Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Big dogs and little balls

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Hi, can anybody help me out here ?
I was always told that i should not allow my giants to play with tennis balls because it is too dangerous. When playing and the ball bounces back it could get locked in their throat. So as a good mommy, i never allowed them any tennis balls to play with, and well it has never been an issue (my Irish Wolfhounds were not interested in small none running things). But now with Gimli, my DDB, things changed. He is nuts about them. When he sees one, out of reach, he will be whining, and crying on end. It just makes him so sad not to get the ball to play with. He even tries to break in to my tumble dryer, since he knows there are tennis balls inside it for flocking up the towels.

So after a long introduction, can anybody give me some advice. Is it really dangerous for them or is it just an "urban story" ?

You can make a very sad DDB the happiest boy in the world if he could have his little tennis ball :)

D

Dogastrophe
January 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Oh, tennis balls. It took me a couple of minutes to stop laughing to myself after reading the title of your thread.

The outer covering on a tennis ball is quite abrasive and can wear down a dogs teeth if they like to chew it off, plus not a great item if they decide to digest them.

As for lodging in your pups throat, you need to assume that if the ball (or any other object) has the ability to go down / get lodged based on its size, that it could potentially happen. You can purchase large tennis balls that are about twice the diameter but are constructed in the same way which may be an option. With all toys, you should only let your pups play with them when you are around to supervise to ensure that all goes well.

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Thank you for the prompt reply.

And, OOps sorry for the tittle of the tread, it was only when i had send it, and saw the tittle myself that i realized it could give a whole different meaning. Btw, to do Gimli justice, he is quite ok in that area.

He does not want to chew it, he wants to play with it and cherrish it (silly dog). He is not really a pup anymore he is a little over 2 years.

My dogs are rarely on their own, so i can watch over them, but what i heard was that, even when you are with them, you could not remove it when there would be an accident.

D

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah I had to comment too, the title made me look in and see what the topic was about:laughing:

As for playing with small balls, I am not sure. Hunter is fairly big and can fit a whole tennis ball in his mouth, but it isn't small enough to slide down his throat, if it was, I don't think I would let him play with it. I would never let him play with anything smaller than a tennis ball.

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah I had to comment too, the title made me look in and see what the topic was about:laughing:

As for playing with small balls, I am not sure. Hunter is fairly big and can fit a whole tennis ball in his mouth, but it isn't small enough to slide down his throat, if it was, I don't think I would let him play with it. I would never let him play with anything smaller than a tennis ball.

Well in a way that was what i thought, just needed confirmation, so i could give my big baby what is apparently the thing he wants the most in his life right now.

Thanks, and sorry for the tittle, but we were told to be explicit :) , so i was, and hey it is not me who had the dirty mind :)p

D

D

Dogastrophe
January 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
When Monty was still with us he used to carry his tennis ball around everywhere with him. He could pick 'his' ball out of a collection of them and would get a bit irritated when he misplaced his. It was the only toy that he would play with.

As for my reference to pup, I call all dogs pups regardless of their age. :pawprint:

erykah1310
January 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM
LOL:D I love the title!!!!!

My first suggestion was " well if he looks that funny, another great reason to neuter him" :D

As for tennis balls, I really cant concentrate right now.... still laffing!:D

Frenchy
January 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I tought this thread was about neutering.....

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 11:47 AM
LOL:D I love the title!!!!!

My first suggestion was " well if he looks that funny, another great reason to neuter him" :D

yeah that is exactly where my mind went too. I was thinking, yep time for a neutering:laughing:

Winston
January 29th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Love the title! My guys loves tennis balls! He is so good he will chew them up into very small pieces and leave them in a nice neat pile for me! I do watch him to make sure he does not swallow the pieces...I buy the large / oversized tennis balls and he goes nuts! Loves to run and play with them but mostly take the ball everywhere he goes...And yes! he can tell his ball out of a bunch of them!

Cindy

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I tought this thread was about neutering.....

No way Josee, i wanted and like my big boy.

His only trouble with balls are really tennis balls <s>

D

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM
yeah that is exactly where my mind went too. I was thinking, yep time for a neutering:laughing:

Oh shoot, think i owe an appology to Gimly, really did not want to embarasse him on here. Just blame it on my bad English <s>

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Love the title! My guys loves tennis balls! He is so good he will chew them up into very small pieces and leave them in a nice neat pile for me! I do watch him to make sure he does not swallow the pieces...I buy the large / oversized tennis balls and he goes nuts! Loves to run and play with them but mostly take the ball everywhere he goes...And yes! he can tell his ball out of a bunch of them!

Cindy

Thanks and really the tittle was out before i gave it a serious thought

That sounds like Gimli, he just wants his favorite ball. He wants to play with it nurish it, go wild with it, but will never ever damage it (whi can not be said by some of my items). And heard a magic word, --oversized tennis balls ?.. what where ? In pet shops ?

D

Dogastrophe
January 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
You may be able to find an oversized one in a local sports store or department store. The ones I have seen are about 4" diameter.

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks, i will go and have a look a.s.a.p

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I let Boo and Jemma have little things, but they never swallow anything... :o

But I definitely agree on the large tennis ball suggestion, or there are "air dogs" made by kong that are big too.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Aug%20Sep%20Oct%202006/IMG_3173.jpg

DayaXaron
January 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks Prin, and oh dear what a cute pict. They are adorable

D

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks.:) But yeah, the air dogs come in about 5 or 6 different shapes and each comes in different sizes. :highfive:

technodoll
January 29th, 2007, 09:52 PM
my girlie goes crazy for tennis balls... i have to buy the cheap ones from the Dollar Store ($1 for a pack of 3) cuz no matter how tough they are, she will methodically rip one to tiny pieces within 20 minutes. it's like a science or something :p she will not swallow any pieces nor try to take the whole ball into her mouth, so they're safe toys in our house. It really depends on the dog I think... and how they are towards their toys :dog:

Peepmouse
January 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
My old Springer Spaniel Samantha used to LOVE tennis balls!:lovestruck: She would chew & chew on them until she would get a crack started in it. Then whenever she would chew on it, it would make a squishy popping sound!:crazy: We used to call them her PopPop balls, & she always knew which one it was.:D

Spirit
January 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM
The only problem I have with any dogs that play with tennis balls is that real tennis balls are made with fiberglass and are horrible for your dogs teeth.

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
The only problem I have with any dogs that play with tennis balls is that real tennis balls are made with fiberglass and are horrible for your dogs teeth.

Umm... I don't know where you got that it's fiberglass, but all I've found on the net is a mix of cotton, wool and nylon.:shrug:

angeldogs
January 30th, 2007, 02:23 AM
jag likes his tennis balls.he chews them up in tiny little pieces.and then spitts one at you to throw it for him.