Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog parks..

Rottielover
January 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Hey guys
Trainers and I were having a really good discussion on this.
are you for or against them...
And explain please
I hate dog parks for many reason, one being is most, not all, have no control over their dogs in one.
Alot of people do not know how to read body languageof the dogs, which causes many outbreaks in negative behaviour.
Up until Harley I never really paid attention, but let me tell you, after him being attacked 2 times at one, enough is enough.
Dogs do not need other dogs to play with. They want human companionship, and would much rather play with the owner than another dog.
That is my opinion, I can go alot further but hand getting too sore.
Let me all know what you think.

Hunter's_owner
January 25th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I am for them, because for Hunter it is a great place to go to play with other dogs.
But. Hunter isn't agressive at all, and he will not push, or run up to another animal in a dog park. For some reason, he doesn't act the same in them, as he does in our yard, or even my Uncle's yard where he gets to play with all kinds of animals. I guess he knows it is neutral territory:shrug:

The only bad thing I have ever found with them is that he caught a kennel cough there last summer:o

So for Hunter, they are great, it is very unlikely for anything to happen to Hunter there, as he backs off easily.

I would never in a million years bring Cassie there. Cassie is the boss of Hunter, yet she is very skittish out in public, so it wouldn't be a good place for her at all.

So dog parks can be good, but it depends on the dog, and it also depends on the other people who go there.

jesse's mommy
January 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I like the one I found here. It's on 23 acres of land, has a lake, lots of trails and paths and it's a great place. Of all the times we've gone, I would say 99% of the owners are EXTREMELY responsible. There's always a few that are an exception. But during these exceptions, I've seen all the responsible owners jump right in to help remedy the problem. Now I'm not saying there are arguments or fights or anything like that, but the owners jump right in to help each other. I know that not all dog parks are like this one, but as long as we have positive experiences with other responsible owners, we will keep going because Jesse just has so much fun!

TMac
January 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I voted against, but I have to qualify it somewhat: I used to LOVE dog parks and went there all the time. However, I soon realized that the dog park near me is full of idiots who don't watch their dog properly or do stupid things as in the thread Aimster started. Now if I do go, I steer clear of the dumb people who stand around yapping while their dog is 2 fields away causing havoc. If we do go (which is rare now) we go to the back of the park where there is a nice series of walking trails and we can keep moving if we come across any idiots.

Byrd
January 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Ours is 25 acres with trees and a creek lots of walking trails. We have fun there walking in the woods and playing with the other dogs.

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I don't know for sure how I feel about them. Lukka is not the dog for a dog park though. The breed is known for aggression and better safe than sorry. I found that when things did go wrong at the park, they tended to go very wrong and very quickly. Never involved my dog but who knows how many more visits until it did. I do like to have friends with dogs come over to our place so that Lukka can have play dates but that is in a smaller more controled area. I guess if my dog was good at recall I would take her, that not being the case I will not go again.

Frenchy
January 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Never been to one, don't have them in my area. Not interested in going in one either. Because I don't really trust people and if they don't have control of their dogs, accidents can happen. My guys are pretty submissive so I don't like them to be around dogs (owners) I don't know. With all the fosters I get, they have plenty of friends :D :dog:

mummummum
January 25th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Generally, I think they are a good thing. But, I share many of the concerns expressed already. I am always mindful of who is there and what the dynamics are before I let anybody off leash. The offleash parks in downtown Toronto are part of general parkland, aren't fenced in, are very small and usually abut streets ~ which isn't the safest in my opinion.

Smiley14
January 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I voted that I like them. I definitely understand the concerns listed and can imagine that if Petey were ever attacked, I would be afraid to ever go back again. I've had very good experiences at mine, so we go there quite a bit. There are several in my area, but our favorite is a smaller one that is three acres, fully fenced, trees and cedar walking path, a big field, and a pond. This one is only open to members only. I pay a small annual fee and we have to have our membership card to get in, which probably makes a big difference since we pretty much know all the other dogs that play there.

I have been to other dog parks that don't have any membership fees as well and have had good luck with those as well. I just like this other one better because of the small size. Since Petey is a runner, it's easier for me to keep up with and find him in three acres instead of the heavily wooded 20+ acre ones. :) He comes back to find me once in a while, but here the expectation is that you keep up with your dog..yeah right! He's off running and making laps by the time I get in the door and get situated. :) I guess he doesn't have the best doggie manners that they want to see. :o But he's so friendly to people and dogs, no one seems to mind. We've been fortunate never to see any fights break out.

So based upon my good experiences, I love them. I'm sure my answer would be completely different though if they hadn't been!

x.l.r.8
January 25th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I've only jsut discovered our and the few times I've been the other owners have held me back, no-one wants to see there only child humped :laughing: but they sorted themselves out and he had a GREAT time, if he was attacked ONCE I wouldn't go back. But I guess it's all about the other owners rather than the park it's self.:shrug: I shouldn't need to go living on 25 acres but I know Riley needs the socialization so I go and stand in the cold watching him have fun.

Catzig
January 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Oh Byrd, where do you go? The one in Ajax is occupied by a pack of bullies! I heard there was a new one in Whitby or Oshawa, but never heard exactly where!

4thedogs
January 26th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I voted against, but I have to qualify it somewhat: I used to LOVE dog parks and went there all the time. However, I soon realized that the dog park near me is full of idiots who don't watch their dog properly or do stupid things as in the thread Aimster started. Now if I do go, I steer clear of the dumb people who stand around yapping while their dog is 2 fields away causing havoc. If we do go (which is rare now) we go to the back of the park where there is a nice series of walking trails and we can keep moving if we come across any idiots.

I would have to agree seeing as it is probably the same park and I have seen the same things.

Too many idiots there that don't watch their dogs. I go sometimes to the off leash parks but tend to go to the on leash parks more frequently. I would rather take my dogs to places where all the dogs are being watched closely while they play so that at the first sign of trouble someone can step in and stop it.
It doesn't matter how good your dog is, they will only put up with another fighting them so many times before they start doing it first

poodletalk
January 26th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I am for private dog parks, where people have to pay to maintain it and if their is enough complaints about someone the President of the dog park has the right to kick the person out.

I have a dog park like that in my area, I love it. I go at the same time, so I see the same people and dogs, we have a great time and it's makes me happy to see my dog interacting well with the other dogs.

My parents take their dogs to a public dog park in their area, they don't go at prime time so there's only a few dogs in the park and so far no problem.

I would never take my dogs to a park during prime time hours, too many dogs too many irresponsible people.

Golden Girls
January 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Dogs do not need other dogs to play with. They want human companionship, and would much rather play with the owner than another dog. Let me all know what you think.I strongly disagree. I think it's cruel to think their our pets and that they solely must live in our world. Their dogs and they need to socialize with their own probably more than you think.

If you don't like a certain dog park for whatever reason that's fine, but to isolate them from socializing :shrug: IMO that's just selfish

Rottielover
January 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM
you have a ball in your hand, and another dog, where would the dog go. Most of the time to you to play...It is not cruel. You do not have to be at a dog park to socialize your dog with other dogs.
That is what OB classes are for. Going for walks with friends that have dogs ( on leash ).
Too many people are irresponsible, and cause alot more harm than good in imprinting stages.
We all have our opinion, that is why it is an opinion. I have been to 3 different parks when harley was alot younger, and nothing different, still irresponsiblity.
I am hugely amazed that Harley is only dominant, and not dog aggressive.
Live and learn, not something I will ever do again with any of my dogs. OHHHH for so many reasons.

SARAH
January 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Sheba is not a player anyway, she gets nothing out of the dog park, just stays close to us all the time. If she is to run, we have to run for her to follow.
Dani will play with certain dogs, but not for long.

Last time we were there was with Harley, and that's fine, they get along (even if Dani is a little scared of Harley off leash on leash she's all about attacking him though), but the time before that, there was a man with a tiny Yorkie - not even his - that messed with every dog in there, bullying even a Newfoundlander. The worst of it was the guy just laughed and thought it was funny!

By now we know which dogs to avoid either by not going in if they are already there, or bu getting out fast if we see them approach, but once in a while there'll be a stranger, a new dog, and I don't feel like bringing a bleeding dog to the vet for repairs when it's not necessary.

Dani and Sheba have eachother, they have the other dogs in the family and friends' dogs to play with. We don't really need the extra hassle.

And most of the time, that dog park is muddy (or now, icy). Not all that interesting really.

Oh, yes: I voted against if you hadn't guessed :)

Golden Girls
January 26th, 2007, 09:37 AM
You asked me for my opinion - and that was mine :confused: I've met my share of irresponsible owners where I just avoid those ones. I'm certainly not going to limit their social existance because of them. Besides there is also alot of responsible and loving owners out there and I know my dogs absolutely loves playing with their own and vice versa. I couldn't imagine a dog being limited to just humans because "others" are irresponsible :shrug:

Golden Girls
January 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Dani will play with certain dogs, but not for long.
By now we know which dogs to avoid either by not going in if they are already there,Mine too will play with certain ones and not others and that will depend on whether or not we enter that day

SARAH
January 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Trouble with our dog park, is that it's so small, that if there's a "bad apple" in there it's impossible to avoid bumping into it.

4thedogs
January 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Hey guys
Trainers and I were having a really good discussion on this.
are you for or against them...
And explain please
I hate dog parks for many reason, one being is most, not all, have no control over their dogs in one.
Alot of people do not know how to read body languageof the dogs, which causes many outbreaks in negative behaviour.
Up until Harley I never really paid attention, but let me tell you, after him being attacked 2 times at one, enough is enough.
Dogs do not need other dogs to play with. They want human companionship, and would much rather play with the owner than another dog.
That is my opinion, I can go alot further but hand getting too sore.
Let me all know what you think.

What were your trainers opinions on dog parks and your opinion that they don't need other dogs to play with?

I agree that they don't need to go to dog parks but I don't agree that they don't need to play with other dogs.

Hunter's_owner
January 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Yeah it is like that here too, although I have yet to meet a bad apple at ours:shrug:

I just don't think that Cassie needs to be around other dogs (except Hunter). She really doesn't enjoy it, and would probably be afraid and trembling the whole time.

I think each dog is different and maybe not all dogs need to be around other dogs. I know that Cassie would be very content with just humans around her all the time. Hunter on the other hand loves to meet other dogs, almost too much:rolleyes:

~michelle~
January 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
i like them but i make snarky remarks to chris about all the dumb people...... esp since i live in an apartment we go as often as possible so the dogs can get a good run. there are many things i dont like, like the no toys rule people dont follow and hey throw a ball and or stick and get mad when my logan gets it first:shrug: they dont know your throwing it for your dog, and logans dominant so he thinks all of the toys are his toys.
but the dogs love it braxton likes finding dogs closer to his size to play with and aiden loves finding other huskys to play with (only really other huskys, hes a bit bias) and logan looks for other dogs to tussle with but they never want to tussel with hum and we dont know why:sad: they all avoid him and play with other puppies.

Rottielover
January 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM
The trainers do not like the dog parks for all above mentioned. And much more....Sickness, loss, numerous reasons to avoid dog parks.

Kristin7
January 26th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I voted I like them. I've only been to one, probably have been a member off and on for about 2-3 years. If my dog didn't love playing with other dogs so much or was at all aggressive I wouldn't go, but still think they are a good idea. Unless you have a lot of fenced in land of your own i'm not sure where they would have an opportunity to get so much exercise. Perhaps if you have more than one dog and they play, then that is a good substitute, or if you can run with them somewhere safe on a regular basis. I'm not all that fond of the park I go to, it is small and not really well maintained, it is often very muddy. Also, my dog was bitten last time we went, although a very minor one. That was the only incident we've ever had and I've not seen too many actual injuries in spite of the scraps some of them get into. Sometimes it sounds worse than it actually is.

I agree with all the comments about owners not supervising their dogs well. Some of them should not be in there. It also makes me mad when people bring small children (against the rules). That's just asking for trouble. I'm sure there are dogs that don't like playing with other dogs (and some people still bring them to the park, go figure), but my dog definitely prefers playing with dogs over people. He really doesn't care much for balls and his favorite game to play with me is chase in the backyard. Mostly he likes to get lovin' from me and play with animals (cats, dogs, squirrels).

TMac
January 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I already posted above, but to add to that...I've come to believe that socialization with other dogs is one of the best things you can do for your dog for mental and physical health. But the best way I can think to do this safely is to have a 'play-date' (as lame as that sounds) with responsible dog-owners you know (and who have dogs that get along with yours). Or, have your dog in a well-supervised, good daycare environment.

So - since this board has many many great and responsible dog owners, let me know if you're in Ottawa and want to organize something. The ideal dog for Toby to play with is one that doesn't play too rough, since he tends to take that as an affront (he's trying hard to fix that though!). :clown:

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
January 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Personally, I don't like them. I've taken Hamish there a few times and I was turned off by the irresponsible owners who allowed their dogs to hump other dogs (some which actually LAUGHED when another owner told them clearly their dog didn't like what the other dog was doing to it -- GRRR) and didn't clean up after them :( I prefer socialize my dogs in a controlled environment.

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I like dog parks but they have their downside too. I think the more you know dog behavior, the more you can see potential escalation before it gets ugly. The problem arises when the owners wait until their dog has had enough and is completely fed up or upset by another dog. That's too late. That's looking for trouble.

If you're a 100% alpha at home, you have to be 400% alpha at the park. You know? It takes a LOT more to get a dog's attention and to get a dog to recognize you as the leader when they're not only distracted by dogs, but also off leash in a HUGE area.

But you also have to know your own dog. If your dog can't handle it and gets into fights every time you go to the park, or if YOU can't handle your dog, DON'T go to a dog park.

Yes dogs need to be social, but I would not take the risk of bringing an out of control dog to a dog park just for a bit of dog-dog playtime. No way. And I wouldn't bring my dog in there if I wasn't sure either the people in there could control their dogs or I could. Like an 80lb woman walking in with an unruly mastiff- no way- I am so out of there.

The other thing is I'm relatively used to breaking up dog fights and without that, I doubt I would be as comfortable in dog parks as I am. The owners don't step up probably 80% of the time, so SOMEBODY has to, and since you love your baby, it's you. I'm lucky because growing up with an aggressive dog, I don't hesitate and my dogs have never been hurt as a result. Had I not been comfortable with it, I doubt they would have been able to go to the dog park for 3 years without a few vet trips. :shrug:

Golden Girls
January 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I guess it just boils down to you have to know your dogs and can predict with100% accuracy the possible consequences. I totally enjoy watching them run free and play with other dogs but at the same time I never let my guard down, I know their life depends on me :)

Mocha's mum
January 28th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I like the dog park. It's a great place for my furkid to run off his excess energy, and to socialize with other kids :D I do, however, get a little anxious around certain people and their dogs; particularly those who don't have 100% control over their animals. Luckily, Mocha is a lover, not a fighter, and listens to mum, so I haven't had a problem as of yet. :fingerscr