal and your bank and whoever should know and have access to your name or user name. If they don't use it then that means they don't have any information on you.

And if any emails say "you have to renew your information with us". Those are ALWAYS spams.

badger
January 29th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I fell for a Paypal scam, where they announce that another email address has been 'attached' to your account. The email address is a link, which I was afraid to click. But I did write back, in high dudgeon at their incompetence :), to be read no doubt by a machine somewhere in Russia. I ended up cancelling my account!

jiorji
January 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM
well yeah.. Paypal is like a bank account. It's easier to spam that than an official bank, because ......well I don't know why. Paypal is linked to email and it's easier to steal that than a bank card #.

I've had invoices say "thanks for paying $250 for this Ipod" and then it says to verify the sale or something, but then nothing happens. I haven't yet caught on to how they could steal money that way because 1. the email address is wrong and 2. even if the email is right, they can't authorize the payment. :evil: silly people