Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yoga?

technodoll
January 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
do any of you practice yoga? i'd like to start but... it's all so intimidating! :o

jiorji
January 28th, 2007, 12:16 AM
i thought of taking up yoga classes, but i too am indimidated and i'm not that stretchy:o

Yoga's actually one of the paths to enlightenment in Hindu mysticism. And it's supposed to help you control your body NOT tone you up ;)
You control your breath to control your thoughts and ultimately you control your impulses and don't react so easy to temptations

dustybird
January 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I have a dvd around here somewhere that I got for free. I tried it twice and then got to frustrated as "I can't bend that way'. I know over time I would hope I could but...just to frustrating...for me anyway.

You could borrow a dvd from the library to see if you might like it before spending money on classes.

technodoll
January 28th, 2007, 12:32 AM
my brother's xmas gift to me was a gift-certificate for a session with a personal yoga trainer (whom he actually dated for a while a few years ago, she teaches yoga for a living). then he shows up tonight with a DVD for Ashanga Yoga, i have no clue what that even is, LOL! so the signs are pointing in the right direction... i think? :confused:

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2007, 12:38 AM
See if you can find some cheap easy Yoga DVDs...like Yoga Zone or one of those introductory ones. Short workouts, fairly easy, and once you progress past them, the workouts you started with are great as stretching exercises... :thumbs up

If you even do one or two sessions on your own, it's a lot less intimidating when you go in for your first class. :shrug:

What I like about Yoga is that I can almost bend when I'm done with a session...which sounds bad, but usually I'm stiff like a board, so "almost bending" is a very good thing! :crazy:

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Yes, I've done yoga but am not currently practicing. The first class was a Hatha yoga class, I guess a general beginner one. Not a yoga expert, but I think many types are Hatha but have a more specific name. It was great for improving my flexibility and also to help relax, and learn proper breathing technique. If you go to a beginning hatha yoga class you would be fine, the instructors will help you. The other classes I've taken were Vinyasa, which I believe is a type of Hatha yoga. It was more difficult, a lot of flowing movements and Sun Salutations. We didn't stop moving in that class... The other one, which I am addicted to but my instructor had to close shop :sad: is called Bikram yoga. Also a type of Hatha yoga. This is a series of poses done in a very hot and humid room. It is not for everyone, but I totally loved it. Even though it's been months my core strength is still good (lost the flexibility though). This was great for a all around workout, very sweaty and cleansing. I miss it!!! If you stick with it, you would become very strong. It also helped heal a leg injury of mine. If you take a yoga class, let us know how it goes!

Puppyluv
January 28th, 2007, 07:03 AM
My aunt is a certified yogi, so I practice it whenever we're in the same city, and I also take classes from time to time.
Not yoga, but if anyone's interested there is a free pilates class at the Lululemon on Greene ave (1394 Greene ave in mtl) on the 29th from 7pm-8:30pm, for ALL ability levels. If you don't have a mat, they will supply one for you, but if you have one, bring it.

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 07:12 AM
This article may help explain some...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatha_Yoga

Tapes are ok, at least to give you an idea of what the poses look like and such. However, to do them properly it is best to have an instructor help you. In a beginning class you would be fine although i'm sure there are good and bad instructors. They should help you do the poses correctly so you don't hurt yourself. Proper breathing technique is essential.

tully
January 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM
do any of you practice yoga? i'd like to start but... it's all so intimidating! :o

My brother is a yoga instructor. He teaches about 40 classes a week. He is that guy that can do those freakish poses and you are like how did you do that:crazy: I actually like Chakra yoga, some call it Kundalini. It is different in its poses. It also uses breath of fire. I find it very centering and more spiritual. Yoga can be most athletic depending on what class you take and how the person uses it. Yoga is defiantely a challenge for me. Usually, by the 4th chakra I am thinking of other things and ready to get going with the day. I am more comfortable moving so things like Turbo Jam or walking the doggies:dog: are more in my comfort zone! So, it definately pushes my limits:pawprint:

Lukka'sma
January 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
My sister wanted to try this but also thought it was too intimidating, so her husband and her opted for T'ai Chi, Ti Chi or Tai Chi not too sure of spelling. Anyway they love it.

LynLyn
January 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I used to do Bikrams (the hot and sweaty room) Yoga when I was in Vancouver. I found that my instructors didn't force me into any positions that I couldn't do, you just look at the poses and do what you can, the important thing is just to push yourself.

I started out doing Yoga to tone up and lose weight, but about after a month, I was doing it because I loved it, it was so amazing to be in that hot room thinking about absolutely nothing but your breathing and the poses, not how many calories have I burned, and I wonder if I'll fit into that bikini in time for vacation.

I recommend it totally, I know it can be totally intimidating, but once you're in that room, you'll find that nobody cares how you look, or doing your pose correctly, or how flexible you are they're too busy concentrating on their own poses, and their breathing. The instructor (if they're good) will be the only one looking at you, and they will help you in any way they can)

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM
That's so true LynLyn! It is hard to think of anything else in that hot room, the experience washes the world away. I sure miss that great feeling after class. Any type of yoga, though, the key is your instructor. If you find a good one, there is no need to be intimindated. Chances are there is someone else in class in your same boat. There are beginning and advanced classes and various levels within the same class. The instructor can tell where you're at and should not push you too hard. Tell them if you have an injury, they may have alternative suggestions for certain poses.

Frenchy
January 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I had a Power Yoga videotape, tried it a couple times. It says you should relax and concentrate on your breathing. I just couldn't do it ! Me ? Relax ? :confused: So it just got me mad and stress because I couldn't do it,I gave the tape to a friend. I did like the exercise and the bending (woohoo!) Bought another one last year, it still in it's enveloppe beside the video player.

jiorji
January 28th, 2007, 03:36 PM
well yoga IS about breathing and relaxation. Ultimately, the Hindu essetics hope to control their breathing so that they put their body in this trance and don't need food and water for many hours, or days.

it's kind of funny how things get taken from a culture and get brough to another and the true meaning of these practices gets lost. And then you get your trendy Yoga gear and comfortable yoga matress, and then meanwhile there's some essetic man in the woods in India who's doing his Yoga on some tree roots and yet he's not wearing his tight Yoga pink pants :laughing: and he's not thinking about losing weight. Because Yoga is about NOT THINKING...AT ALL!! If you're doing Yoga and are thinking any thought...then you're doing it wrong. THere shouldn't be someone there saying "ok so now put your leg around your neck" lol because you're supposed to be in a trance and hear but not hear almost. Awareness during Yoga is wrong. ;)

I too have this Yoga tape I bought but I can't take it seriously because the lady who narrates the positions has this thick Texan accent and it makes me giggle everytime she speaks :laughing: ...and there's no space in my apartment for Yoga :o

technodoll
January 28th, 2007, 04:34 PM
ok speaking of yoga-wear... what is the best thing TO wear? all i have are jeans and i'm fairly certain that won't work :o loose sweatpants? tight ones? what's the best material? what do you wear on top? i need to make sure to have the proper gear for all that stretching... :goodvibes:

jiorji
January 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM
ummm nekkid yoga is best...so i heard :o

hehe
they say you should wear clothing that isn't tight or tangles you up or is uncomfortable to wear.

Let me know how your first session goes TD, maybe i'll consider it down the line too if you survive :D :laughing:

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM
NO JEANS! Yes, wear something stretchy. You want to be comfortable so you aren't bothered by anything you are wearing and are only focusing on the yoga itself. Wear whatever is comfortable. On top, I wear something form fitting as if you bend over, you don't want your shirt falling over your head! Typically yoga is done barefoot. If your hair is long you may want to tie it back so it is not always in your face while you're moving around.

jiorji, go take a Bikram class if you have one nearby. you will not be thinking of anything else besides what you are doing, guaranteed! You may wonder if you will survive, though, until the end when you realize you have and are stronger for it.

technodoll
January 28th, 2007, 07:48 PM
i badly need to learn to stretch again... it seems that over the years, my muscles have slowly atrophied :o but they are screaming for relief, you know?... OK i'll have to fix my cruddy toes up (time for pedicure... ugghh) if barefoot, i have some stretchy pants lying around and a t-shirt, that should do... gotta call up that yoga instructor now and get an appointment. so exciting! :p

Prin
January 28th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I've never done yoga, but I did do pilates for preggers women once.:D I had to teach a class for a course I was taking for exercise science so me and a couple others taught a pilates for preggers class...:D

Anyway, Johnny Depp played a crazy Yogi on King of the Hill once... It was funny.

That's about all I know about yoga.:D

TeriM
January 28th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I used to do a Power Yoga (very similar to Ashtanga) that I loved. My core (back/tummy etc) was strongest it had ever been and I had no back pain which I usually have on an ongoing basis. I find regular yoga quite boring and my mind wanders but the Power Yoga has a continual flow (and a real cute, sexy instructor) and challenges my body for a real workout.

I really need to get back into it but they changed the class time so now it is really hard to get to :sad: .