Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Huge python makes a meal of 11 guard dogs

Kristin7
January 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM
KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 26 (Reuters Life!) - Guard dogs protecting a fruit orchard in Malaysia have met their match -- a 7.1-metre-long (23-ft-long) python that swallowed at least 11 hounds before it was finally discovered by villagers.

"I was shocked to see such a huge python," orchard-keeper Ali Yusof told the New Straits Times in an article published beneath a picture of the captured snake, which was almost long enough to span the width of a tennis court and as thick as a tree trunk.

Villagers did not harm the snake, which was tied to a tree then handed to wildlife officials, the paper said on Friday.

Yikes!

RolandsMom
January 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Yikes is right! thats one big snake! my uncle found a big one on his game farm in South Africa after it ate his fox terrier. they get to be monsters!

Dogastrophe
January 27th, 2007, 09:28 AM
The Wildlife and Game department in the everglade region of Florida are having a big problem with people releasing their pet snakes into the wild after they become too large to keep. The are finding that the boas and pythons that are being released are preying on the native animal population, including large alligators.

I recall seeing a picture in Nat Geographic many years ago of an extremely large snake that was captured by villagers in the Amazon region of South America. There were at least 15 adult men holding this snake, which was at least 20 feet long.

Prin
January 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Freaky! :eek:

Colubridz
January 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Well I guess I should be happy my largest snake will only get 9 feet and be way to skinny to ever eat any of my cats or dog:). Sucks for the dogs though but Reticulated pythons can easily take down a full grown Cow, a dog wouldn't be much of a problem.

Kayla

Frenchy
January 27th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Stories like these make me happy to live here !

Kristin7
January 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM
A cow? Wow, can you imagine seeing a giant snake w/ a cow sized lump?!