Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why are some people luckier than others?

Rick C
January 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Interesting study on why some of you have more luck than others.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3335275.stm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

technodoll
January 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
interesting article :thumbs up

i consider myself a VERY lucky person... both my parents are alive and well, the kids all get along well and have good healthy lives, never any fights or drama or major illnesses (knock on wood). none of us are rich by any means but it sure feels like we are. i'm aging gracefully in a happy and healthy relationship, i have the two best dogs in the world, i love my job and my coworkers and the pay is pretty good, never been sick in a serious way or neurotic, i traveled alot when i was younger so don't feel "cheated from life" or anything... and i have you guys here :o yeah, i'm good. i'm lucky and i know it!! :goodvibes:

~michelle~
January 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I am always a huge believer in self fullfilling prophecies. you believe you are going to have a good day you can have a good day. and "lucky" people do look at the world differently, if you think about all the bad in your life and harp on it you will feel unlucky but if you look at the good in your life you can feel lucky

breeze
January 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Here are Professor Wiseman's four top tips for becoming lucky:

Listen to your gut instincts - they are normally right

Be open to new experiences and breaking your normal routine

Spend a few moments each day remembering things that went well

Visualise yourself being lucky before an important meeting or telephone call. Luck is very often a self-fulfilling prophecy

the first one i have to agree with I go with my instincts almost all the time. thesecond one sounds scary because new experiences can land you in the poor house ( from personal experence) and the last one you must teach yourself .
positive thinking is the way to go, but that to you must teach yourself.

Kristin7
January 26th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Amusing article, and it has a ring of truth. I am not sure I believe in luck although I suppose if someone wins the lottery that is luck, but I call it chance. And I don't play because I know how small the chance is... We have a lot more control over what happens to us than most of us realize. That said, we can't control everything and that leaves a certain percentage of luck or bad fortune to enter our lives, or fate if you will. Yes, follow your gut, but sometimes I wish I'd followed my heart instead. And, sometimes I wish I hadn't. It's all life. As long as you're learning and growing, you're living it, lucky or not. Even bad luck can be turned into good if you learn from it. And I must say, that saying 'be careful what you wish for' is always good to remember. Sometimes what seems to be good luck is really not.

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 05:20 PM
A few years ago I probably would have agreed, but now I realize that a lot in life is so beyond your control that even without the negative self-fulfilling prophesies, and without a negative outlook and with feeling lucky, you can still have bad luck.:o

Like the whole noticing ads and things part- an employer I really want to work for but hadn't been successful in one interview back in 2002 basically overlooked my cv when I would apply for new jobs, even a few years later, but noticing slight details, like a lucky person (so they say), I saw that the HR person changed (finally!) and I applied again, interviewed really confidently because I knew the questions they were going to ask and came in #2. :D

Anyway, point being you can control and perform on your side, but that doesn't guarantee that the other side that you don't control will do its part for you either.:shrug:

So for me, luck is defined a different way. It's more of a love and happiness thing than an opportunity thing. I'm lucky because I have been given the ability to cope through almost everything, enough intelligence to carry on a decent conversation and to keep my mind busy, and the gift of seeing beauty in the little every day things all around me. That's luck.

Like my grandmother used to say, "I'm lucky to get a bad song stuck in my head because a lot of people have much worse things going on in there than a bad song".:D :shrug:

Frenchy
January 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM
A few years ago I probably would have agreed, but now I realize that a lot in life is so beyond your control that even without the negative self-fulfilling prophesies, and without a negative outlook and with feeling lucky, you can still have bad luck.:o

I totally agree. I'm extremely positive, I do volunteer work , I'm nice to everyone (but can be a b**** when I need to) try to help as many people I can, always worked hard but I always been unlucky. Friends and coworkers always laugh because things always seem to happen to me, example ; 2 years ago I had someone to repair my pool. The man was swearing because the hoses didn't fit, he told me ; only one out of a thousand pool has those size of hose. Yep, had to be my pool. I don't know anyone that has a dog who's heartworm positive. Adopted Bailey, my first dog, from a shelter. Test at the vet; yep,positive for heartworm. I could go on an on. You know, when people say it's very unlikely to happen ? Well, it probably will happen to me ! :p But I learned to deal with it , I guess it made me stronger :shrug: But sometimes I wish I would get a break :o

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Me too! That's what I tell my man. I haven't found a job yet, and he got laid off- I really thing something good is going to happen. Sure, life isn't fair, but it's not hideously unfair either, right? Right?! :pray: :D

Frenchy
January 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Me too! That's what I tell my man. I haven't found a job yet, and he got laid off- I really thing something good is going to happen. Sure, life isn't fair, but it's not hideously unfair either, right? Right?! :pray: :D

This girl I work with, the one I don't like because she backstabs everyone, I heard her the other day saying she found a $50 bill on the floor at Walmart ! I couldn't believe it ! Of all the people in Walmart, she's the one who picked it up (and kept it) :confused: Where is the fairness in that ? (is fairness a word ? :o )

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, fairness is a word, but justice is a better one.:D And I don't know... But I did find $60 in a garbage at costco (the garbage was full and the money was just lying on top...:confused: ). I got to have good groceries that week! :highfive: So my fair $60 trumps her unfair $50, right? :D

technodoll
January 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
two years ago dakotah found $40 :D hubby was out walking him one spring morning, half asleep, and beanie pulled him to a spot between two shrubs and was sniffing and sniffing, so we went to see what the issue was and there were two $20 bills neatly folded lying on the ground - we joked that he paid for his food that month, now if only he could do it on a regular basis :laughing:

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM
lol now he has to find two $100 bills in those bushes every month.:D