Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

any one elses cat do this?

RolandsMom
January 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Goodmorning. once again im looking for some insight.
My kitten has a very strange way of play sometimes. Well its strange to me cause none of my other cats did it.
He arches his back, puffs up his fur and bounds up to me sideways on his toes. its really funny. If i knew how to put up a video i would because its hard to explain. his favorite time to do this is when im coming round a corner or walking towards him from the other side of the room.
Also he attacks me sometimes so i cant get away!he gets this look in his eye (and i make an effort to move away from him when that look starts) he only does this to me and its hell to get him to stop. funny for those watching but he has razors in his mouth! He is obviously playing but why is it only me that he doest this to and no one else in the house?

Inisfad
January 28th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about!! All my kittens have done that, and in particular do that when they're playing with each other. I don't know if it's a reheaarsal for hunting or a defense thing, but it's common behavior.

Aimster
January 28th, 2007, 12:45 PM
My kitten did that too, she's 7 months old now and doesn't do it anymore. She only did it towards our older cat, I've been told that they do it to make themselves look bigger, to try and intimidate. It's cute!!

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Yes! I have seen kittens do this when playing.

Stacer
January 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
My female Finn does it too, not as much as she used to when she was a kitten though. She would get the zoomies and race around the apartment, and when she would approach our other cat she would turn sideways, arch her back and move towards him almost on her tip toes. We got a kick out of it, she was so small compared to our big boy Angus.

RolandsMom
January 28th, 2007, 06:04 PM
It cracks me up. hes so funny, all "im big and strong and puffed up so you better be careful" and then he goes moggy and runs around like a lunatic. Guess hes a happy healthy boy then.:love: :D

coper
January 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I have a 5 year old male cat and he still does that. Every time I come around a corner he will be waiting, all puffed up and arched and bouncing toward me. He never actually attacks, just turns and runs like a mad thing. He only does it to me but he also in the last while started insisting on wrestling my arm. I am trying to break him of this because he has sharp teeth, and he attacks for no reason. I refuse to wrestle and he persists anyway. He doesn't do this to anyone else in the house. I think it his perception that he is the same as me(I always feed him, medicate him, etc), or in other words, I'm a cat too.

RolandsMom
January 29th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Roland wrestles with only me too and he keeps doing so to the point of me having to remove myself from the room or he keeps at me. My boyfriend is very involved with him too though (as much as he likes to pretend he doesnt, he loves the little guy as much as i do.hehe) but i guess he thinks of me as the playmate rather than a mother figure. I hope Roland doesnt stop with the puff up thing. Its so cute and a great way to start a game with me. it also gives him excercise cause he goes pretty loco afterwards too!

dogcatharmony
January 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
my big cat Amos at ten years old still does this. He zooms down the stairs and comes to a stop in front of me all puffed up and wild eyed. Then he gets the real "zoomies" and runs from couch to couch to chair all puffed and freaky. He might even do a spin or two considering h0w cat like he is feeling that day. It is too cute to watch.......just make sure all fingers and toes are acounted for after his "wrath".

heidiho
January 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
To funny,my kitten just started doing that back arched ,sideways,and for the first time this weekend her tail was so puffed up ,i have never seen anything like it,we were dying laughing ,i mean her tail was huge,and she will come running at you,and then soemtimes right when she gets to you she comes to a dead stop and doesnt do anything.God i love cats,they are so funny:cat:

chico2
January 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
That's sooo cute and funny:cat:
My Vinnie,5yrs old does it to Rocky who's 10yrs old around 7pm every night,to get Rocky to chase him and it works:laughing:
Then the race begins:yell:

Winston
January 29th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Both of mine did that when they were kittens...Not so much now that they are older! It is a riot to watch! Enjoy it ! It is great!

Cindy