Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

proud of WHAT?!

technodoll
January 23rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
(rant coming!) :yell:

OK on my akita forum, this guy writes "greatest achievement ever", and what is he proud of? his dog pooping on command, with 99% accuracy, after months of training (his dog is 3 years old). OMG. he got on my nerves before but give me a BREAK, sargeant commando! i asked if he wanted batteries and a remote control for his robo-dog? :confused: he trains that dog to practically breathe on command, it's just so creepy and wrong... no wonder he lives alone at his age, prolly no woman could stand to be around such a control freak :yuck:

poor dog. i wonder if he has to ask permission to fart.

wdawson
January 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
WHAT...:eek: ...your dogs don't poop on command.

just kidding:D

technodoll
January 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
hell NO! :eek: :D

to me, it is the last shred of "freedom" that our live-in-the-house, domesticated dogs have... their bodily functions. even then, they can only eliminate when WE decide to give them a bathroom break, now if on top of that we have to decide #1 or #2 for them, and when, and pressure them to perform... wow. :frustrated:

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Um... Boo, Jemma and even Lily when she was here all go on command...:o They go otherwise, but sometimes, when they're dilly dallying, they need a little reminder.:o

technodoll
January 23rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
but do you consider that their "greatest achievement ever"? and did you spend months training them for that one "task"? :o

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Well, for Boo yes... Because he wouldn't go and then people would come out of their homes and scream at us... So the faster he went, the less likely I'd get screamed at...:D

My greatest achievement with them is-
Boo: being able to slap his a** to my heart's content without getting bitten :lovestruck:
Jemma: hmmm... she's just great. :o I haven't achieved much with her that she didn't do on her own...

technodoll
January 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
i guess it's different because i know you let your dogs live, and just be dogs... albeit very well-trained and well-mannered ones. :D you're not obsessed with having a soldier-dog... this guy, trust me, is just a control freak and i feel sorry for his boy :shrug:

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Oh, yeah, I've met one of those.

"He likes to be trained!" he says, while he shocks him into submission with a long range shock collar. :sad:

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
(rant coming!) poor dog. i wonder if he has to ask permission to fart.

I wish that Roscoe asked permission to fart. :yuck: He can clear a room in 1.6 seconds... :D

technodoll
January 23rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
sigh. yep... some people!

although this guy wouldn't use harsh methods (at least i don't think so...) he's been paying a trainer to come to his house every week for like two years! for basics like heel, sit, down, recall, stay... "poop"! :clown: he doesn't show, do obedience, socialize with other dog owners, etc - but he brings his dog out in public. nothing wrong with training, on the contrary, but... it's just an OCD with some folks :shrug:

Mocha's mum
January 23rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
You know what, I remember seeing something on a show (I think it was Oprah or something) where people would train their dog to poop on command. They lit a match, blew it out and let it cool, and then inserted it into the dog's you-know-where :yuck: Apparently, the sulphur stimulated the bowel. And then you could get your dog to poop when and where you wanted them to.

I can't believe that there are actually people out there that are such control freaks that they have to tell their dog to go. Do they sit at work/home and say to themselves "ooooh, can't go pee until 11. And then it's a poop at 1". Jeez....:rolleyes:

Rottielover
January 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I agree about a control freak, but with some dogs it is a must. If I did not do all the training with Harley, I would be in alot of trouble. But the difference with me is I let him be a dog and have fun doing the training. But in some scenerios I need him to be a robott, lol. Or things can mean trouble.
As for pooping on command, I have taught all my dogs a hurry up command, so they know not to dilly dally.

Tommysmom
January 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I only WISH I could get Tommy to poop... or hurry up... on command! My neighbours think I'm a fool because the snowbanks are high enough that they can't see Tommy when we're out, they just see me walking around saying 'go poop, go poop, go poop'!!:laughing:

Winston
January 24th, 2007, 07:36 AM
My dog will poop or pee on command! He was taught that during obediance training....You know it is really a good idea if your dog is finicky about the location of where he poops! Some dogs will only poop in their backyard and that could be difficult if you take them to the cottage or something! Some dogs will try to hold it until they are back on familiar ground! I dont use the command every time he does outside! But is a great tool to have on a cold winter day!

Cindy

technodoll
January 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM
i'll admit i use the "go pee" command on maika when we're going back in after a run or a play and i want to make sure she's empty, so i don't have to take her down again an hour later. for dakotah, he's old enough to either empty his bladder or hold it in, tough luck! for the pooop, my goodness, how am i supposed to know if they NEED to poop or not? you know? their feeding schedules are very rough, they never eat the same thing two meals in a row, and it really depends on their activity level, how much water they drink, a bunch of different factors. All i know is... they're smart, they know "outside is my chance to do my business, i better do what i need to do or else". works for us :goodvibes:

Frenchy
January 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Mine pee on command but I let them poo when they want to !!! :shrug:

mummummum
January 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Wow, a private trainer at say $50 an hour every week for a year...that's $2600. Let's see now... at say 2 poops per day, each poop-on-command cost $3.56 in training dollars. Hmmmm...I can think of lots of other ways to spend my money. Luckily my grrrls always pooped "on command" ( I trained them early with The Poo-Poo song :D )

Inisfad
January 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Hmmm. Would be interested to know how many of us can poop on command. Does poop on command mean that you walk and feed your dog the same time every day so it becomes a routine? Or is this some kind of parlor trick, like when you have people over, you say, Rover, sit! good boy, roll over! good boy, Poop! oh, what a wonderful dog.....

mummummum
January 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
While I'm sure routine has something to do with the presence of poop in the errr...waiting room, for us it's a "parlour trick" (which I only use when I am really late or desperately ill).

Mahealani770
January 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Wow..getting a dog to poop on command sounds like heaven...especially when I can't even get Nicky to stop Pi$$in in the damn house! :frustrated:

But seriously..."Sergeant Commando" needs help :mad:

technodoll
January 24th, 2007, 12:53 PM
LOL yes sargeant commando... he's posted a few videos of his dog doing all his tricks and while I commend him on the good training and manners and all, it's oddly creepy... just "too much" if you know what i mean? it's not like he's practicing for agility, or obedience trials, or anything... he's just a scary-looking bachelor who likes his "robo-dog" on display, IMO. and yes he has his dog on a VERY strict routine, military style. brrrrrrr.

EdwinBird
January 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen any need to have my Rio poop on command (mainly because if he has to go, he goes fast - almost as soon as we get out the door. My friends sometimes think it's funny that he'll pee, come back in side and then if I go out again, even within 5 minutes, he'll pee right away - no matter what, as soon as we go outside he pees!).

My roommate's dog, though, she could use that command - sometimes she's out there in "poop-mode" for ten minutes. That doesn't sound like a lot of time, and she certainly spends a good amount of time outside, but sometimes it's very inconvenient (for example, if I wake up late for work and only have a few minutes to let them outside - of course, another solution would be for me not to wake up late!). Sometimes when I'm watching her run back and forth over a 2 meter space for five minutes, I just wander what on earth she's thinking.

Scott_B
January 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Rosco will go on command. I say do business and he'll pee or poo. Its nice when you go anywhere in the car you can pull over, get him to do business, then get on your way. Or going out and your in a rush, take em, he does his thing and you can leave without worrying. But i agree, its no huge acheivement. Its rather simple really. lol

erykah1310
January 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I just say "hurry up" but they can crap and pee when ever they feel like it:shrug: No one is ever going to "allow" me to do my buisness, I'll do it when i friggen feel like it... this guy sounds like a complete moron and yes a creepy one at that.... I mean who cares if your dog ****s on command?
I remember a while back (5 years or so ago) I was walking around the town i lived in at the time and there was this moron, YELLING at his dog... " I said IN THE BUCKET" i mean this dude was freaking out.... he INSISTED his dog crapped in a bucket:frustrated: give me a break.... some people just are spun:rolleyes:

EdwinBird
January 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM
In a bucket? Obviously that would make cleaning the mess up easier, but... It seems so strange that someone would get a dog and act upset when they figure out they might have to "pick it up" sometimes (granted, I don't know if that's what the bucket-man was concerned about).

erykah1310
January 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I couldnt tell ya why he wanted the dog to crap in a bucket so bad:shrug:
Some people really need their heads examined... seriously:frustrated: I felt so bad for the dog, he was just looking up at him as if to say " what??? why??" :sad:

technodoll
January 27th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I couldnt tell ya why he wanted the dog to crap in a bucket so bad

maybe he was collecting for fertilizer? :confused: :D

LL1
January 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I know many people who do the poop on command thing,by all kinds of terms,doesn't bother me really,no different than a sit or down stay command imo.

I have heard about the match trick,generally in show circles so they do not go in the ring.We had a Min Pin in an obedience class I went to years ago,and every single class he would do a poop mid class. :laughing: