Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

barking in the mornings

breeze
January 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM
for a couple of weeks Bree has woken me up in the usual way nudging me to get out of bed (no prblem with that) I get up and do my usaly thing (bathroom, teeth ect.) then when i come to make my bed and get dressed all she does is bark at me loudly I might add, to a point I have ringing in my ears. I go down stairs to feed both dogs and the barking gets worst. after she is fed no more barking for the rest of the day until supper time. My question is how do I get her to stop barking at me? a couple of things I have tried, I have tried to ignore her, made her sit or lie down and wait,making a shush sound, comand quite and stopping until she stops barking and then praise. I am all out of ideas or caommands can you help??

Dogastrophe
January 29th, 2007, 10:14 AM
You can teach a 'quiet' command to stop the barking (I've been somewhat successful with my terriers but typical of terrier nature, they are about 60 to 70% with it). When the barking starts, give a stern 'quiet' or similar command. The second the barking stops, give lots of praise. Over time, they will associated being quiet to good things.

My little guy, Jack (Yorkie X) will bark each morning on his way down the stairs (he never barks on the way up, only down, and only if you are at the top of the stairs). I think that he likes to announce that he is one his way.

we3beagles
January 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Basically, she has been taught that barking brings on breakfast. You really need to ignore this and maybe throw her off by feeding her at different times. Polly started waking me up at 5am to "go outside", but what she really wanted was breakfast because I would feed them right after their morning constitutional. I started taking them out for a pee and coming right back upstairs to do my morining ritual and then taking them back down for breakfast. The first few mornings Polly barked at me too, but I ignored it and soldiered on and now she will sleep until she actually has to pee.

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I agree with we3beagles. The association was made between barking and food. I would feed at a different time for awhile until she learns than barking doesn't bring on breakfast.

breeze
January 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
This is usally the rutine, once up barking starts, ignore ignore,once downstairs let nakita out not bree she does not want to go, i need to do some other things fist then nakita comes in all hell breaks loose between the dogs not a pretty sight bark bark bark that is all you her and possible attack by nakita towards bree, go into the kitchen dish out food nakita gets first then bree( i need bree to sit before i feed her instead of running at me) thats working fine by the way, then things calm down until supper nakita usally starts crying then bree starts and it's the same all over again. (I don't give into the crying but other people do.