Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fleas?

kmjx65
January 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Is there any way dogs can have flea dirt but not fleas?
I think I may have found some flea dirt while brushing Ebie's hair last night. I have never seen any evidence of her iching or biting at her fur but I found little circular flecks of what is likely to be flea dirt. I am planning to do a test on a wet paper towel tonight.

Oddly enough, Cookie has been the one that has been itching and biting at her fur. Cookie has extremely short hair while Ebie's is long and fluffy. Do fleas prefer one type of coat over another?

I haven't seen any adult fleas but am worried there are eggs in Ebie's fur. She's a white eskimo so it's pretty hard to find. Cookie on the has been itching much more than usual but I haven't seen any white specks on her. What do the eggs look like? Are the visibile to the naked eye?

This is what we will do tonight:
Check the dirt to find out if it is flea dirt
Vacuum the whole apartment and wash everything - should I get some sort of flea power for the carpet?
Bathe both dogs - should I use a flea shampoo or just regular? I would hate to expose them to the chemicals if it isn't necessary

We're seeing the vet tomrrow to pick up Revolution and have them double check as well.
Should I start giving the dogs garlic? Both have pretty sensitive stomach so I would hate to give them an upset stomach while (if) they're dealing with fleas.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks.

kmjx65
January 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I almost forgot. If they do have fleas, why is it that I haven't been bit? Are some fleas not attracted to humans?

dogcatharmony
January 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I just had a big flea clean up myself. With the unseasonable warm weather they seem to be running rampant this year. The funny thing was I have three animals, 2 cats (indoor only) and a dog. My cat was the one who ended up with the fleas. He had a severe reaction one day and i rushed him to the vet. After about 10 mins of looking the vet found one little flea, no flea dirt. He gave me a spray and Advantage for all three animals. I would see the vet first myself. I wouldn't bathe them in flea shampoo and then go to the vet and get a flea treatment.....to much chemicals IMO. I find the spray the vet gave me better than what i can purchase at a pet store. Only have to use a tiny bit and It kills adults, eggs and the residue protects for 7 months. I just dislike those littler critters so much!!

kmjx65
January 26th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Did the vet supply with a prescription spray? Do you know what it was called? Thanks!

wdawson
January 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM
i have 3 cats and 2 dogs and i an into the second treatment of six....get advantage,sentinal and there are more , i just can't remember the names , some are flea only , some are flea and tick and others also cover heartworm....ask your vet what he thinks they should be protected against...oh and the cost is based on the weight of your pets.

wolfsoul
January 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I would avoid any chemical shampoos. :) I haven't dealt with fleas on my dogs, but I did have a big lice problem with my rats. You can buy a herbal shampoo or make your own. Cedar oil, citrus (d-limonene), coconut, peppermint, eucalyptus, neem, tea tree oil (not too much!), etc are all good for killing parasites. Make sure to leave the shampoo on for a very long time!