Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wasnt' planning on this...

wjranch
January 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
But, somehow, someway for some reason. I've been introduced to a very nice woman who does training and rescue. A friend had put us in touch with each other.... now I have a new addition to the family. She's a young Dobie bitch...very cute, very sweet. She has been rehab for roughly 3 months and is still in very thin condition. I have to pump up her calories to get some wieght on her fairly quickly. THe poor thing is barely bones :( I'm including a body shot so you can get an idea of her condition.
Any (helpful) suggestions would be appreciated... I'm pretty sure I'm competent enough to appropriatly handle the living situation (some of you are aware of my pride and joy Dillinger being intact still) I don't need to be slammed for rehoming a bitch... I need some quality ideas on putting wieght on an underwieght, high metabolism breed... Thanks :)

Spirit
January 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Puppy food, and lots of it.

Once the weight comes back on, look for an adult food that's high in kilocalories per cup, or use a high protien food like Innova Evo until she's at a healthy weight. Then maintain it accordingly (adjust the daily portions).

Frenchy
January 24th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I hope you're not saying you have an uneutered male and unspayed female at your house ! Please say this is not the case......

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Has she been checked for parasites? Some types of worms are hard to diagnose--you need to check the stool at the right time to see the evidence.

Scott_B
January 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Satin balls have been used by others to put weight on a pup. I would feed a quality kibble like Canidae or Evo, and give these as well. Or feed a raw diet.

SATIN BALLS
This recipe is one for putting weight on an animal quickly, as some use it for putting a couple extra pounds on a show animal prior to the big day, or an animal that may have been ill and needs a weight gain program. It has also been reported that this recipe will help with some forms of hair loss, such as when your dog(s) blow their coat, to keep the coat healthy and shiny. This recipe is entended to be fed raw.

10# hamburger meat
1 jar wheat germ
1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
10 eggs
10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
A pinch of salt
1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
(You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf....put into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed. It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat. You can use it every day when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea. It can be fed alone or with kibble.

Lukka'sma
January 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Good luck with her, she is a beautiful dog and will only become even more so as time goes on.

phoenix
January 24th, 2007, 04:05 PM
she is beautiful and shiny; i'd like to see her face though!

i have a skinny girl boxer- she is impossible to get weight on, and has more muscles than you can imagine. Good food and exercise are important so muscle is built (not fat). If she is young, it may just take time and quality food for her to build up her body. Good luck with her.

Prin
January 24th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Good luck with her! :) I think it's great that you took her in. I know from all you did with your dobieman, you'll do your absolute best for her. I hope she gets healthy enough for a spay soon! :fingerscr

If she's not growing anymore, maybe Evo or Barking at the Moon would help put some weight on her, too.:shrug:

How are your other two doing? Any new pics of them? :)

angeldogs
January 25th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Jag was like that when we got him and he tested positive for gardia.and we feed him steak.chicken.mixed with his kibble till he got to his healthy weight.

wjranch
February 25th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hi again All;
Thanks for the info and suggestions... However, The puppy had to be returned to her initial rescuer. Aside from her physical condition it turned out she has some serious fear aggression with little kids.
To keep this as short as possible, I know I could have worked with her, and helped her along.... but, with our living situation that was just not a likely senario. She needed someone who could give her more then I am capable of right now.
The lady I got her from, has taken her back and will work with her for roughly the next year and help her over these issues.

I'm saddened, but, feel we made the right choice.

Prin
February 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
:grouphug: Sounds like the right choice. Dogs who aren't good with kids are such a risk when there are kids around.

I hope she finds her forever home soon.:grouphug: I also hope she wasn't too affected by the moving around...:o