Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my worst fear came true. need prayers.

jessi76
January 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM
** bear w/ me, i'm typing through MAJOR tears **

Tucker was hit by a car today. he got off his long lead, and was stuck (he was out for less than 3 minutes). My fiance rushed him to the vet, where I met them....

after a ton of xrays we now know...

nothing is broken (amazing)
no internal bleeding or injuries (also stunned the vet)
a bump on the head
some scrapes on his paws & legs

and the BIG problem, his right side legs (front AND back) are not working. my vet says he's seen it in the front legs before, but not the back, it's very WEIRD. but xrayed everything, no breaks, nothing moved, nothing pressing on any nerves, no spinal damage, no neck damage (as far as he can tell from the xrays and from a thorough exam).

he has him on an IV, pain meds, and steroids. he's hoping to reduce the swelling and inflamation, and keep him comfortable. we HOPE this paralysis is temporary - from shock and swelling, but won't know for quite some time. He'll be at the vet for the next 12-24 hrs, pending improvement. If he deteriorates, we will be taking him for a neurologist consult. but we have decided to give it the initial 12-24hrs to wait for improvement. My vet is sure a neurologist would do the same, wait for a bit, then proceed w/ advanced testing if his condition worsens.

he is alert, he knows who we are (he cried and tried to get up to see me, and even wagged his tail). he's shakey from all the meds. he looks SO SAD.

the vet said the prognosis is really hard to determine at this point. he's seen dogs bounce back 100% after healing time, he's seen dogs have a limp forever, he's even amputated some legs from paralysis. we have no way of knowing the extent right now.

Please pray for my baby.... we really need all the good vibes we can muster up at this point.

Winston
January 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
My prayers are with you! This has always been a fear of mine! I can not even imagine how you feel!

Get well soon Tucker!

Cindy
:ca:

4thedogs
January 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
My prayers are with you and Tucker. I hope he comes out of this 100%.

dustybird
January 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I am so sorry :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

I never know what to say, I will be thinking about you guys and keeping my finger's/toe's crossed that things get better and it's just temporary.

jiorji
January 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
poor baby

hope you get healed fast Tucker :fingerscr :cloud9:

Rottielover
January 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
OMG I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope he recovers fully. My prayers are with him tonight, and till he gets better. I am so sorry:candle:

brandynva
January 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I am so sorry Jessi! I hope the paralysis clears up all on it's own. Our thoughts are with you guys. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

technodoll
January 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! this can't happen to tucker! and not to you! :grouphug: :grouphug: thanks for taking the time through your pain and your tears to keep us in the loop, it will open up the channel for TONS of healing vibes and prayers sent your way... tucker is in good hands right now and thank his guardian angels, whoever they are, that it's not worse than this... he'll be fiiiiine soon, just you see!!! just you see.

the beanies will pray for tucker's speedy recovery, OK?

:grouphug: :grouphug: :fingerscr :candle:

trippincherri
January 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Awww Jessi I feel awful for you guys. :sad:

Its frustrating not knowing whats wrong, if you knew you could be figuring out how to make him better. But just be patient and listen to the vet's advice, at least he is on pain meds and is resting now.

Good luck I hope he makes a speedy recovery, and thank goodness nothing is broken!! :grouphug:

heidiho
January 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
I couldnt imagine what you are feeling,my thoughts are with your baby,,,,:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :pray:

jessi76
January 25th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Thank you all so much, you have no idea what it means to me, it's everything right now.

I will call in a few hours for an update, and will keep you posted.

Dogastrophe
January 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Sorry to hear about Tucker. Hope all works out well. :goodvibes:

papillonmama
January 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Poor Tucker,

we all pray that Tucker recovers quickly.:pray:

Stacer
January 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Oh no! Poor Tucker. I truly hope that everything turns out for the best with his recovery, we will send healing vibes his way until he's as good as new:goodvibes: :pawprint: :goodvibes: :pawprint:

erykah1310
January 25th, 2007, 04:40 PM
OMG... :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
:pray: :fingerscr for Tucker to have a speedy recovery!:grouphug:

Prin
January 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'm so sorry, Jessi! :grouphug: :goodvibes: I'm sure everything will be fine. You already almost ruled out all the major baddies, like internal bleeding and broken bones. I think that's a great sign.

Boo got hit by a car going about 60km/h (almost 40 miles) and had shock, scrapes and super soreness but no broken things, and look at him now! He's good as new. :thumbs up

Tucker probably just has to wait for the adrenaline and shock to wear off.

He's in great hands and you got him there fast. All good things.

:grouphug: :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Shamrock
January 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Oh Jessi, I am so sorry! This is the catastrophe that every pet owner fears, and can happen SO quickly.

My thoughts and prayers go out to your dear Tucker:candle: and to you too. :grouphug:

chico2
January 25th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Jesse,what can I say:sad: a pet-owners worst nightmare..!
You and Tucker are part of our family and you can be sure you'll be in all our thoughts,with tons and tons of good vibes towards Tuckers speedy recovery:fingerscr :grouphug: to both of you:love:

Dog Dancer
January 25th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Jessi that's so sad to hear. :grouphug:

Our prayers and thoughts are going out to Tucker and you all. I'm with Prin, the major stuff is ruled out and with any luck it's shock and will wear off shortly.

Keep us posted Jessi when you can, I can only imagine how hard it is on you.
God speed on your recovery Tucker baby.:fingerscr

Byrd
January 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
:grouphug: :sad: :fingerscr :pray:

I never know what to say. Think positive.

:grouphug:

JanM
January 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM
What a horrid thing to happen! My prayers are with you and your dog for a complete, healthy healing!

cpietra16
January 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM
OMg, Not Tucker:sad: I hope he'll recover and now have fear of all cars. Speedy recover boy

jessi76
January 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I really can't possibly thank you all enough for the support. just saying "thanks" isn't enough. the positive vibes are working!!! the vet called a half hr ago with GOOD news and "so-so" news...

Tucker is able to walk! ok, so he's not exactly walking a straight line yet, but he can move. he has regained partial movement in his right front leg, and minor movement in his rear. so that in itself is beyond encouraging. The vet is hopeful this is temporary. he did say although it's going our way right now, things can always change, just to keep it in mind.

the so-so news is it looks to be more of a head injury. one of Tuck's eye's is "off". again, could be temporary, could be from the excessive meds, trauma, shock.... or injury.

at any rate, the fact that it looks as though he's not paralysed is the best news. I'll give them a call before the office hours close to be sure it's still looking positive. My vet said he'd be back in at 8am to re-evaluate.

thanks for the support, it's made this alot easier!

Hunter's_owner
January 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Oh No:sad: What a horrible thing to happen. I can't imagine what you are going through, but it is one of my biggest fears:sad:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Tucker for a sppedy recovery:pray:

:grouphug::goodvibes: :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
January 25th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Jessi, thanks for the update. I know where I'll be checking first thing tomorrow morning... Glad to hear it's looking a wee bit better for Tucker. More prayers and good thoughts on the way. Take care of yourself now too!

jesse's mommy
January 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
jessi, I'm so sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this. I hope Tucker continues to improve. We are sending lots of good vibes and prayers. :candle: :fingerscr :pray:

Frenchy
January 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM
It must had been so terrifying for you. I'm so sorry. But the way you describe Tucker's condition on your last post, makes me think he will be ok in 2-3 days. He just has to rest. :fingerscr :grouphug: and lot sof tlc,as I'm sure he will be getting ! Give him a big kiss from me.

Lukka'sma
January 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I hope for continued improvement for Tucker. A couple of day rest and maybe all will be well again.:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 25th, 2007, 08:42 PM
We have four hands with :fingerscr and the Pack has all it's :pawprint:s crossed (and that's a heap of good wishes, considering that's 24 paws!) for Tucker and you, Jessi. :grouphug: We're praying for continued improvement and a complete recovery... :fingerscr

jessi76
January 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm hoping all he needs is a bit of rest too. seems to be working so far. the possible head injury concerns me though... although what momma wouldn't be overly concerned? he's my baby, it makes me physically sick to see him sad & hurt.

and good god, I don't even want to imagine the screams coming from the vet's office this evening... thank goodness they've had basenji's in there before. I actually suggested that they knock him out for the evening, cause holy moly can that boy complain.

I'll post another update tomorrow evening. Of course, these things happen at the most inopportune times, when I have a more than full schedule tomorrow.

on the upside, the dog officer just called to check in, to make sure our boy is ok. and the young lady who hit him did give her info to us, asked us to give her an update. she also offered to help however she could w/ the vet bill. her own dog was hit a few wks ago... and yet she was still flying down the same road... unbelievable. (I know it was accidental, but c'mon, slow it down speedy)

Thanks again for the thoughts, prayers and paws! Tucker appreciates it as well, i'm sure.

mummummum
January 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM
:grouphug: :pawprint: :goodvibes: :grouphug: for a quick and complete recovery from all us here. And you try to get some rest too ~ my last grrrl ws hit by a car and I know how traumatic, nerve-wracking and guilt-paralyzing it can be.

Frenchy
January 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM
the so-so news is it looks to be more of a head injury. one of Tuck's eye's is "off". again, could be temporary, could be from the excessive meds, trauma, shock.... or injury.

Not too proud to say this but Daisy (:rip: ) was in a fight with another dog once. It wasn't serious, no puncture wound, but her eye was off , I guess I can say that, I tought she had a pinched nerve or something. It took about 24 hours and it all came back to normal. As for knock him out for the evening, he doesn't need it. I think with all the drama he had today, he will sleep like a baby !

Byrd
January 25th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Oh man, I hate it when people fly down the street!!!! :mad:

You need to make sure you guys get some sleep too, worrying is not going to do any good, I know, it's hard not to, I worry over the slightest little thing let alone something major like this. But, you should do something to relax so that you can sleep, no need to get exhausted and sick.

We hope he is feeling better soon. :fingerscr :pawprint:

dogcatharmony
January 25th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I am sending my hugs, good thoughts , and prayers for your family and Tucker.:grouphug:

phoenix
January 25th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Get well Tucker :pray: You sound so much better in your last post Jessi, sorry I didn't read this earlier; I'm sure he's on the road to recovery :grouphug: :goodvibes:

BusterBoo
January 25th, 2007, 09:37 PM
:thumbs up Tucker (and jessi)... hang in there.....good vibes and lots of prayers that tomorrow morning things are even MORE positive!

Harley, Buster and me send prayers :pray:

breeze
January 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I can't even imagine what you are going through. I will say a prayer tonight for everyone :pray:

TeriM
January 25th, 2007, 09:48 PM
So sorry to hear about Tucker. Glad to hear there is signs of improvement. Fingers and paws crossed for a full and fast recovery. Big hugs to Tucker and your family :grouphug: .

Peepmouse
January 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
:sad: I'm so sorry to hear about Tucker, Jessi...I know it's something we all dread for our darlings. From what you're describing, it sounds like he may have a little swelling in the brain, from the impact. A friend of mine had this happen to her dog, and once he had rested for a few days and the swelling went down he was back to his old self. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Tucker :pray: :fingerscr, and hopefully he'll be back home soon, with no problems.

technodoll
January 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM
still thinking about tucker... blowing him healing kissies from way over here... :pawprint:

Smiley14
January 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Oh Jessi, I am so very sorry to hear about Tucker! I started crying as soon as I read he had been hit by a car! I'm so GLAD to hear the initial prognosis is looking better and that so far, he is showing improvement. I will pray for him that he keeps on healing and for you too, as I know exactly what you're going through. It truly is the worst possible fear for our babies I think. I have nightmares about this happening. And to hear of it happening...it really does feel like a walking nightmare! I wish you a good night's rest tonight and lots more love for your baby next time you get to see him. :grouphug:

Skryker
January 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I just read this, jessi. :grouphug: :grouphug: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for you and Tucker. The updates sound really encouraging. I hope in the morning Tucker is much, much better. :fingerscr

x.l.r.8
January 25th, 2007, 11:55 PM
:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: from the family here, like the rest said, while they sleep, you sleep, inflamation is a funny thing and untill it's gone no-one can realy say anything. Wishing you all the best encouragement and one big :grouphug:

LynLyn
January 26th, 2007, 12:02 AM
oh jessi I'm so sorry to hear about tucker, i felt my heart drop down to my toes when i read your post. I have my fingers and bowser's paws crossed that tucker will be fine and bouncing around in no time.

joeysmama
January 26th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Oh poor Tucker !! And poor you ! :grouphug: for the both of you. I can only imagine how helpless you must feel when he looks at you and wants to be with you, and my heart goes out to you.

I'm sending prayers for a full recovery and good news from the doctor right away.

Sugar & Spice
January 26th, 2007, 12:40 AM
So sorry to hear this...I wish people would slow down! We hear so many stories of children being hit and pets where we live...you would think people got the point.

God Bless you and your family...and big hugs to Tucker.

CyberKitten
January 26th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwww!! I just read this- my heart and prayers go out to you and Tucker!!!! I hope the prognosis is good and he does well. Animals can be truly amazing after accidents and I am sure you are giving your baby the best care and TLC!!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

we3beagles
January 26th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I can't even let myself think about what you went through in those few seconds. Prayers and healing wishes are coming out to you from all of us. I am sure with a little TLC and rest he will be good as new, but maybe a little more cautious.:grouphug:

Puppyluv
January 26th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Jessi, My prayers are truly with you. I know what it's like to not know what's going on when your dog is at the vet. It is one of the worst feelings in the world, feeling so lost. Tucker WILL pull through this. :grouphug: :pray: :fingerscr :candle:

Scott_B
January 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Get well soon Tucker! :grouphug:

Golden Girls
January 26th, 2007, 08:57 AM
the fact that it looks as though he's not paralysed is the best news. My vet said he'd be back in at 8am to re-evaluate.Aww poor Tucker and you :grouphug: :fingerscr that the prognosis is good, sending :goodvibes: Tucker's way.

breeze
January 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Jessi, any news yet??:fingerscr

Mahealani770
January 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Jessi,
I was absolutely beside myself when I saw this post today. I am soooo sorry this happened to ALL of you. My prayers are with your family and sweet Tucker. Please keep us updated, although we know you have a busy schedule today. :grouphug: :candle: :pawprint: :fingerscr

technodoll
January 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM
anxiously waiting for the GOOD news.... :pray: :fingerscr :love:

~michelle~
January 26th, 2007, 11:54 AM
as i read your first post i had tears i connot imagine what you are going through. glad to hear you got some good news. thanks for keeping us posted theres a large crew here praying for tuckers well being.

technodoll
January 26th, 2007, 02:40 PM
is it time for an update yet? :o sorry for pestering... been thinking of tucker all day. i hope no news is good news :pray: :fingerscr

meb999
January 26th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'm so sorry....my thoughts are with you...I'm sure Tucker will pull out of this like the champ that he is :pray:

Inisfad
January 26th, 2007, 03:21 PM
My prayers are with you and Tucker. So sorry that you're going through this, but your news so far sounds encouraging, and I'm sure will keep going in this direction! Tucker sounds like a tough one!! I really hope that all turns out the very best.

Shamrock
January 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Continued thoughts and prayers for your Tucker, Jess.:goodvibes: :grouphug: :goodvibes: The news sounds encouraging so far.. My best wishes for his full recovery.. will be watching for an update on your sweet boy.:candle:

jessi76
January 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
thank you all for so many well wishes!

update....

8am, he was up in his kennel, standing. nurses took him out to do his business, which he did. he needed help walking w/ a carrying-sling.

3pm, we got in to visit him, and saw w/ our own eyes... I nearly died from the heartache. the sadness in his face was just too much, I did "keep it together" for Tucker's sake though. He did scramble to get to us, wagged his tail, and gave kisses.

his legs are not working right. his rear is the worst. his front and rear right legs sort of fold over at the wrist bones, and he can't put them back right. he falls down. his hind leg gives out. he wobbles. he cannot walk right. 1/2 the time he catches the paw correctly and can walk, other 1/2 he cannot.

this is MUCH improvement from yesterday though - yesterday he had no feeling, and could not move them AT ALL.

his left eye is swollen - it's literally bigger than his right eye. we think when he got hit, his brain jostled around in his skull. causing swelling, bruising and damage. his left side of the brain controls the right side of the body - so this makes sense given his current state.

he is still at the vets. they want to continue the agressive injections of cortisol to reduce the swelling and inflamation. Our vet said he's extremely impressed with the positive progess he's made in a short amount of time, and is hopeful with continued care at home, he will regain use of his legs. however, the vet has suggested that normally after 6 wks of healing, what you see is usually what you get, generally speaking.

so the night nurse will continue treatment tonight, and we will call in the morning for another update. hopefully he will be well enough to come home, where we can continue treatment along w/ snuggles, love, and encouragement.

we came home to a care package today - from the lady who hit him. she went to petco, and aparently had a break down in the store. she ended up buying tucker a smoked ham bone, a new toy, and an assortment of cookies. also a very thoughtful card asking for forgiveness... we called to give her an update earlier today.

we hope with another night of meds, and rest, that he will be a bit better tomorrow. thanks for the continued support and prayers!

technodoll
January 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
thank you for the update jessi... brought tears to my eyes.. :grouphug: more positive vibes for tucker and for you guys. in all of this, never thought to ask you about the person who hit tucker and how this happened, but am relieved to see it's someone who cares... :goodvibes: good vibes sent your way. he's gonna bounce back, you'll see! :love:

Byrd
January 26th, 2007, 06:45 PM
So happy to hear that there is improvement! If one night makes that much difference hopefully the second night will make much more improvement. :fingerscr

heidiho
January 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM
That is great news...:thumbs up :thumbs up I couldnt imagine how bad the lady must feel..So sad for everyone involved.

jessi76
January 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
yes, she's a wreck. she did stop, she was hysterical, she bought him a care package, she's apologised profusely, and has offered to pay or at least help with the vet costs. she's pretty much traumatized. I know it was an accident, and do appreciate her thoughtfulness. we will take her up on her offer to help out w/ the bills once we know what we're dealing with. right now, it's the last thing on my mind.

heidiho
January 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Well you are in my thoughts and prayers..:candle: :pray: :dog:

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Oh, poor Tucker! I really hope he gets better soon, Jessi. It's such a sad, scary situation, even reading about it.

I'm glad the woman is being supportive though. The one who hit Boo just took off. :rolleyes: It's really a special thing that she is being so responsible about it. She sounds great.:o

If doggy head traumas are anything like human ones, it can take a while before the symptoms go away, so I wouldn't get too discouraged if after 6 weeks, he's still not 100% neurologically. Have you spoken to a doggy neurologist yet?

I just so hope everything goes ok. :grouphug: My fingers are crossed so hard for you and Tucker.:fingerscr :fingerscr :pawprint: :pawprint:

Rottielover
January 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I am so happy that they are seeing even a little improvement. It gives you all hope. Here's hoping he comes home to momma tomorrow:candle: :grouphug: :fingerscr

OntarioGreys
January 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I am very sorry about Tucker, but pleased to hear he is improving, most brain injury involves some bruising but the big issue is fluid build up which applies pressure, which is what caused most of the problems as the swelling comes down the dog or person improves. My sons friends ended up in a serious car accident, sadly they were not were seatbelt and were ejected from the car in the collision where 3 died instantly from head trauma fractures necks one of the girls survived and spent a month in a coma in her case part of the skull has to be cut away to alleviate the pressure, she spend 3 months in hospital along with some rehab but came out physical fine other than some memory loss/gaps which improved also with time.
My point is the brain does have amazing ability to recover and readjust itself even in the case of extreme trauma, being Tucker is improving so soon after the accident is really super good news.

Hunter's_owner
January 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Good to hear that Tucker is improving. I have been thinking about him all day.

:fingerscr that he can go home with you tomorrow:pray:

Frenchy
January 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I a so glad to hear about Tucker's update. It's such a good sign that only 24 hours after the accident, he is already doing better, give him time. :fingerscr And it's nice the lady to bought him gifts. Will keep :fingerscr and :goodvibes: for you and Tucker.

cpietra16
January 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Good to hear that he's recovering so well:thumbs up

breeze
January 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM
so glad to here thing are looking up.

Smiley14
January 26th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Oh Jessi, I am so glad to hear the news! It sounds a bit mixed with good and bad, but the most important thing is that he is alive. Your post brought tears to my eyes just thinking about what you're going through right now. That is great news that he showed so much improvement overnight! And what a relief that the woman who hit him is being so good throughout all this. It seems like such a mixed emotion of frustration for her being so careless and sadness at how hard she is taking it. You are just an amazing person for the forgiveness you've shown to her.

More prayers and good thoughts for both you and Tucker tonight! Thank you so much for taking the time to post an update as well. I couldn't stop huggign Petey last night just thinking about what your family is going through right now.

mummummum
January 26th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Jessie ~ that's great news. He's doing probably far better than you or Iprobably would be doing as a "patient" who had just been walloped by several tons of metal. And OG is right, the brain is a stupendously amazing thing,able to re-create conections where none were before and able to regenerate itself in so many ways. :pawprint: :goodvibes:

chico2
January 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Jessi,hopefully Tucker will be well enough to come home today,I firmly believe familiar surroundings,with the people he loves will speed up recovery:fingerscr
:pray: that any brainswelling,will heal on it's own:fingerscr
Also kudos to the driver,I would be destroyed if I hit an animal and obviously this lady cares:pawprint:

Stacer
January 27th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Glad to hear that Tucker is slowly reccovering. Me and the kitties will keep sending our vibes for his continued improvement. He's got lots of people pulling for him here.

OG, I'm from Woodstock, I totally remember that accident, it was absolutely horrible, I'm sorry that your son lost his friends.

Toonces
January 27th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Jessi I just saw your post and I am so sorry to hear about Tucker :goodvibes: :goodvibes: coming your way, I hope he has a full recovery soon

Lissa
January 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Oh no Jessi - I am so very sorry! Poor Tucker!!! I really hope that there is more improvement today! I think its very encouraging that he's already improved under the vet's care!
If there is anything I can do, just ask! I will be thinking of you all and sending positive and healing thoughts!
:love:

technodoll
January 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
i'm hoping for a positive update soon... :fingerscr :pray:

happycats
January 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I am so sorry Jessi! I hope and pray all goes well for Tucker, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and Tucker!:fingerscr :pray: :pray:

Smiley14
January 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Hi Jessi! I've been thinking of you and Tucker all day today. I hope you're continuing to see improvement!

hazelrunpack
January 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I hope Tucker is better today, Jessi! The Pack still have all their paws crossed for him and we're all sending good vibes your way! :goodvibes:

chico2
January 28th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I know I've never met Tucker or Jessi,but I am nervous opening this thread,worried for them both:sad:
:pray: poor Tucker will be fine..
I can understand if Jessi does not get on the Forum too much,just hope we'll have some good news in the end:fingerscr

jessi76
January 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM
the support here is simply amazing - thank you for making this a bit easier!

lastest update:

Tucker came home yesterday, which is why I wasn't online. my boy needed his momma for the day/night. we picked him up around 2pm, and the vet staff had mixed emotions - happy to send him home, yet sad to see him go. they'd fallen in love w/ him.

the weekend vet told me she thinks his front leg has improved a bit more, but the rear is still knuckling... it's like he can't lift it to put his foot down right. he can feel the entire leg and paw though, he does respond when we touch it. he can move it, but can't walk on it yet. he's also on 5mg of prednisone - to ween off over the next 2 wks.

we got him a sling (a lift & aid) to help carry him when he needs to go out. he's just really tired and sore, so he's mostly just sleeping - on his bed, by a warm wood stove, getting pats, hugs, and kisses from his family.

my fiance even slept ON the dog bed w/ him last night, and I slept on the couch. our bedroom is upstairs, but our stairs are very steep, and since Tucker can't get up them now, we chose to stay with him.

his ear is slowly coming back- those beautiful prick ears... his right was flopped over from the accident - but it's coming back! it's going back up slowly.

we really think with time, his rear leg will come back. he may not be running any marathons, but will eventually walk down the road with me again. it's going to take lots of time, practice, and healing.

thank you all for the continued support!

Frenchy
January 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I'm so glad Tucker is back home with you,you must be so relieved! It's very sweet of your fiance to have slept beside him. I am sure Tucker will be back is his old self soon. You are taking great care of him :thumbs up

Dogastrophe
January 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Jess, great to hear that he's back home with you and doing better. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Toonces
January 28th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Glad to hear he is home and doing better, with all the tlc he is getting he sould have a speedy recovery:grouphug:

Stacer
January 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Tucker's probably just so glad to be home that I'm sure you'll see lots of improvement now that he's back in the place that he belongs.

Bushfire2000
January 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I'm so glad that Tucker has recovered so well and I hope he continues his great progress.

I'm a little late to the thread but I want to send my prayers and good wishes to you and Tucker. :pray: :goodvibes:

Lukka'sma
January 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear he is home.
I know you are spending all your time devoted to his needs. You and your fiance sound like you have prepared a wonderful spot for him to recuperate.
I hope he will be back to his ole self soon.
Lotts of love and kisses sent to Tucker

Skryker
January 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM
That is great news, Jessi! :grouphug: and healing :goodvibes: for Tucker! Sounds like you have an amazing vet clinic, too. :thumbs up for them, and I hope Tucker will continue to improve with lots of love from his mom and dad.

~michelle~
January 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM
great to hear tucker is home :thumbs up get well wishes tucker!

Hunter's_owner
January 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM
That is excellent news Jessi:) You must feel so relieved.

:pray: that he will be back to normal very soon

Byrd
January 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Good to know he's home and from the sounds of it improving by the day. :grouphug:

LynLyn
January 28th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I am so glad to hear that Tucker is home with you. Sending lots of love and healing vibes your way. I've never met him but please give him an extra special kiss between the eyes for me. It always seems to make Bowser feel better, maybe it'll do the same for Tucker *muah*

OntarioGreys
January 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear Tucker is home so soon with ongoing improvement

I know it is early yet but may want to check to see if dog physio therapy or dog rehab places near you with hydropools or underwater treadmills to help build back function in the leg if need be. I don't know where in the US you are but if in a dog racing state maybe contact the race track, and ask to talk to a dog trainer they may know of a place

technodoll
January 28th, 2007, 12:51 PM
oh so happy to read an update on tucker! sounds like he's in good hands and recovery is slow but sure... :lovestruck: :grouphug:

jessi76
January 28th, 2007, 01:29 PM
he's still a very sore and sad puppy dog, BUT, he did walk across the yard today (without the sling). his back leg varies between walking correctly and dragging toes. he seems to do better outside because of the traction, and we think because of the little snow we have. he has feeling, so i think he can feel the cold snow on his toes and realize his paw isn't right.

his neck muscles are still swollen a bit, so we're waiting for all the swelling to subside.

a quick trip outside to do his business really really wipes him out at this point. it's like running a marathon to him right now, so we're taking baby steps.

OG - you're right on the money about physical therapy. In fact, I planned to contact my trainer this week for any recommendations. (he's got alot of connections being a breeder, trainer, shower...) there is also a track here, Wonderland. It's not close to my home at all, but if need be, I will start there. thank you for the tip!!!! I want to give Tucker a few weeks to heal on his own, and if needed, that is the route we plan to take.

on the upside, my vet is fairly good, but even he admits he's just a "general" vet - he's not a neurologist, so he can't pin-point the problem. he was comfortable enough to take agressive action w/ meds, and thankfully, that course did result in positive progress. He was also BEYOND reasonable in his prices - the entire ordeal cost us under $400. xrays, exams, meds, 2 night stay, injections, pain meds, prescription prednisone. It was half of what I thought it'd cost.

for lissa - from my brief agility course, I seem to remember my trainer saying that dogs don't really realize where their back paws are. for example, when learning to walk through the ladder - the ladder laying flat on the ground, we were told to click/treat when the rear paws were between the rungs, to encourage the dog to be aware of their placement. I'm assuming this may play a part in Tucker's rear leg/paw problem. he can definately feel the paw - but isn't too concerned w/ it's placement. I realize this is not a "training" issue - however, I did encourage him today w/ treats when he did correct the paw on his own, and it seemed to encourage it. (perhaps I'm just looking for improvement though)

I will certainly pass along all the vibes and kisses to Tucker!

mummummum
January 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
If you can't find a therapy pool for dogs check with a large animal Vet in your area as you might be able to find one for horses.

jawert1
January 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
awww jessi, peaches, simon and i send tons of wags, hugs and kisses to Tucker and wishes for a speedy recovery. i'm glad between your first post and this last one he's improved so much! :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
January 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I'm so happy to hear that Tucker is home and feeling a bit better! That he has sensation in the foot is such good news! At least the nerves are still functioning--and maybe the rest of it is due in large part to soreness from the accident :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Lots of pats and kissies for Tucker :grouphug:

meb999
January 28th, 2007, 02:50 PM
thank you so much for keeping us updated on Tucker's progres...I've been htinking about him alot. I'm so glad he's at home and starting to heal. He'll heal so much faster with his loving family around him :grouphug:
Give him a big kiss from me...:goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Smiley14
January 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Tucker's home!!! Wahoo!!!!!!!! :highfive: I'm so relieved and happy for you both!!! Again, your love and care is so wonderful. He must be so happy to be back home with family again. What better care is there then that?! It sounds like there is still a lot of work ahead, but he seems up to the task! Poor baby just needs to sleep and heal for a while first. And that's great your trainer can hopefully help you find options for therapy. And what an amazing man your vet is even! I can't believe that price! Another blessing for you amidst all this!

I never knew that about a dog's back paws before. So interesting!

Thanks so much for the update!!!!! :grouphug:

rainbow
January 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Jessi, I just read your posts now and I have tears rolling down my cheeks. Poor Tucker :sad: :grouphug: but I am glad he is at home now and doing better. Fingers crossed for a complete recovery. :fingerscr :pray: :goodvibes:

Keep us updated. :fingerscr

Prin
January 28th, 2007, 10:30 PM
:highfive: that's good news! I hope he continues to make progress.:grouphug: :goodvibes: :fingerscr :fingerscr Thanks for the update.:)

Mocha's mum
January 28th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Oh jeez, I just read this entire thread. What an ordeal :eek:

At least the lady that hit Tucker has been super supportive. My first dog Mojo :rip: was hit on a gravel road, and the jack a** that did it never stopped :mad: It gives me a little more faith in humanity when I hear stories like yours.

On a positive note, it sounds like Tucker is on the up and up :thumbs up My little guy Mocha has a degenerative back disease, and when he had his last flare up, he was partially paralyzed in his rear legs. It took a good three months of medication and kennel rest (well, mommy's lap rest :laughing: ) before he was able to return to somewhat of a normal functioning doggy again. I carried him everywhere (luckily he only weighs 20 pounds!).

I'm happy to hear that Tucker has such a supportive and loving family to watch over him in his time of need. Mocha and I send our love and :goodvibes: . I'm sure that with a little time and :grouphug: , Tucker will be right as rain :D

TeriM
January 28th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Glad to hear Tucker is doing so much better. Fingers and paws crossed for continuing progress and a fast recovery :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: . Big hugs to you and your family for such a tough time :grouphug: .

Shamrock
January 29th, 2007, 02:26 AM
So good to read this update Jess! Wonderful news to know that your Tucker is home and making progress.

What an ordeal for all of you...:grouphug: It's great that the driver has been so supportive and caring.
Continued postive thoughts and prayers for your dear boy as he recovers:grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
January 29th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Jessi,we all know beeing in his home-environment and with his loving owners would make him fight to get better,always the best place to be,unless there is a very serious problem.
Poor Tucker must be really confused,not knowing why he can't walk properly:sad:but he will,in no time at all,I am sure:fingerscr
The therapy-pool sounds like a wonderful idea..
Kudos to your wonderful vet,sometimes in a crunch,your vets can surprise you:thumbs up

mastifflover
January 29th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I am so sorry to hear about Tuckers accident but, I am glad he is home with you. I bet that is making him feel better already. I have not been online too much so I am trying to catch up with all that is going on here. Tucker is in our thoughts, good thoughts coming your way.

Lissa
January 29th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I am so happy to hear that Tucker is still improving! I'm sure it takes a lot out of him right now but walking on his own is wonderful!:love:
I think TTouches might also help - I've watched 2 of her videos and took extensive notes. I will send them to you via email - I'm sure they are hard to follow without seeing them but I did try and take down every detail of the TTouches since its something I do with Dodger.
I do some warm up stretches with Dodger before agility which may be something to try with Tucker as he heals (will send that in an email too)!

for lissa - from my brief agility course, I seem to remember my trainer saying that dogs don't really realize where their back paws are. for example, when learning to walk through the ladder - the ladder laying flat on the ground, we were told to click/treat when the rear paws were between the rungs, to encourage the dog to be aware of their placement. I'm assuming this may play a part in Tucker's rear leg/paw problem. he can definately feel the paw - but isn't too concerned w/ it's placement. I realize this is not a "training" issue - however, I did encourage him today w/ treats when he did correct the paw on his own, and it seemed to encourage it. (perhaps I'm just looking for improvement though)

That is very true. Dogs don't have hind-end awareness - you have to do certain exercises (like the ladder) to help them realize that yes, their hind end can move independently from their front end! Good idea to get the clicker out and mark how his leg should be placed - its really encouraging that he fixed his paw and that he was willing to think when he's sore/tired!
When Tucker is stronger, teaching him to "back up" will help him be more aware of his hind end.

rainbow
January 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM
How's Tucker doing today? :fingerscr :grouphug:

jessi76
January 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
sorry i haven't been on much, I'm having another really rough week and it's only Tuesday... :yell:... I'm tellin ya, when it rains, it pours!

Tucker is slowly improving, or so it seems. he really does quite well outside - we have to keep him calm - he thinks he's ready to go back to chasing squirrels, and sticks... then he comes inside, on wood floors, and slips & slides a bit. we put an old area rug across the livingroom for him (it's a decor-disaster, but heck, as long as my boy can walk, I don't care).

Thanks for the continued thoughts for us!

PS - Lissa, thanks for emailing me that info, like I said, BAD week already, so I'll get to it as soon as I can. I looked briefly into TTouch... I will delve deeper into it later on, and probably even order a video for myself. many thanks for all the info!!

Lukka'sma
January 30th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Wow, Tucker has really made some remarkable improvement in a fairly short peroid of time. The power of love you have for each other, and his desire to please have most likely helped him to get where he is today. Continued well wishes

Hunter's_owner
January 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM
So good to hear. Thank goodness he keeps improving. The fact that he feels up to running and all is a very very good sign:pawprint:

Hopefully he will continue his improvement and be back to normal as if nothing happened in a very short time:pray:

hazelrunpack
January 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm glad to hear that Tucker is still improving, jessi! Now I just wish your week would get better! :grouphug: Hugs and pats to Tucker, too...

rainbow
January 30th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'm so happy to hear that Tucker is continuing to improve :thumbs up and hope he is soon back to 100% :fingerscr And, hugs to you for the crappy start to your week....hope it gets better. :grouphug:

Prin
January 30th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Good to hear that he's recovering. :fingerscr still for Mr Tucker.:goodvibes:

CyberKitten
January 30th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I am happy to hear such great news re Tucker - I hope he contiues to do well. Recovery is like that regarding the bad days - there always are a few, whether we have four paws or two feet. That's just the way it goes I think. All in all tho, it sounds great!!! Your vet also seems like a gem - I'd hang on to him!

I will send more good thoughts to Tucker (and your - it is tough on mommy too, from what I see daily, when a little one is sick) and hope for good news!!! :grouphug:

Peepmouse
January 31st, 2007, 12:36 AM
I've missed the last couple of days, so I was sooo happy to see that Tucker is back home with Mommy & Daddy!:D I bet he was happy to have both of you sleeping so close to him. I'm sure this will help in his recovery.
I'll continue to keep your family & tucker in my thoughts & prayers as he recovers a little more every day!:goodvibes: :grouphug: :pray: :fingerscr
Hopefully he'll make a full recovery!

Dog Dancer
February 1st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Jessi, any updates on Tucker?? We're all waiting for more good news.:fingerscr Hope he's continuing to improve, you and he are still in our thoughts and prayers.

technodoll
February 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I'd love an update on Tucker, as well... :o :fingerscr :pray:

HunterXHunter
February 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear that Tucker is recovering. Hope he'll be his regular self soon! :fingerscr :pray:

chico2
February 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
TD,This is what I mean,we don't hear anything for a couple of days or so and we kind of know Tucker,then we worry..:sad:
But Jessi said she'd had a bad week,maybe she's just too busy,hopefully Tucker is still improving.

rainbow
February 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
Fingers crossed for Tucker. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Prin
February 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
I hope she's just taking time with him away from us.;)

We do become so passionately involved with others' pets, don't we? :o :lovestruck:

Smiley14
February 2nd, 2007, 09:33 PM
So true! I can't stop thinking about Tucker either! I hope for an update soon and hope all is going well! :grouphug:

doggy lover
February 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
I haven't been around much sorry to hear about Tucker's accident. I will keep him in my thoughts and hope for a full recovery, it might take awile but as long as he is showing improvements that is a good thing. My Tucker is keeping his:pawprint:'s crossed for your Tucker.

jessi76
February 5th, 2007, 08:38 AM
sorry I haven't been able to post an update until now - last week was a rough one for me. (death in the family and medical issues and working 2 busy jobs, in addition to Tucker's accident)

Tucker is doing GREAT! he can now jump on the couch (getting down isn't so gracefull yet!), he can run outside (better traction), walking well, playing a bit, jumps up onto our bed to snuggle with us, and he still tries to jump on me when I come home from work - so he's on the mend! he seems to be getting better everyday.

he seems to still have some neck pain (when he turns his head a certain way) and between his toes on his right rear paw, is a bit raw still (all scraped up), but other than that, he's more stable, and walks MUCH better now.

we go for a vet checkup on the 9th.

Thanks all for the well wishes for me & my doggy - it really helped ALOT!

Lukka'sma
February 5th, 2007, 09:15 AM
So glad to hear that Tucker is getting back to business. Keep up the good work Tucker.

Toonces
February 5th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Thats great news, glad to hear he is improving.

Hunter's_owner
February 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Excellent news. So nice to hear that things keep gettning better for Tucker. Sorry for your busy week though:grouphug:

meb999
February 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
that's so great :thumbs up Thank you for keeping us updated on his progress :grouphug:

OntarioGreys
February 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Oh that is so fantastic to hear how well he is doing, and my codolences on your loss :candle:

breeze
February 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I am sooo happy :) that tucker is doing better each day, :goodvibes:

technodoll
February 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM
hurrah for tucker! :highfive: :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
February 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the update Jessi. Condolences on your loss, and I hope things settle down for you in all your work issues and such. Was soooo glad to hear that Tucker is doing so well. Looks like he's on the road to a full recovery. So good to hear that. Give him a hug for us, and a :grouphug: for you too.

chico2
February 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Jessi,sometimes bad events tend to gang up on you,but you will persevere as did Tucker,so glad he's recovering quickly,it could have been soooo much worse:dog:
Just keep thinking,tomorrow is another day and that day will be wonderful:thumbs up

Prin
February 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Yey for Tucker! I'm so glad he's doing better! :grouphug: :fingerscr :)

Skryker
February 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Glad to hear that Tucker is doing so well. Big hugs to all of you from this gang.

Shamrock
February 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Wonderful news about Tucker, Jess!:cloud9: So glad to hear this!

Sorry to hear of your recent family loss, you've certainly had a lot on your plate. My condolences to you.:grouphug:

Stacer
February 5th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Great news for Tucker! Glad to hear he's returning to his old self.

Smiley14
February 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Thank you so much for the update! I am so happy for Tucker!!! :highfive:

I am so sorry to hear about your loss and medical issues. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. :candle:

rainbow
February 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Glad to hear Tucker is doing so well. :highfive: Fingers crossed he will soon be back to normal. :fingerscr

Sorry to hear of your loss, :candle: medical problems and work load. :grouphug: Wow....when it rains, it pours. :sad: :grouphug:

Byrd
February 5th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Good to hear that he's doing so well. :D

Let's hope for sunny skies in the months to come. :fingerscr No more bad stuff!!!

Frenchy
February 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Glad for Tucker speedy recovery :thumbs up and I think you need one of these ; :grouphug:

angeldogs
February 6th, 2007, 04:31 AM
just seen the thread.sorry about Tucker.glad he is recovering.And sorry about your loss.

Copper'sMom
February 9th, 2007, 01:27 AM
OMG jessi76! I am so sorry to hear about Tucker!!!!:grouphug: Paws crossed and prayers are said in a full recovery for Tucker!:grouphug:

jiorji
February 9th, 2007, 01:39 AM
yay for Tucker!! speedy recovery little buddy:pawprint: :cloud9:

Byrd
February 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Hey, it's been more than a week since we've heard an update, how is he doing?

mindis12
February 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I just noticed this thread I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I feel your pain as I have been there in the past! I am very happy that you have the love you do for you little guy to be there for him. He's truly loved. I am happy to know that all the dog owners here were there for you in spirit as well. Nothing like having the true love to carry you through.

chico2
February 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Mindi12,many of us,who have only CATS also sympathize;) dog or cat,no difference,the pain is the same:cat: :dog:

jessi76
February 20th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Hey everyone... Tucker is almost good as new! he's pretty much back to normal now, he still slips and wobbles when he turns to fast or runs too fast on a slick surface (like our wood floors), but otherwise, he's fine. he's playing, jumping, going up/down stairs on his own, going for walks, etc...

We can notice he favors his right back leg on occassion, like when going down steep stairs, but for the most part, you can't tell he was hurt as bad as he was.

we're going for walks on the road now, to rebuild his muscles, and he's doing great. if it was his choice, we'd go for LONG walks, but I'm only allowing a little at a time for now. I don't want him to push too hard, too soon. so we walk in the yard, in the snow, and about halfway up the road for now.

Thanks for making this ordeal much easier with the overwhelming support from all pet lovers here. I'm convinced the good vibes worked wonders for my boy!

technodoll
February 20th, 2007, 09:43 AM
:goodvibes: yay for tucker! :goodvibes:

Spirit
February 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Goodness! Sorry if I'm repeating something already said, but I didn't read the whole thread (I skimmed it and didn't see any mention).

My dogs chiropractor was telling me last week about a dog she's treating who was involved in a car accident. He was in the car when it happened (wasn't hit by the car), but he was pretty injured (bounced around, I guess), and therapy is GREATLY helping. X-rays are needed in a case like this, but they can help when the vets can't.

My dog has some muscle memory in his neck as a result from being stuck and pulled out of the birth canal, and landing wrong on the weak leg when he was about 6 months old. The vets all wanted to do a bunch of tests (x-rays, ultrasounds, etc), give him an injection and meds for the limp, but I wasn't comfortable spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on "random tests" that might give me answers but won't fix the problem, so I went to a animal sports therapist/chiropracter. She pinpointed the problem almost immediately, and as it turns out, x-rays would have been a waste of money. She's worked miracles on my baby, and saved me hundreds of dollars on vet bills.

Something to think about anyway... If he has a compressed nerve, or even a muscle spasm (muscle memory can set in!), they can help (they can also teach you stretching exercises that will further with rehab).

Glad to hear he's recovering so quickly!!

Dog Dancer
February 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the update Jessi. So glad for all of you that Tucker's doing so well. Just so you know, my lab Halo slips on the tile floors all the time and she hasn't been hit by a car! So it sounds like he's on the right track. :highfive:

Frenchy
February 20th, 2007, 12:23 PM
woohoo Tucker ! :highfive:

Skryker
February 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/lachen/390.gifhooray for Tucker!!!!!!http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/lachen/390.gif

Hunter's_owner
February 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Thats great News:highfive:

Byrd
February 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM
:goodvibes: Good to hear! Thanks for the update.

rainbow
February 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Woo Hoo for Tucker :highfive: .....hopefully, he will be 100% in no time. :fingerscr