Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat heat cycle??

Dogastrophe
January 28th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for some info on what to look for when a cat goes into heat (when, what, how long, etc). Gracie is guesstimated to be 6 mos old. We are delaying getting her spayed until she gains her strength back, puts on a bit more weight. (for those not familiar with Gracie's story see http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35616&page=2&highlight=gracie and or http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35785&highlight=gracie).

If she is not ready prior to her cycle, what behaviour should we expect, etc.

Thanks,

jiorji
January 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM
umm well I'm not sure WHEN...my cat got spayed at around 6-7 months. I don't know for sure as I estimated her age too. Luckily she never went in heat, but the second cat that I got from the SPCA i suspect was already in heat at the time and i didn't notice until later on because she had the sniffles and she didn't have the strength to deal with her heat impulses.

But when Gracie goes in heat, oh you'll KNOW :laughing: :laughing:

There'll be lots of screaming, loud obnoxious meowing like someone's hurting her (because it does hurt for her) and she'll want to bolt out of the house at any chance she gets. She might claw at the door to get out. There'll be lots of rubbing against things and she'll want lots of petting.

But see, when Peanut went for her spay during her heat, she was really skinny too because she was way below her normal weight. So maybe in a week or two you can get Gracie spayed too. My cat bounced right back even if she didn't have the right body weight.

Dogastrophe
January 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
We are hoping that, if she continues to eat and get stronger like she is doing, she will be ready for spaying and vaccinations in a week or two. Hopefully she will get in prior to any heat cycle. Just wasn't sure on what to expect (I don't want to think that she has taken a turn for the worse and run her to the vet if she is acting 'normal'.

BTW, she is starting to look very good. What a difference a week makes!

:cat:

jiorji
January 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM
i hope she holds off before she gets fattened up :D for your sake and hers.
I've been scarred with my cat in heat experience. It's loud and it's so sad to see them squirm in pain and I live in a small apartment so I had nowhere to put her to mute the sound, so no sleep for 1 week and a half. My vet was booked solid:frustrated:

But all's good now, and Peanut wishes Gracie no heats :thumbs up :laughing:

erykah1310
January 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Oh... :eek: cat heat:eek:
You'll definately know... however, I had one cat a few years back who was quiet as could be, but rolled around all squirmy seductive like:shrug:
Once they go into heat, its like they are in heat ALL THE TIME.... It never ends until you spay, thats for sure...
Hopefully no heats and she gets well enough for spaying soon:pray: :fingerscr

CyberKitten
January 29th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Some breeds can go into heat as early as 4 mos but there are so many variables. She may even have gone into heat at one time. I would just ensure she never goes outside until she is ready to be spayed and then do it asap. I do think it is best she is healthy enough for the surgery and I am sure your vet had told you all of that. But it is certainly not uncommon for a kitten that young to go into heat, alas!! I'll cross my fingers for Gracie! Her condition (ie malnutrition) may have prevented a heat cycle but that's hard to know. Every cat is different.

Dogastrophe
January 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
We have booked Gracie for spaying on Feb 12. Based on her fantastic progress in the past week she should be very healthy and strong in two weeks.

Her coat is now very shiney, fluffy, and incredibly soft. Amazing what a belly full of (good) food and a nice warm place to rest can do.

erykah1310
January 29th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Great news!:thumbs up I'll be sending some good vibes:goodvibes:

CyberKitten
January 29th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Awwww, she is so cute - she must look even better now!!! Good for you and your family - uou are truly her angels!! :thumbs up

Thx for the update and the great news!! We hope for more pix too. (Not being pushy or anything, lol)