Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adding another dog!

x.l.r.8
January 24th, 2007, 12:28 AM
We have been toying with the idea for a while, once we realized Riley was realy my dog, and my wife wants a 'mummy's girl', so I looked and looked but nothing, we are after a 'different' dog, about small/medium and young enough to be tought easy but old enough to be a little more stable. We don't want a JRT, and a yorkie was definatly a no no, (wifes last dog from childhood was a yorkie and she wants something different, and a JRT was what ended he dog ownership with the yorkie, so can't blame her there, and yes it was probably the owner but she wouldn't be able to look at it without remembering her Pepsi) So something small but not pug, we liked a poodle/shih tzu and also a cockapoo but they already had loving owners and theft seemed a bit OTT as we know there will be the right one somewhere. I turned this lady up today
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7704337
and althought the description sounds good, I know nothing of chow chow (except of it's written on the side of a bag of dog food it's probably crap) if she even is one, but if she is, what are the key characteristics? and can anyone see anything else in her. We love her as she looks different (something that can only come from being a mutt), and she hits the age, weight thing my wife set, I want to find out more as I got her hopes up last week but the useless rescue near us took so long to get back the foster's found her a place a week after I rang. So I'm trying to fly solo until we go and meet her with Riley. The fosters said she is showing some domanence to the large big dogs she is staying with but I think it's probably because she is scared and overwhelmed, one to one she is fine but when the 4 are together things go wrong, and here she will have Riley to protect her :dog: also anyone have any expierience of adding a second dog so soon, we have had Riley for only 5 months and we have trained hard with him, learned a lot but I don't want to make more work than we can handle. Any advice welcome (and no stealing this lovely lady from under us ;) :D

Prin
January 24th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Looks like a sweetie, but I doubt there's chow in there... Aren't chows way bigger than 29lbs?

I'd say you need a test trial with her before adopting her though, to be sure that she's a good match for your doggy.

jessi76
January 24th, 2007, 08:52 AM
yeah, chows are usually med-large. 45-70lbs. Here's some info on Chows from the AKC:

http://www.akc.org/breeds/chow_chow/

the little lady you posted is quite adorable though! good luck!

brandynva
January 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
We got our GSD mix when she was 8 weeks old. She is my husband's dog. I too wanted my own. So we got Roscoe at 8 weeks when Mileva was 6 months. It worked out good because they were young enough to grow up together. It sounds like your guys are a little older, but I'm sure it would be good. The dog on petfinder is adorable. Oh, and for what it's worth, they said my GSD mix is mixed with chow. I don't see a bit of chow in her at all. She also definetly isn't pure GSD either. She doesn't have the typical slouched hips and build, but she doesn't have the build of chow either...

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/brandynva/IMG_0010.jpg

x.l.r.8
January 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I'm so bad at telling breeds. I just see 'pretty dog'. The guy opposite me has a featured garden and has tours, however you ask him what the plants are and he says "pretty yellow flower, pretty red flower" I guess I'm like that with dogs, and being mixed breeds makes it so much harder. I looked at the link and it doesn't really enlighten me much, but thanks for trying :thumbs up I have to ring tomorrow to set up a play date next week, the rescue is the same as the one Riley came from and I keep in regular contact with the fosters so I don't have to worry about going throught all the paperwork. I'm just reminising those few short months ago when we brought Riley home and how we had to try and get everything done, buying 2 of everything just in case. I have loads more pics and they changed the ones on the site, I'm guessing the tail and he legs with the tounge markings is why they think Chow, but again I see 'pretty dog'. She may not be 'the one' but at least she will get a nice play day with lots of treats. :dog: :fingerscr

Frenchy
January 24th, 2007, 09:45 PM
She has the tail of a chow chow. She looks like a mini chow ! Very cute. I hope it works out for her and your family :fingerscr

jessi76
January 24th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'm so bad at telling breeds. I just see 'pretty dog'. The guy opposite me has a featured garden and has tours, however you ask him what the plants are and he says "pretty yellow flower, pretty red flower" I guess I'm like that with dogs, and being mixed breeds makes it so much harder.

lol.... that made me laugh... I do that too alot! good luck w/ the meet & greet! post an update of how it goes when you can

Shelties3
January 25th, 2007, 01:55 AM
We have 3 shelties. Our first, Duncan, was all by himself, an only, spoiled dog until he was 2. Then we added our second dog, Lexi, and they played and played and played. I found this was a good age, cause we got lots and lots of training into Duncan, and he was well trained, and obedience trialing by the time we got Lexi. This also worked out well cause even though we still had to work with Duncan, we had more time to work training with Lexi, since Duncan just needed shaping and proofing work. We added Mila 8 months later, and kind of wished we had waited a bit, as she kind of didn't get the training right away that she needed.

Make sure it is a good time of year to get the dog too. That you are willing to go outside in the snow, and cold to potty, when the dog won't potty.

The dog you have found on petfinder is awfully cute! Did you check out a sheltie as a second dog? They get along great with other dogs, tend to be a "one person" but family dog. They train extremely easily, they are smaller, but not too small (in the 20-25lb range, 15" at the shoulder). They have no more hair to contain than a Chow, as Chow's matt easily, Shelties don't. It is a breed worth looking into. As well, I am sure there are a lot of shelties on Petfinder. I found lots when I was looking for my mother-in-law in Virginia!

They are entertaining.......calm lap dogs when you are calm, shadows/velcro dogs, but love to go where you go, run and play, go for walks, but you have to work with them with training. They need something to keep their little brains working, or they can find themselves things to keep them occupied!

Just a thought!

x.l.r.8
January 25th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Shelties3, it's a good thought! I thought they were bigger than that!, were only used to what we have been exposed to so far. We think Riley is around 14-16 months and so far with training he just needs to continue for consistancy, he picks up with advanced in the summer and it would be great to get another dog to his standard so they can be together. While beautiful looking dogs, they are not what we had envisioned for us, however is one comes up with a strong sheltie mix, we would not be put of as much as we would have been a few hours ago, for us it's all about the looks and if the description sounds good we put that as a keeper. We are now thinking now may not be a good time as my family are coming in a week to stay here for a couple and it could be very disruptive and not a good time to devote to a new companion. Were going to make the trip, spoil Missy for a while and see what they get on like, I think that it's going to have to click for all of us if we go ahead. Then we will decide what to do, be it wait for a few weeks and see if she is still around or make a deal to sort something out. I'll keep everyone informed (there goes my new digital Camera..........again:D , if I keep spending at this rate I'll end up with a disposable :shrug: ) It would be so much easier jsut to have a baby, at least we wouldn't have to try and make a choice, but then agian apparantly keeping them in a crate when you go out is not acceptable (hmmmm, I wonder at what age you can feed babies RAW :D ). My poor wife is scared now as she realy doesnot want to go and see a dog and leave it behind (we were real lucky with Riley) but I keep telling her, she's safe where she is and where ever she goes from there it will be a good home, and to add a twist to the tale, she was rescued from the same high kill pound as Riley but not by the same people, they took two very different journeys to arrive at the same place, we rely on fate providing so here she is working her merry magic.

x.l.r.8
January 25th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Well we decided to move ahead, and pop down today as fate yet again reared it;s head, we got to the new foster home where she was moved to this morning, and we went and had a look, SHE's A DOLL, a compleate mummy's girl and needs some serious feeding. So we said we would like to introduce Riley to her and see how they get on, well it took the lady's breath away, 5 months ago she was asked to bring a dog back from Ohio on her way through, guess who. She remembers him because he sat behind her with his paws on her shoulder and his nose in her ear all the way back. She also thought this dog was going to be a handful and she saw how well controlled he was she fell in love all over again, she said it made it so much easier to hand over Missy knowing what kind of parents we are to Riley. So we have her for the moment, were still testing the water as we have some serious spending to do, spaying first, then some form of ID, snow shoes, a jacket, new beds, (she has her new Roots collar and lead), the worms have got to go, and probably needs some form of flea treatment. Even if it doesn't work out she is going to be spoilt :cloud9: :lovestruck: . But once riley realises Humping is not what she wants (we think she took some kicks to her rear as she is protective) she lets him lick her all over and they are constantly kissing, sharing treats is easy, and she has taken to Rileys diet easily, but she needs some building up and filling out, we just gave her a good meal to see how she went, unsure of what she usually ate we put Canadie down, a chicken neck and some Pork cut a little smaller than we would normally, she passed on the kibble straight away, licked the chicken neck and scoffed the pork down, Riley got herrings for the first time so he was happy as well. She's resting on her new Mummy's lap soaking up the attention, we would get pictures but with the adoption fee's and the vet bills she is going to have to go through just on spaying, flea, worming and ID were going to be even more broke than we started out :shrug: Oh and the training fee's! how come I can't find $350 for a new camera but I can drop $1000 by getting one of those looks from both the Girls, my wife is not helping me out here, she making all sorts of promises :highfive: and who's gonna refuse that

Dobb
January 26th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Congrats on the new addition, hope everything works out great. The thing about your wife and promises,,must be a female trait cause mine does it too. lol We just got another dog also.
Later Dobb

x.l.r.8
January 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Congrats to you :highfive: , last night it didn't matter what the promise was, I was so tired and the two decided to play guess the alpha, eventually Missy went to the bedroom sitting room and slept in the sofa, Riley jsut wanted to play and she was getting tired of the pestering and him blocking her all the time, this morning they are playing in the snow and sh'e getting her harness, and the Vets at 3pm cha-ching! he's calmed down a bit but he needs to learn.............fast! :p :D

Prin
January 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Ooo congrats!!! I hope everything goes well!

mummummum
January 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I never would have guessed that was a full-grown dog XLR8 ~ she has such a puppy look. And maybe it's just me but I see either Golden or GSD and irish Setter in there. I don't see Chow (but there again ~ whaddu-I-know?) other than her build. Congratulations ~ she's a lovely little kermuttskie!

x.l.r.8
January 27th, 2007, 12:46 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/Missy.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/missy1.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/missy2.jpg
They keep swapping the pics on petfinder, these were some more. I'm looking right now at digital camera's so I can shoot loads of pics. EVERYONE has fallen in love with her, the vet, the receptionist, the pet store owner, the guy coming in to buy food, the lady at the park, everyone, Riley is feeling a little left out but I'm still there to spoil him. :dog: :dog:

Prin
January 27th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I love her eyes! They're so bright! What a cutie. :lovestruck:

mummummum
January 27th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I see the Chow build more defined ~ certainly in the curled back tail and big chest tuck. Definitely Shepherd in there though.

Kisses to Riley for helping the transition !!!

x.l.r.8
January 28th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Well this was the first night (seems a long time ago already, as you can see all attention is on Missy. She's about to become very spoilt. Sorry about the crap quailty, phone cam adn no light means I need to buy something real soon, but Missy's new coat and spaying, boots, harness came first :yell: :D
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/Image77.jpg