Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

want to show my cats!

kathryn
January 25th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Hello! I'm 15 and I moved to a new house about 8 months ago and there was a feral cat colony outback and i fell in love with a beautiful tuxedo cat. Well my mom finnaly let me bring her in but she turned out to be pregnant and just had a littler of kittens 5 weeks ago.

I'm really interested in showing my cats because she and her babies are very beautiful (im not bragging xD) and was wondering if anyone had any advice/websites/books.

they obviously are not purebreed but I want to enter them into the 'household cat' section because those cats don't have to be purebread

http://myspace-238.vo.llnwd.net/01488/83/22/1488302238_l.jpg

(her name is socks... shes a year old or so. her markings are perfect and she is a 100% perfect example of a Tuxedo Cat but is still unique!)

http://a891.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/33/l_c5521793fe62aeae80fb96bab021a0f2.jpg
(these are her 3 babies.. One is black and white spotted like a dalmation, one is identicle to her and one is a grey tuxedo cat)

I could really use some help :P I went to a cat show about a week ago and watched the judges and spent a fair amount of time there exploring and it seemed like something I could get into. My cat is very social and I raised her babies from birth and they are also very social.

Scott_B
January 25th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Find out when the next show is, then go and talk to the other owners who are showing in that class. They should be able to help you.

CyberKitten
January 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Unless you can produce your cat's pedigree and it is a show quality of a particular breed, the only way you can show cats is to sign them up in the household cats division. Even then, my advice is to attend a few cat shows - to get to know people and see how it works. You have to join the association of course -register your cats - and I do believe household cats can be shown neutered or unswayed. But I'd have to check. I have purebred show quality cats and do not show them if only because I did not want to breed them and often grand champions (tho I have two of those, - I inherited those 2, so I cannot take any credit for their many rosettes and double grand championships - they are Spyhynx) and my others are Siamese. My Siamese girl comes from an incredible line and cost me a small fortune but I was not seeking a show quality meezer when I adopted her - I just happened to fall in love with her.

Even household cats have to meet standards and if they don't, they do not qualify. I do not know what the standards are for household kitties- to me, they are all best of show and deserving of rosettes. I've yet to meet an ugly cat yet even tho some do think Sphynx kitties sometimes look well, different, lol I love them anyway!! I had them both spayed after their winning streak - and I did not want them to have any babies!!! There are enough cats who need homes, so called purebred and moggies alike so I wanted no part of that. I have fed enough orphaned kittens to ever go thru that or put my cats' health in danger.

Good luck!! Talk to the TICA a http://www.tica.org/html/english/home/ to find out how to find a cat show near you. It is not as easy as it looks and my friend who left me the Sphynx was like me a physician and she did it as a hobbyist and found it expensive! You have to travel to so many cities and so forth - and travelling with cats is an added adventure. :) Not to mention all the paperwork, supplies for the show - there are certain requirements (You need a large cage to keep your cats when they are not being judged and then you need extra carriers and all the other paraphernalia. I attended a few of them and that was enough for me. But many people do enjoy it - it is a culture all its own, lol

Good luck!! I am sure once you attend a few shows and find a mentor, you should be able to enter your cats - if they did come with papers and genealogical and pedigree info which seems unlikely if they were feral but one never knows) in a category. They look like Tuxies (Tuxedos) and Tuxies - tho cute- are not purebred, simply a way to ID a way cats look - so they prob would qualify - if they meet the standards - for the household cats division.

Rottielover
January 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM
I really think the best thing for momma cat right now is a healthy spay when it is time, then work from there.
I know some groups have altered classes, maybe she can join one of them. I do not know anything about cat showing, just doggies. LOL
But I have been to a few cat shows, and never seen house cats, just CH show purebreds

Stacer
January 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
They're adorable, are you keeping all of them for yourself? Good luck showing them!:thumbs up

~michelle~
January 25th, 2007, 10:02 AM
hey here is a link to the cat fanciers association and info on the household cat division
http://www.cfainc.org/shows/hhp.html

they must be spayed or neutered and NOT declawed
good luck

kathryn
January 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your help everyone!

I relize it can be expensive but I really want to give it a try.

Shes set to get spayed in about a month once her breast tissue drops or whatever. I forget exactly what the vet said :P

The next one in my area is a year away, so I figured I could spend a year working with my cats and training them and grooming them and getting used to crowds.

I'm keeping 2 out of the 3. My grandmoms cat died about a month ago and so she decided to take one of mine to keep her company. She only lives right around the corner so I figured I could go over there a few times a week to work with her.

I don't have a hobby so I think this is a good thing for me to do.

i love my cats and I think it would be a good way to bond with her.

And I talked to a person at the TICA show and got a flyer and in the household division they can be fixed/not fixed and don't have to be purebreed so that's perfect for me.

Stacer
January 25th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds like you've got the beginnings of a good plan for showing your cats.

Maya
January 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I really think the best thing for momma cat right now is a healthy spay when it is time, then work from there.I agree. If I remember correctly you also had an un-neutered male in the house, not sure if that is still the case. I just wanted to remind you that cats can become pregnant almost immediately afer they give birth, as little as 48hrs. I hope you have been able to arrange adoption of the kittens and be sure they get their shots and spay/neutering done when ready.:fingerscr Please don't consider breeding cats as a hobby, it's not very admirable as there are far to many orphans put to sleep every year. Good luck.

[edit]Sorry, I read over you post kind of fast and didn't notice they will have homes.:thumbs up

kathryn
January 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
It's no problem :)

We had my male kitten maxwell fixed before she gave birth just for that reason :P

I figure spending a year training the kittens and working with Socks will work out. Socks is very obiedient so it shouldn't be that hard to train her to stand still and stuff.

I'm possibly keeping the whole litter now though. Theres a stray cat outside that really needs a home but doesn't get along with other cats so I might give her to my grandmother instead and keep my litter of kittens.

I'm heading to Barnes and Nobles this week anyone know of a good guide that can help me get started with the training?

And also when should I give the kittens their first bath? I want them to get used to being bathed and groomed so when I start showing them they will be comfortable with being brushed and clipped and stuff.

OH and one more question... those tent cage thingys... where can I get em? And uhhh... are they really expensive? I mean I'd need probly a medium sized one.

Socks is a small cat... and her babies seem to be taking after her..

mummummum
January 25th, 2007, 09:13 PM
No advice to give...just want to compliment you on being a very caring, responsible and thoughtful young woman.

CyberKitten
January 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Sounds like you have done some research and good for you for spaying them! Make sure whatever you do to get a mentor- maybe the person you mentioned earlier. I found the show "world" to be a culture all its own and it is helpful to have someone help you navigate at first. Attend some away from home to see how they work - you need to experience the process before entering - sort of like skating and having as coach before entering the Olympics (maybe not the best metaphor but the only one that comes to mind, lol)

For people who enjoy it, it can become a lifetime adventure. I wish you well!

kathryn
January 27th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Thanks everyone! I know ill probly be lost at first but I really want to give it a shot... It will give me something to do and I love spending time with my cats so it's a win/win. Maybe someday one of my cats will bring home a pretty ribbon :P