Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

is it safe to leave a pitt bull alone with other dogs?

janev
January 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I was just reading an article about pitt bulls and how it is not recommended that you leave a pitt alone with other dogs. I have a 2 labs and a pitt bull that I leave home alone together frequently for short periods of time. the pitt will be 2 y/o and has been around my labs since he was 6 mts old with no problems. Is it safe to keep doing this?

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 04:20 PM
imo only you can answer that.....you know your dog and his temperment....i leave my dog alone for a few hours at a time.....but when we are gone all day beathoven(2yr pitx goes to gramas house)but only because my beagle is 14yrs old and can't keep up all day.

Dogastrophe
January 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Your question isn't really breed specific but rather individual dog specific. Your question could apply to a couple of poodles or chi's. The answer to your question is 'it depends'. It depends on his overall temperment, it also depends on your other pup's temperments. If you know your dogs well and feel comfortable leaving them out together when you are not home then do so. Otherwise, do not.

mummummum
January 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I agree ~ it's a dawg thing not a breed thing. As you have had no major problems between any of the three in 1 1/2 years ~ I'd say you're fine. Out of curiousity what was the article ? Sounds like it has an anti-bullie slant if it's making that kind of a broad generalization about an entire breed.

Gazoo
January 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM
IMHO I disagree ....It is breed specific as pit bulls do have an innate tendency to be dog aggressive.

This is an integral element of their temperament and a pitbull owner has to be extra vigilant.

janev
January 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I have never questioned leaving my dogs alone together they all get along and i do feel I know them well. I only began to doubt that when I read the article on the home page of this site under articles under pit bull information, after reading that it made me wonder, but I guess I shouldnt pay attention to that like you say you have to know your dogs well.

technodoll
January 28th, 2007, 05:46 PM
It is breed specific as pit bulls do have an innate tendency to be dog aggressive.

This is an integral element of their temperament and a pitbull owner has to be extra vigilant.

goodness, if this were true very few dogs could be left alone together, ever... many, many working dogs have a tendency to be dog aggressive ON TOP OF many many INDIVIDUAL dogs of all breeds, ages, sizes, sex, etc. it's broad sweeping generalizations like yours, gazoo, that give dogs a bad name. what a shame.

Gazoo
January 28th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I beg to differ---- nothing wrong with generalizations -- herding dogs herd, pointers point, shepherds breeds watch and protect flocks or herds, guard dogs guard, sled dogs pull, scent hounds sniff and hunt, sight hounds see and hunt, water dogs swim, retrievers retrieve,

and fighting dogs fight...

it's what they do :shrug: Sometimes biology can be destiny

....denying that pitbulls have a strong propensity to be dog aggressive is doing them a great disservice and is really unfair to the breed.

Denying what they are can put them in situations and places where they shouldn't be -- tarnishing their reputation even more. ;)

Inverness
January 28th, 2007, 06:28 PM
goodness, if this were true very few dogs could be left alone together, ever... many, many working dogs have a tendency to be dog aggressive ON TOP OF many many INDIVIDUAL dogs of all breeds, ages, sizes, sex, etc. it's broad sweeping generalizations like yours, gazoo, that give dogs a bad name. what a shame.

Please do not circulate false information. Any pit bull experienced owner/rescue will tell you, NEVER trust a pit bull NOT to fight. Do NOT leave a pit bull along with another dog, unattended, EVER.

Please do some reading from reputable sources.

http://www.pbrc.net/fightinfo.html

* Edited to add, what a shame that YOU, who seems to be so much of a reference on this board, should post a thing like this.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM
gazoo....i think you are in the flintstone age.........retrievers retrieve...and they can also bite and attack.......some pits where bred to fight...but if you are in my house and speak in any tone louder than normal.....your in for a really violent suck up.what kind of dogs do you own?....maybe we can add some insight to the breeds you own:rolleyes:

Inverness
January 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM
gazoo....i think you are in the flintstone age.........retrievers retrieve...and they can also bite and attack.......some pits where bred to fight...but if you are in my house and speak in any tone louder than normal.....your in for a really violent suck up.what kind of dogs do you own?....maybe we can add some insight to the breeds you own:rolleyes:

Please visit the link posted above, and join a reputable pit bull forum if you like. It seems some of the info you will find there might surprise you.

erykah1310
January 28th, 2007, 06:39 PM
While yes Pitbulls have been bred to be dog aggressive, I truely believe that it varies from dog to dog....

are cockers known to be dog aggressive??? Cause B sure is... I dont leave him alone with the other dogs, are Border collies bred to be dog aggressive??? But Meik can be... It's due to their lack of proper socialization ( for meik anyway.) So with that being said... should we lump my dogs up in the generalization that all Borders and Cockers shouldnt be trusted around other dogs???

I do understand the reasons and logic behind " dont trust a pitbull not to fight" but really I think it varies from dog to dog.... weather it be blood lines, upbringing or anyother factor that could trigger dog aggressive issues.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Of course, each situation is different and our recommendations may not apply to all circumstances. It is mportant for pit bull owners and rescuers to understand that there are precautions to take when dealing with dogs with a fighting heritage. We encourage all pit bull owners to follow the guidelines described in this page.

so how can you say the info will surprise me....i think i know how my dogs temperment is and i know when and when not to leave them in unquestionable situations. thank you very much

Gazoo
January 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Retrievers may fight but then again pitbulls might retrieve. So??

I'm not talking about hard and fast rules.

Dogs were bred for a myriad of purposes. Simply, each breed has many behaviorial tendencies that are governed specifically by their breeding.

Pit bulls were bred to fight-- the best dog aggressive dogs were chosen and bred to other dog-aggressive dogs -- and surprise surprise they had dog aggressive offspring. This done over and over and over and over and over many generations has created dog aggressive tendencies in pitbulls.

It's just a fact of their breeding. :shrug: Why all the hubbub?

Inverness
January 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Of course, each situation is different and our recommendations may not apply to all circumstances. It is mportant for pit bull owners and rescuers to understand that there are precautions to take when dealing with dogs with a fighting heritage. We encourage all pit bull owners to follow the guidelines described in this page.

so how can you say the info will surprise me....i think i know how my dogs temperment is and i know when and when not to leave them in unquestionable situations. thank you very much

Your comment to Gazoo was that he must live in the stone age to say what he did. You clearly objected to his opinion. However, the OP (isn't this the person who will take your opinion into consideration ?) is asking for advice and says she has a 2 years old pit bull whom has lived with her since he was 6 months. This dog is in the very stage where dog aggression issues develop as the pup matures into a confident adult. Although I understand that you are speaking from a personal point of view and refer to your own dogs, I find your comments in this thread irresponsible. The OP should be advised to take much caution in order to avoid a tragedy and not assume that because your dogs don't fight (or have not yet done so), it will never happen to her.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
you still did not say what breeds you have....and all the hubhub is that all the stories and talk about pits pisses me off when other breeds are doing things and there is no real mention.......

erykah1310
January 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I just think its unfair to generilize that ALL pit bulls are going to be dog aggressive, sure 90% may.... but I STRONGLY believe that people who own or rescue this breed be well educated on them... as with any.
If the OP has had the dogs together for a year and a half with no problems... why should we say to stop!
My suggestion to the OP... If you are comfortable with the dogs together, and nothing has happened thus far, keep up the good work just dont let your guard down because things have been alright this far.

Inverness
January 28th, 2007, 06:58 PM
If the OP has had the dogs together for a year and a half with no problems... why should we say to stop!

Wrong. A 2 years old pit bull is coming into adult age. This is when problems might arise. I said "might". But why would anyone take that kind of risk ?

jesse's mommy
January 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I'm with erykah and wdawson on this one. I would never hesitate to leave my dog with another dog unless the other dog is aggressive then I would be concerned for the safety of Jesse. She has no aggression in her at all. Anytime a dog "challenges" her, she rolls over. We go to the dog park and when most dogs "rough play" and roll around, she just stands to the side and jumps up and down, but never rolls with the dogs. She just loves to run and chase balls and sticks with dogs and of course give lots of kisses. Does this sound like the "generalized pitbulls" described above? I don't think so.

janev, please follow your own gut on this one. Don't listen to opinions and anti-pit articles. You know all three of your dogs temperment and no one else.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 07:00 PM
well the op asked for an opinion....well not being am animal behavioral expert but a pet owner who has to dogs of different breeds i GAVE my personal opinion based on the temperment of MY dogs.

Inverness
January 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM
you still did not say what breeds you have....and all the hubhub is that all the stories and talk about pits pisses me off when other breeds are doing things and there is no real mention.......

Well I think your question is aimed at Gazoo, but I'll answer for myself: I have 5 pitbulls in the house right now. I *think* that would count has some experience with the breed.

Inverness
January 28th, 2007, 07:04 PM
janev, please follow your own gut on this one. Don't listen to opinions and anti-pit articles. You know all three of your dogs temperment and no one else.

I do hope you are not referring to the link I posted above as being "anti-pit". PBRC is the biggest pit bull rescue website. It involves people who are totally passionate about the breed.

BMDLuver
January 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Perhaps it's better to clarify that pits should not be left unattended same sex.. as you would not do so with any of the Mollossers or with Bouvier des Flandes etc... there are certain breeds that cannot be trusted when maturity has been reached to not back down in a scuffle. Yes it's breed specific but not to just one breed. As any of you would not leave an alpha female alone with another female of any breed nor the same with a male. Inverness is pointing out that this breed can be same sex or other dog aggressive, so can other breeds. Always err on the side of caution with certain breeds... no one wants to come home to a seriously injured dog. Look at Phoenix with GD's dogs... it can happen so just be prudent.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
yes my question is aimed at gazoo......ones who have opinions that they are coming across as experts about should back them up.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM
but your house and dogs are not my house and dogs

erykah1310
January 28th, 2007, 07:09 PM
where as I have no actual experience owning a pitbull, but have had the enjoyment of "hanging out" with a few... all of which were great with my dogs. :shrug:
so feel free to take what you would out of my opinions!:shrug:

erykah1310
January 28th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Inverness is pointing out that this breed can be same sex or other dog aggressive, so can other breeds. Always err on the side of caution with certain breeds....
I would say all dogs in general. good post!

Tommysmom
January 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I don't own a pitbull either - so take my opinion with a grain of salt, I guess. I have a Jack Russell - they're aggressive little doggies who also are recommended not to be left alone with other dogs. My husband's owned quite a few of them. For most of them, the recommendation is right - playtime can turn into a fight in no time. For one of them it wasn't right, he'd play with anything and anybody and wasn't very dominant or aggressive. I think for the most part breed descriptions can be quite apt and you need to be cognizant of certain inherent traits. Dogs ARE individuals as well though, and not all traits will apply to each dog. Only you can know the personality of your dog. Just remember though that what you see of your dog's actions is generally your dog when he's relaxed at home and happy... if a dog gets stressed for any reason, his behaviour may be different from the usual. It's always wise to simply take care and use common sense, combine general breed knowledge with your specific knowledge of your dog.

I don't think this has anything to do specifically with pitbulls, the same can be said of all breeds - know your breed, and know your dog, and make the best decisions you can. Just because somebody says pitbulls can be dog agressive doesn't mean it's bashing pits, just as saying JRT's are usually dog agressive isn't bashing JRT's. I know we all get super sensitive about anything to do with pitbulls, whichever side of the fence you're on, but not every statement is meant to be bad it might simply be general observation/fact.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 07:27 PM
no when pits are mentioned.....whether in the media or on the internet it is usually not in a positive manner.....jmo

coppperbelle
January 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I think if I were the original poster I would follow the advice of someone who knew this breed first hand. It is fact that pits are bred to fight. It is instinctual as it is for herding dogs to herd and retrievers to retrieve. I own retrievers and can tell you it is very easy to get them to bring things to me without any formal training. True there are some retrievers that don't retrieve but they are the minority. Inverness has more experience with dogs of many different breeds, probably more than any of us will ever have. She has five pits in her house right now. I know whose advice I would follow if I were the original poster.

wdawson
January 28th, 2007, 07:36 PM
and inverness..

i'm irresponsible for giving my response to the op.......irresponsible for giving my personal experiences as my thoughts......as the original poster asked..:rolleyes:

BMDLuver
January 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Why when pits are involved can it not be a rational discussion with facts not feelings? Seems every time someone states a fact others get on a high horse. Please can we deal in realities on this discussion. Some of us have first hand knowledge of the damage that can be done. I adore the pit breed, I've helped as much as I can but I won't allow same sex to be in the same house... I know better.. nor will I allow same sex of any other breed to be in the same house. Pack hierarchy can lead to the death of a dog, no matter the breed so please don't look at it with rose colored glasses or assume it's directed at one particuliar breed. Caution caution caution with any same sex dog!

White Wolf
January 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM
The original question has been answered in many ways. Thread closed.