Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where's the beef?!

barkley21
January 24th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm so excited and happy to say that we have been giving Barkley small chunks of raw stewing beef with his commercial raw turkey meals and he has been doing great! Poops have been perfect through and through, each and every time! For those of you who don't remember, Barkley has had a hard time having nice stools with anything other than raw chicken and turkey ever since we switched him to raw almost 6 months ago. I recently decided to try adding raw beef again in small doses to increase the meat content in his diet because the commercial raw has so much bone, and he has been doing fabulously on it :highfive: We started off adding only one or two small chunks and now we're up to 6 and things are still running smoothly...or should I say firmly :p Yay for red meat....finally!

x.l.r.8
January 24th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Go Barkley:dog: it's so encouraging to add something and know for sure if it agree's without having to second guess 30 other ingredients. Slow and steady is the ONLY way to go, this is from someone who thought a meal of liver was OK and paid the price, I thought maybe it was the beef, but then I found out it was owner related. I'm going the other way, i have Riley going at a pork shoulder bone because of all the sales reciently he has had hardly any bone for a good few days, time to throw one his way. It's kept him quiet for over an hour.

technodoll
January 24th, 2007, 10:10 PM
:highfive: wooohooo hurrah! go barkley! this is such great news, viola i know you must be thrilled. Slow and steady is the way to GO!! and pretty soon you'll be commercial-patty free and your wallet will thank you, LOL!

Scott_B
January 24th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Excellent news! :highfive:

barkley21
January 25th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks everyone :)
Okay, now that we're on the right track, I'm scared of ruining it. How long do you think I should keep giving him small portions of beef before he can handle a beefy meal all on its own (ie with no commercial raw mixed in)? I don't want to jeopardize the progress we've made by rushing it.

Scott_B
January 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I would increase it every few days by a bit while decreasing the premade. There is no big rush, so plan to make the swap say over a 2/3 week period. At the first sign of problems, cut back to the previous amount and stay there until hes good again. Then increase once more.