Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to do in Montreal?

LynLyn
January 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Well hubby and I have been here for about 2 months, don't really speak the language (although we are now in school) and haven't really done anything, so we find Montreal boring (Cause we're always inside our house and we have no friends)

Can any Montrealers recommend something to do? free stuff, spend money stuff? I have a car so I can get around, that's not an issue. I've already done the typical stuff, like catch a movie, and shopped on St. Catherines. Can anyone recommend fun stuff?

diandpat
January 26th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I checked your profile and you don't have any hobbies listed so it is difficult to know what direction to point you in!
Where in Montreal are you?
What are you studying?
Would you consider volunteer work?
Where did you move here from?
With a bit more info I am sure you will get some ideas.
I would LOVE to be bored!!! There is always something to do.

poodletalk
January 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
SPCA Monteregie is always looking for volunteers to help out at fundraisers :D

Frenchy
January 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
spend money stuff?

You can come to my place anytime :D

cpietra16
January 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Where abouts do you live?

technodoll
January 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
mmm check these out!

http://www.montrealvip.com/activities.htm

http://www.growthadventures.ca/

http://www.montreal.com/

http://www.montrealmirror.com/listings/

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp

:thumbs up :D

meb999
January 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM
oooo, so much to do!! Biodome, museums, theatres, SHOPPING...
There's often cheap photo and painting exhibits...I must admit though, the city is a little more 'dead' during winter. During summer there's always a free festival going on in the streets somewhere!! :D Just wait out the cold, things get wild once the heat comes! :thumbs up

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Oo don't forget the Ecomuseum! It's a bit of a drive, but it's so fun!
http://www.ecomuseum.ca/home.html

You can also go to a hockey game too- it's expensive, but I think everybody has to do it at least once...:)

Ooo and skating on Beaver Lake!

And I think the winter carnival thingy is on at Parc Jean Drapeau this weekend or something....

And then there are all the clubs and things to do at night....:shrug:

Puppyluv
January 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Starting tomorrow, at Parc Jean Drapeau is the "fete des neiges". It's always a fun event, and a great way for new comers to experience some of the winter traditions here. http://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/en/evenements/fetedesneiges.asp
Montreal High Lights is coming up : http://www.montrealenlumiere.com/ It's an opportunity for great fun and even greater food.

Now that it's cold, go skating in the old port, or up on the mountain (and while you're up there, take a nice walk of the mountain to see the views)

There are a million and one museums and gallaries here.
I second the biodome suggestion, though it's most fun when the insectarium is having their bug-food exhibit.

CyberKitten
January 27th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I have to admit - your remark is one for my own record book. This is the first time in my lifetime I have ever heard Montreal described as "boring" and I do not live there - I just visit on occasion. I love the city. I will leave it up to ppl who live there to offer suggestions but it depends on what your interests are.

I would never consider not knowing the other language as a problem - you could enrol in a language class and start to learn French and that would be a superb way of meeting people. Also, Mtl has some truly classic neighbourhoods in Canada - just reread some of your Canadian literature, scenes from Mtl come out as vibrant and exciting - regardless of the language.

And of course it more than a two culture city - there are so many different cultures, the Greeks, the Irish (had to include that - just visit Hurley's http://www.hurleysirishpub.com/ - you will never be bored there. Or Schwartz' or the best poutine places (you have to try it least once) - there prob was a Scottish event, this being Bobby Burns day and all yesterday (It still feels like it is tioday - looong day!!. There is a vibrant Jewish community - and Mtl has the 2nd largest Yiddish speaking population in all of North America.

Regardless of where you live in Mtl, it is not difficult to get to where you want to go (at least I never found it to be such, even when I was on foot and using the metro). If you like sports, you have les Habs (I won't mention Les Expo's, sigh!) and the Alouettes and university sports. There are some wonderful museums and galleries if you like art. There is great shopping - the first one that comes to my mind if Fairview but that is really a mall kind of thing - visit the smaller and more interesting shops in centre ville. And there are excellent universities and other schools if you do want to study art or music or medicine. It is a city where even the train station is not boring and that is truly a commentary on life in that city. Even in one of my fav cities - Dublin - the train stations are blase. Not so at Place Ville Marie.

There is the Chinese section with all the unique shops there. One could easily spend a day there!!

I could go on and on!! (and I am not being paid by the Tourism Bureau of Mtl, lol) Then again, I have had a few adventures in Mtl. It is just an exciting city - and as much as I love Halifax - mostly because it is small and friendly yet has all the civic amenities plus tons of history, great parks and wonderful restaurants, it does not have that je ne sais quoi multicultural aspect that Mtl seems to exude from its very marrow.

I don't know your interests but I do know that whatever they are, you will find something to satisfy them in Mtl!!

Plus, even if you could care less for Celtic music, Salty Dog is playing tonite at Hurley's, lol

Have fun getting to know the city!

badger
January 27th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Check out the McCord Museum on Sherbrooke Street near McGill University. It is full of interesting exhibits on the history of Montreal, so you get an idea of how a small patch of land near the old port grew into the city it is now.

The Bibliothèque Nationale on Berri near Ontario, is fabulous. A borrower's card is free and they have lots of English books, DVDs, CD's. Plus it's a beautiful building and there's a café, so you can spend several hours there. Check out films made by the National Film Board; some of them are excellent (I think there are even DVD players so you can look at films right there, decide whether you want to take them home).

If you are coming from a warmer climate, make sure you get outside regularly. Dress warmly and take a walk!

A good map always gets me going.

K9Friend
January 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well hubby and I have been here for about 2 months, don't really speak the language (although we are now in school) and haven't really done anything, so we find Montreal boring (Cause we're always inside our house and we have no friends)

Can any Montrealers recommend something to do? free stuff, spend money stuff? I have a car so I can get around, that's not an issue. I've already done the typical stuff, like catch a movie, and shopped on St. Catherines. Can anyone recommend fun stuff?

Where are ya from!? Get out there - there is tons to see & do here.

LynLyn
January 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I come from Vancouver so the cold is kinda putting me off going outside.
I am currently in french classes, and I'm learning slowly but surely. (Bonjour je m'appelle Lyn :p )

Thank you for all the suggestions! Keep em coming.

As for hobbies and such, I'm really open minded, I'll try just about anything once.

I'm from the Riviere De Prairies area, so getting downtown is technically not difficult, the only thing is in Vancouver I lived 5 minutes away and so anything more than that is wow so far!!! But I'm adjusting :cool:

I actually have been to a hockey game! It was the Vancouver Canucks vs. Montreal Canadiens game (surprise surprise) It was a wonderful experience (4-0 vancouver baby!!!) and I think Luongo and the first 6 rows all heard that I wanted to have his baby (he's my future husband, and the father of all my future children! Hubby is ok with this as he is quite the hockey whore himself)

I thought the fetes de neiges was for children only? no?

I would love to go clubbing cause in Vancouver I was out every weekend doing it, but I hate clubbing with hubby cause he's not a dancer and I don't do dancing by myself (other guys think I'm single and it's just annoying).

{poodletalk} I thought of doing some volunteer work at SPCA monteregie, but I couldn't find any contact info at their website.

I will check out Schwartz' for sure, when hubby and I first came here we went on a Poutine rampage, every place we went to had pretty watery gravy and soggy fries, one person's even said "you have to go check out McDonalds, they have the best poutine in Montreal" after that I figured maybe poutine is not that great after all. any chance you know where schwartz' is?

Puppyluv
January 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Schwartz's is at 3895 St Laurent. If you go, order your meat as "medium". Lean is dry :yuck: and the fatty stuff is just too well, fatty. Fete des Neiges has children activities, but it's still a neat place to check out. They have a sugar shack, ice skating, carriage rides, etc. They also have little IR-heat rooms so you can warm up. Besides, today isn't cold.;)

Prin
January 27th, 2007, 01:38 PM
So uhh... we're not going to the ecomuseum then? :sad: :D

The easiest way to get up the mountain from where you are is to take the 40 to St Laurent and then drive down St Laurent (becomes Clarke and then St Urbain after a little while, but you just follow the traffic) and then turn right on Mont Royal and eventually you'll see signs to go up the mountain (I would guess... but then this is Quebec, right? :D).

Yeah, it's pretty cold these days... Bit of a cold snap going on.:shrug: Better than rain, right? :highfive:

Prin
January 27th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Ooo have you had a Fairmount bagel yet?! Oooo!!! You could drive down St Laurent/St-Urbain like I suggested, stop at Fairmount, grab some bagels, then continue down to Schwartz's! :highfive: (you'd have to do a couple of boxes to get back into the direction you want to go in though- St Laurent is up at the bottom and St Urbain is down...)

LynLyn
January 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM
So uhh... we're not going to the ecomuseum then? :sad: :D

ecomuseum is on to do list! it just wasn't addressed b/c info was easily found on the internet:thumbs up

Prin
January 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
LOL cool. Just don't be a moron like me and ask the staff where the bears are right now and why they're never out.:o

cpietra16
January 27th, 2007, 09:14 PM
My parents don't live too far from RDP...I've lived on Vancouver Island for 20 years. I now live on Montreal and my husband (Alberta origin) is also struggling with the language...we should get together...\:D

Prin
January 27th, 2007, 09:20 PM
lol As long as you stay in Montreal, you should be ok.:D

poodletalk
January 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Lyn:

If you want to volunteer with SPCA Monteregie, please PM me! I am incharge of the volunteers

LynLyn
January 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
My parents don't live too far from RDP...I've lived on Vancouver Island for 20 years. I now live on Montreal and my husband (Alberta origin) is also struggling with the language...we should get together...\:D

Be careful!! I may take you up on that offer! We can stand around and try to speak broken french to eachother!! :p

badger
January 28th, 2007, 01:05 PM
French telly is good for getting your ear attuned to the language and if you've got cable, subtitles help too.

Also, newspapers are good, the language is pretty standard and you pick up new words. One day, you'll start 'getting' the headlines, then the first paragraph, then the whole article. Reading as well as speaking reinforce each other, I think. And don't worry about making mistakes, it's all part of the journey.

Boubou
January 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM
One of my most favorite places to go on a Saturday nite is (and I'm not just saying this because we are doing a fundraiser there on February 24th at 8:30 pm for the SPCA Monteregie), the Comedy Nest (it's on the corner of Atwater and St. Catherine in the old Forum on the third floor). To me, going to a nice restaurant before the show, then arriving there and having a drink (or two :rolleyes: ) before the show starts, then laughing til you cry is my idea of a great evening. And i still make it home in time for Mad TV!

Boubou
January 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
And the shows are always in English and it's very reasonably priced ($12 sat. nite, cheaper during the week)......

LynLyn
January 29th, 2007, 08:38 PM
And the shows are always in English and it's very reasonably priced ($12 sat. nite, cheaper during the week)......

ooooh!! definitely interested!

technodoll
January 29th, 2007, 08:41 PM
LynLyn, if you want a kick@ss poutine, go to Frite Alors (here are the locations: http://www.fritealors.com/an/info.html) or Lafleur's (for locations: http://www.restaurantlafleur.com/).

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: