Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HEAT is coming - Kitten started Meowing after 7 months

crosswire
January 28th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Ok, heres the scoop, REcused saphi(my quitest female kitten ever) took her to the vet for her first short and he said that she still has a baby teeth and that was in November.

She never used to meow. All of a sudden this week or rather THIS Morning, she kept doing these short burst of meows...not a long one..but as if shes trying to bark..
And she keeps keep standing around my legs wanting me to pick her up.She squats a bit near my legs as if bending low....( PRAY its not heat yet :shrug: )

Now is it teeething?? do they do this ?(Im assuming no)

Or is this heat??
I haven't got her fixed yet....and didn't really get to the vet on time for that and Because she's only 7 months i didint really care much of spaying.

ANY ADVICE!

I assume the worst has happened...however if it has, how long does it last..I know the vet said its complicated to get her spayed if shes in heat, so thats out of the question.

~michelle~
January 28th, 2007, 10:35 AM
i wouls suggest a vet visit and getting her spayed asap. it sounds like heat but any change in behaviour should be addressed by a vetrinarian

Hunter's_owner
January 28th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Actually, a lot of vets will spay while the cat is in heat, so maybe you can get a second opinion.:shrug:

crosswire
January 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Yes i think shes in the heat form,sinc she keeps putting her back end up in the air as i pet her..and she keeps squirming on the floor..

This is her first heat and how long does it last? Should i look forward to sprayiing??

I HAVE TO CAL MY VET!:shrug:

Frenchy
January 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I don't know how long but I know it's long enough to be kind of...annoying. Not to mention very dangerous for her to get into trouble and believe me, you don't want that. There's enough cats looking for homes already. Please have her spay asap.

jiorji
January 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Actually, a lot of vets will spay while the cat is in heat, so maybe you can get a second opinion.:shrug:

yep that's true mine got spayed during heat. Trust me the sooner the better, and your cat will thank you for it.:thumbs up

Inisfad
January 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
A vet will spay when your cat is in heat. And it seems like it's time to, without further delay!! I don't know what you meant by looking forward to spraying? A typo? Only males spray!

Inisfad
January 28th, 2007, 01:11 PM
she keeps putting her back end up in the air as i pet her..
Most cats do that, whether they're in heat or not, and whether their spayed or not. Seems to be some kind of reflex? Anyway, the rule usually is to spay a female at 6 months and neuter the male at 7 or 8. I usually don't wait until they go into heat, but if they get to 6 months old, away they go!

crosswire
January 28th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the advice,
Yes shes sleeping now and quite :pray:
Off to the vet tomorrow.

Regarding the spraying, i thought females do it too like the males.
I hope the vet doesnt tell me that they can't spay her because she's in heat..I did hear a rumour that they waait until the cat passes the heat phase.mmm
we shall see and ill keep ya updated.

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Some females do spray, but it's more common in males. Some vets will spay during heat, others won't. Depends on your vet. Good luck!

vfrohloff
January 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Only males spray!

Sorry but that's a common misconception. Some females will mark all over the house when they're not spayed, and particularly when they're in heat. I had 2 female kittens that I couldn't get spayed until 8 months old (they had medical issues that prevented it) and they peed all over my house. Good thing I have mostly tile floors!

Crosswire, you seem surprised that your cat went into heat at 7 months. I've seen it as early as 5 months old, with the average being around 6 or 7 months. I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend getting her spayed when you first took her in. Some vets will spay when they're in heat but you'd have to call around and ask. Good luck!