Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll of the night! Night Owl or Early Bird?

Prin
January 25th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Ok, so we know a lot of us have trouble sleeping at least sometimes, but I'm wondering...

If you could choose your sleeping pattern, when would it be? Like if you didn't have to get up early for work when would you go to sleep?

TeriM
January 25th, 2007, 01:14 AM
My ideal sleep pattern is head to bed around midnight, read for a bit, sleep around 1:00 am and wake up around 9:30 :lovestruck: .

jiorji
January 25th, 2007, 01:47 AM
you know i tried being an early bird, but to me that means being up at 4 am :D

i once tried to getup early to do my errands before class and i went grocery shopping and in my morning daze i broke some eggs at the store :sad:

Skryker
January 25th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Night owl, for sure! Left to my own devices, my internal clock sets itself to bedtime around 4am, get up around 11am. :shrug: But it's no big deal to be up all night and then get up around 3-ish. When I worked the graveyard shift, I'd sleep from 10am to 4 or 5pm. Worked OK.

But, ever since the onset of the major anxiety stuff, I don't seem to have a set sleep schedule anymore. :mad: I get 2 or 3 days of almost total insomnia, followed by 2 days of almost solid sleep-then a few weeks of sleep a few hours, awake a few hours. In the last few years, I haven't seen many movies the whole way through 'cause I fall asleep half way. :o Sometimes I think it's because the only time I completely relax is on the weekends when my guy is home (he works graveyard now), so I zonk on the couch as soon as I relax.

Of course, first the puppy housetraining and now the occasional "Mom, I gotta go! Now!!" that happens at 3am don't help either.....

dustybird
January 25th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I wish I was an early bird but I am a night owl. I have a seasonal job so may to nov I am up 6-7 and at to bed aroud 10-12. The winter when ever I can fall asleep usually around 4-5 and I wish I could get up before noon but no matter how hard I try it always ends up being between 2-4. I feel like a dirt bag lately. I'd like to find a winter job but our city just doesn't appear big enough for temp jobs....sign its the only way I can have a normal schedule. We even got a new bed this year and even though it's super comfy even more so when the microfleece sheets are on it, it still doesn't tempt me enough.

Scott_B
January 25th, 2007, 06:42 AM
In my younger years it was late late nights, then sleep the day away. Now I'm in bed by 10 as I'm up at 530. If i didnt have to work, 930 sounds like a nice time to get up, however i find sleeping past 8 hard.

Hunter's_owner
January 25th, 2007, 06:45 AM
I voted before I read the question:o Slow morning for me I think:D

My ideal is get to bed around 1 or so and get up at 10.

I used to be a real night owl, and still on the weekends I sometimes sleep til 11 or 12:o

SARAH
January 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Bedtime 9:30-10 pm, up around 5 am, cardio training, breakfast, some PC and then weights for an hour from 9 till 10 am. Then my day really gets going.

Rottielover
January 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I too answered the poll before reading:laughing: If I had a choice, laate to bed, late to rise. BUT I do not have a choice having a toddler, and a dog, being alone, so I polled, early bed, early to rise

SARAH
January 25th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Hi Rottielover :)

Glad to see someone's up this morning! It's lonely on this forum before 9 pm!

breeze
January 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM
The ideal time would be not so early to bed and not so early to rise. but we all know that won't happen,:) we can dream can't we?? :pray:

Stacer
January 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I chose not so early to bed, not so early to rise. I feel like I don't want to totally waste the daylight, so an ideal time for me to wake up would be between 8-9am.

I'm definitely not a morning person, but out of necessity for my job I have to be up at 5:30am. I can't stand it, I spend all morning fighting off sleep. I usually go to bed around 11:00pm, I've tried to go to bed earlier so that I'll feel better in the morning, but I end up laying there awake, my magic hour is 11.

badger
January 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Alas, I am both a night owl and an early riser. Did you know that in medieval England people would go to sleep after dark and then get up at midnight-one o'clock and work for two or three hours (presumably by candle or firelight or lantern) and then go back to bed for a few hours? I only learned this recently - it was called 'le petit jour' - the little day.

Prin
January 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM
That's why I didn't put any times in the poll... Early and late are very subjective.. To me, early is "single digit time"....:D I have always had the hardest time getting up early and going to bed early. I was born at 11AM so maybe that has something to do with it.:D

My dad let me stay up late once when I was around 6 and I outlasted him.

I've just never woken up easily and I end up really productive at the wee hours of the night for some reason.:o

I think it's "abnormal" in society today to be a night owl. Everybody always says "Just reprogram yourself"... Doesn't work if you're a real night owl, IMO... After a month of early morning shifts, I'm just as spaced out and unfunctional as the first day.:shrug:

breeze
January 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I got very use to doing the things i could not get done (while the kids were awake )at night when everyone was in bed. It just seemed easier for me i.e. wash floors do laundry and just have time to myself it was soooo quite. But when it came to moring i was soo tired I just wanted to sleep.

Stacer
January 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Don't tell my boss, but sometimes I call in sick when I really can't get up in the morning. Today is an example of that. I'm a horrible person. But I needs me sleep!

Prin
January 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
LOL Stacer! Been there! :highfive: Happy Hookey day!:evil:

technodoll
January 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
If i listened to my body clock? bed around midnight, up at 9am.... my best sleeping hours are always between 4 and 10am, has been this way all my life. which makes getting up at 7am for school (then) and work (now) a major PITA. :o

papillonmama
January 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
If I could choose I would do catnaps through the day and night. I hate having to wake up at certain times, or to go to sleep just so I can wake up when someone else wants me to be there. If it were up to me, I would just take catnaps. When I was younger without responsibilities, that was how I lived, but it's much easier to do that when you live in a big city, because you can go grocery shopping in the middle of the night if you want, or to the drugstore, or do whatever. You'd be surprised who you meet at the grocery store at 3 am. It's very strange. So yeah, 3, 4 hour naps 2 or 3 times a day/night would be my ideal.

heidiho
January 25th, 2007, 01:55 PM
For sure early bird,i love going to sleep early and getting up by 6:00 am on weekdays,and weekends like to be up by 7:30 feel guilty if i sleep past 8:00 am on the weekedns..go to bed no later then 9:30 cause it takes at least a half hour of my mind racing before i can go to sleep....

trippincherri
January 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Ummm now I feel spoilt because I work from home and I do sleep till 9 or 10am lol. Not everyday though sometimes I have errands to run early in the morning.:D
I just find that I am more productive at night, I do get up in the morning and vacuum my whole house (yes everyday) then feed all pets and tidy up (I have OCD in a bad way), but at night I want to be out visiting friends or watching a movie, not asleep at 10!!
And it's hard because my man is up and out of the house for work by 7 o'clock, and then he gets home at 7:30pm so all he wants to do is shower eat and sleep. So he's boring lol, but he works hard so I let him be. :p
And in the summer it is worse because it stays daylight longer and then I am out in my yard digging in my flowerbeds or playing with the dogs till midnight.

Last year I was fertilizing our lawn at 11:00pm!! :rolleyes: I was not tired and figured it was a good time to do it, since the dogs would be inside for the night. :laughing:

brandynva
January 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I am a nightowl at heart, but having kids it's impossible to sleep in at all. They wake me up even when I ask them not to. :sad: I like to go to bed around 12-1am and get up about 8:30 - 9am. That would be my ideal sleeping schedule. NO matter how early I go to bed the night before I still have a hard time getting up in the mornings. :yuck:

Prin
January 25th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Too bad you couldn't have had me, Brandy. Even as a kid I was a super late riser.. My dad would blast music in the house to get us up and even that didn't work for me.:o

Catzig
January 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Me too, Badger. I'm a night owl, a light sleeper and an early riser. Fortunately, I'm working from home right now so the fur kids and I all have a snooze in the afternoon.

Frenchy
January 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I would looove to stay up until 1-2 am and get up around 9 am. I can't sleep past 8h00 on week ends, but I like to take my time for breakfast and coffee. I like to stay in my pj until 11 am when it's possible.