Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Roland just tried to bury his food!!??

RolandsMom
January 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM
my kitty went to his food bowl, had a little snack then tried to bury his food with imaginary sand around it. i take this as a hint that he doesnt like his food anymore?? i went out and got him some new food. i think its a great find! its called Orijen. made in canada with 45 percent protein. first 5 ingridients: fresh chicken meat (grain fed), low ash chicken meal, turkey meal, steamed russet potatoes,fresh caught northern whitefish. it carries on really well from there. i put some in his regular food and he went nuts. so i guess i have redeemed myself as great food provider.

dogcatharmony
January 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
My cats bury their food when they really are not hungry and it is instinct from the wild that makes them do this. If they bury it no one else will find it. It is a hoot to watch ........wonder how they think "imaginary" sand will hide the food!!

RolandsMom
January 26th, 2007, 10:06 PM
yea it was pretty funny, expecially considering hes the only pet in the house and i for sure dont try eat his food! but he ate a load once the new stuff was in there so maybe he was just a little bored with it too.

dogcatharmony
January 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
oh I know all about that "bored" with my food look. My little cat Phoebe is as picky as they come. If i feed her the same flavor of wet food two days in a row she gets all out of sorts. She will actually push her food dish off the stairs and then give me the look "see the dog won't even eat it, why should I " Gotta love the kitties, they just are so much fun.

vfrohloff
January 27th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Actually, it's probably a hint that he does like his food. It's just that he's not that hungry right now so he's trying to bury it so he can come back later and get it when he is hungry.

Inisfad
January 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
its a great find! its called Orijen.
I'm so jealous when you all talk about this great selection of food you can get. Where I live, if your cat wants something better than Whiskas or Friskies, you've had it. Maybe Kite Kat in a couple of places. The vets only tout Hills (who I've heard do animal testing), so there is really no selection at all, unless you try to make the food yourself...

RolandsMom
January 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
There are a couple of online pet stores that you can buy quality food from. One i just looked up is petacular.com. I guess they mail it to you.I guess it may be a bit more expensive with the postage but in the long run i think it would be worth it cause you will have healthier pets and they eat less if its good food (that what i hear, it makes sense i guess cause they get more nutrition from less food than they would from the same amount of junk food!
i hope that helps!

chico2
January 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Rolandsmom,Inisfad is in Ireland,they probably will not ship that far..
My cats do the same with their foodbowl,Rocky actually pulls down my dish-towel to try to hide his food for later.
I take it away and give it back to Rocky later,otherwise Vinnie my little(big)chub will eat it all.

LL1
January 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I shared my life with a blind rescued dog.She would try and hide or bury her special bones and treats.Worst case was in the litter box :eek: best case was under couch cushions!

RolandsMom
January 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM
AAhhh yes, probably wont ship that far! lol
i guess i was mistaken about his reason for trying to bury his food! it turns out it was a good thing since i discovered the Orijen as a result!
In the litter box? gross! i havent found anything hidden in strange places..yet...

EdwinBird
January 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
It actually says "fresh chicken meat"?

RolandsMom
January 27th, 2007, 07:45 PM
yes. fresh chicken meat, chicken meal, turkey meal russet potatoes and fresh caught northern whitemeat are the first 5 ingredients. lots of fish in it i guess too. Roland loves it! and hes still trying to bury it so i guess i was wrong!