Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Playmate or disaster?

Dobb
January 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM
We have a 18 month spayed shih zu and are going to get a 12 month spayed shih zu for a playmate,,TODAY. We don't want ours to think that we are trying to replace her, just that she loves to play with other dogs and we think it will be good for her when home alone. Is another female a wise choice? Neither dog has had pups so they are equal that way. We are meeting with the other dog today,[3and 1/2 hr drive] so if it goes alright we will be bringing her home. What should we look for in the first meeting to give us an insight into the future? The other dog is over protective of their child and nips at the kids. I guess we should be able to break this habit in time though. I thought that with all the foster parents on here I could get some good advice and tips to ensure a ' happy ever after ending'. Thanks Dobb

Catzig
January 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Sometimes two females can be a difficult match ... Good luck, I really hope this works for you. Keep us posted.

brandynva
January 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'm not an expert but since you asked I'll throw my :2cents: in. Anybody can feel free to come along and correct me if needed.

From what I heard having 2 of the same gender dogs together isn't always a good mix. When we got Sasha, our female collie, we already had Mileva. There was a lot of tension between the two of them for a while, whereas they got along fine with my male.

The other thing that concerns me is the fact that you are getting this dog for your other dog. Not for you. I'm not trying to suggest that you are not good doggie parents. However, getting a dog just for a playmate for your other dog is probably not a good idea. I think when you add a new animal, it should be because you want it as a pet, not as a pet for your pet. Make sense? I would think about WHY you want this dog and how it will be included in your household before making a decision. Your second dog will need to have just as much love and attention as your first dog. I hope if you do decide to bring the second dog home, it'll work out. If you need some advice on acclimating two dogs feel free to post! And most important, remember that YOU are the alpha dog and it's important for your dog(s) to know that. That will go a long way to smoothing things over and making them feel less competitive with each other. Good luck! :thumbs up

Edited to add: I would be careful leaving them alone together until you know for sure they will get along. Even my two who have been together for a long time still get snippy with each other. It doesn't take much, a wrong look or walking by at teh wrong time, to get feelings hurt...

jessi76
January 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM
The other thing that concerns me is the fact that you are getting this dog for your other dog. Not for you. I'm not trying to suggest that you are not good doggie parents. However, getting a dog just for a playmate for your other dog is probably not a good idea. I think when you add a new animal, it should be because you want it as a pet, not as a pet for your pet. Make sense? I would think about WHY you want this dog and how it will be included in your household before making a decision.

I totally agree with this.

We have a 18 month spayed shih zu and are going to get a 12 month spayed shih zu for a playmate,,TODAY. We don't want ours to think that we are trying to replace her, just that she loves to play with other dogs and we think it will be good for her when home alone. Is another female a wise choice?

you really didn't give us much time to offer advice since you state you are going TODAY.

Dobb
January 24th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Sorry about the short notice,,we have been looking for a month but the right dog didn't come up until we got a call last nite. I'm a little concerned over the replies, I was hoping to see more of a positve response. I know our dog gets along great with other dogs, no jealously or dominance behaviour at all. So it is mostly up to the other dog to make our decision. Perhaps I didn't express myself well in the first post,,we definitly want another dog and will share the love equally among the two. Our dog is more like a baby than a dog as our kids are grown and on there own now. We figure that having two babies would be better for when we are working. Hopefully this is going to work out,,Thanks for the advice and I'll let ya all know how we make out when we get back. Get some pics on here too IF we get Princess.
Later Dobb

Shaykeija
January 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I have 2 female dogs. They get along great. Sometimes Missie gets a little snarly with Tyra but we stop it right away. She gets a time out. We got Tyra when Sophie died. Missie just howled the whole time. Missie loves Tyra now and we call them bum buddies cause they are always together. Tyra is a Shih Tzu and Missie is a Terri-poo.

Dobb
January 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Well , after a three hr drive we got there,,Kaya and Princess started playing and jumping like they knew each other for life. Not a bit of aggression from neither.At that point we knew she was coming home with us. With in a hour on the way back both dogs were asleep on my lap. Since we got home they have played with each other's toys and even had a nap together, it's going to work out great. Here's some of our first pics of them.
Dobb

brandynva
January 24th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Aww that's so good! I hope you didn't feel like I was attacking you because I wasn't in any way! I think the more the merrier when it comes to animals. hehe I would still caution on leaving them alone for any length of time for a little while. Even if you seperate with a baby gate or something where they can see and sniff, but not necessarily physically interact. Good luck and we look forward to more pictures! :thumbs up

~michelle~
January 24th, 2007, 08:10 PM
you know your dogs personality better than anyone so youll be the best judge, know that there will be fights at some point in time but it can be ok. i have 3 males and it is fine. for the first 2 mos of a new one coming along they fight over who has rights to what but then it smooths over

OntarioGreys
January 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Congratulations!!!!! I have 2 males 2 females and have had multiple dogs for some time now, it is not about gender but about matching personality and I personally prefering picking different dominance levels when dogs are the same sex, or juvenile and older, problem among females is when you put 2 want to be alpha types together, then conflicts can occurs.

My advice is to acknowledge you first dog as the alpha dog for now, which means she gets her food dish set down first, she is the first to recieve treats, and first to recieve pets and cuddling. This continues unless the other dog get pushy wanting attention first, or start growling to keep your dog back from you, that would mean she is the more dominant one( it is possible she is more dominate in nature) based on some of the behaviour in her other home then she would have to be fed first, petted etc, with dogs social status is important, they work status out amongst themselves but we as the alpha leader have to acknowlege their differences in status otherwise fighting and disciplining can occur among themselves. Your current girl could be the more submissive of the 2 it is not a bad thing, their is less responsibility being the lower ranking dog, the alpha position is a job and means work, even though she end up having to wait a bit for your attention but she will accept her position happily unfortunate this bothers some owners when a new dog is adopted in the home as they want to make their original dog feel more important and this is what leads to trouble as the newer dog will think the existing dog is trying to challenge it social status and rank so there will punish it to teach it their place in the pack which can make life very uncomfortable for the original dog. It is also the reason why so many people have trouble putting same sexed dogs together. When you have a male and female both an be alphas, but when there are 2 or more of the same sex only 1 of the dogs can be alpha.

jessi76
January 24th, 2007, 09:51 PM
oh that's wonderful to hear! I'm so happy it went so well for you! congrats on the new addition... your pups are BOTH adorable!

Prin
January 25th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Congrats on the new addition! I agree that female/female relationships are iffy, but if they work, they work. :D

We'll need way more pics when they settle in. :)

Shaykeija
January 25th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Yup...Bum buddies.:lovestruck: I just love shih tzu's.

TeriM
January 25th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Congrats on the new addition :stork-baby: . Looking forward to many pics.

Tommysmom
January 25th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Congratulations! They look pretty comfy together already :) .

Dobb
January 25th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Well ,our first nite was not too bad,,Pr incess was kept in a crate at nite at her former parents, so she wasn't too comfortable sleeping in bed with us and Kaya. She kept whining and wanting down,, so I brought her bed up and put it beside ours,,still whining and walking around the other rooms. Funny,, when she got out of sight, Kaya would jump off the bed and lead her back into our room. When I woke up this AM the both of them was curled up at the bottom of the bed. Both dogs were eating each others food at the same time side by side so I don't think that is going to be a problem. I really appreciate all the advice and realize that the situation could be alot worse. I think we really lucked out with these two dogs, we couldn't be happier!! The challenge today will be trying to walk them both at the same time,,that should be a tangled up mess!! Seems funny,,Kaya usually gets up when I get up,, but both are still in bed with the wife. I'll post some more pics when I take some.
Later Dobb

Rottielover
January 25th, 2007, 08:19 AM
congrats on the rescue, I am so glad that it all worked out

SARAH
January 25th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Why didn't I see this before? We have two females, and it worked out great from the start. Glad yours are friends already too!

Dobb
January 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Took them for a walk this AM,,they strutted along side by side like they were together for life. Buddy of mine got a 8 week old Great Dane as well yesterday. I brought him down to play with ours for awhile,,,He weighs more at 8 weeks as both of mine,,lol. Here's a pic of the three of them.
Dobb

BusterBoo
January 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM
What a cute picture!!! The Dane looks a little itimidated :laughing:

I have two males (one tzu, one tzu/bichon) and there are still days when they sort out their differences in a "noisy" way, but for the most part, they are friends!

PetFriendly
January 25th, 2007, 02:02 PM
When I get my second dog in the spring (hopefully in the spring) I hope its as good of a match as what you got :fingerscr :thumbs up

Dobb
January 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah we really lucked out,,we all needed a nap after our walk.
Dobb

Frenchy
January 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Congratulations!!!!! I have 2 males 2 females and have had multiple dogs for some time now, it is not about gender but about matching personality

Exactly , and congratulation !

Frenchy
January 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM
When I get my second dog in the spring (hopefully in the spring) I hope its as good of a match as what you got :fingerscr :thumbs up

The important thing is to get the dogs to meet first. It would be easier to deal with a rescue in foster home, they can tell you what kind of dogs they have (dominant/submissive) and will ask for everyone (including your dog) to meet the new member prior to adoption.

mummummum
January 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Congratulations on :stork-baby: your new addition ! From the looks of that last picture Dobb, you'll be earning your naps the hard way from now on!

Dobb
January 26th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Second nite went great,,Princess jumped in between us and went right to sleep, Kaya was in her usual spot on my pillow with legs on both side of my head. Both were curled up together at the bottom of the bed this AM. May have to upsize to a king size bed or put the wife in another room,lol.
Later Dobb

MIA
January 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Congrats!!!! I have two female dobes and two male MinPins all is well in our home! I am glad they have each other. I got a second dobe for Mocha!!! So for the person who said you should be getting the dog for you, obviously you did but also for a buddy!

Enjoy them, they are adorable!

Catzig
January 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Dobb, congratulations and thanks for the update. That's great news! Princess and Kaya sound like a great pair.

Dobb
January 27th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Another pic of my little girls, everything is still going great, had her in to meet the staff at the vets yesterday,,made an appt. for Kaya to get a haircut, going to get her cut shorter as we have to brush her three or four times a day now. With them playing and rolling around so much her coat just don't look good. Much easier for Mom and Dad also.lol When you get tired of looking at pics of my little girls let me know and I'll try not to post as many,lol Dobb

mummummum
January 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Well Dobb ~ it's official. You're in love !!

Dobb
January 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Here's a pic of them waiting to go for a drive

chico2
January 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Aww Dobbs,keep the pics coming,the two of them are adorable and I am really glad it worked out.
It does not seem like Kaya(the new dog??)needed any adjusting-period at all,is not missing her other family,which is great.
Sometimes little kids can be hard on small dogs/cats..:sad: and usually the dog gets the blame.
I definetly think you should get a King Size bed,we have one,since we share the bed with 3 cats:D

Dobb
January 29th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Kaya is the black and white one,,Princess is the new dog. Adapting real well, although she seems quite nervous when someone comes in,,growls alittle and stays away from them. We're working on her and hopefully she will get over it. I asked her if she liked it here and this is what she did!!

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Very cute! I love that smile! :D