Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cut On Forehead

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Willow must have gotten beaten up today at Day Care. When I brought her home there is a small cut on her head just behing her eye, nothing major, just a scrape, like a crater almost. The fur is stuck together with dry blood, but it is not bleeding. It doesn't require stitches. I put peroxide on it with a cotton ball to clean it up a bit, and it really fuzzed up and the cotton ball was pretty dirty when I pulled it away. I couldn't do much to separate the fur because she does not enjoy the ministrations and I have no one to hold her for me.

So, what I'm asking is, other than peroxide, what should I be doing for it?

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
If you have an aloe plant, cut a spike and put the gel on the wound.

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Shoot, I don't, but I should get one.... I keep meaning to really.

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Okay, ( and yes, get an aloe) if the wound is still oozy (wet looking), take a plaster / strong bandaid or some strong tape and pull the skin together before you put on the plaaster/ bandaid/tape and let the wound heal itself.

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
It's dry, very dry, nice big scab, and crusty hair! :yuck:

I will get the aloe tomorrow if I can find one. Should I keep doing the peroxide though just to make sure it doesn't get infected. More than likely it was done with a tooth. It wasn't mentioned to me when I picked her up and by the time I noticed it was closed, I e-mailed the day care manager, I just want to know how it happened and if I should be worried about infection (not going to complain or cause crap, this stuff happens when you get dogs together). Should I soak it to get rid of the dry blood in the hairs to separate them so I can care for it better? It's not like she can lick it and take care of it herself.

Crap, you wouldn't know I work in the medical field would you? :confused:

Maya
January 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Sometimes aloe works so well that it heals the skin on top over too fast trapping infection inside, so be very sure the wound is clean if you do use it.

jiorji
January 23rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
well Byrd a good mom would go and smack the "kid" who beat up your "kid" lol
but I'm sure Willow still has that smiley on her face:D :dog:

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
When she's awake, yeah :dog: , she's soooo tired after playing all day!

LOL She was so busy she probably didn't even know it happened. Not a good spot for infection though, so close to the eye, and with all the fizz with the peroxide I'm a wee bit worried about that happening.

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
I used a wet washcloth and got all the dry blood off so that I could see what was there. She was really good, almost like she liked the feel of it, just sat and stared straight ahead the whole time.

Anyway, this is what I found, I was pretty shocked to see how bad it actually was, it goes kinda deep and I can close it up like a little mouth. Does anyone know what could have caused it? Now that I see it I don't think it was a bite.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2226/imgp42114ou.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1606/imgp42124ny.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

TeriM
January 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Aww, poor Willow. Looks like a puncture wound to me. I personally use mostly just warm water for irrigating the injury. With puncture wounds you should dab on some polysporin type stuff as they are quite prone to infection.

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I was going to let it dry up a bit after it's bath and then put some stuff I got from the doctor for an infected cut that I had. She can't lick it, so that will help a lot.... or hinder.

I'm so happy it wasn't an inch more to the right/left/forward.... ah, in her eyeball!

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
EEK!! Definitely looks like a little bite. I'd say a bigger dog though. I'd call tomorrow and say wth happened yesterday? :o

I'd just clean and rinse it well with warm water...:o

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
I e-mailed the daycare manager and asked if anything was mentioned about her getting in a fight. I may call. I don't want to raise a ruckus as this was a special circumstance free day (we go to Caledonia every Tuesday night for flyball and today they had to go at 2 and I work until 4 so Willow was going without me - the owner of the facility was going to work her - so in order for her to go I dropped her off this morning, hence getting a free morning of daycare, but they didn't go so I got a free day of daycare). Besides, you know when you leave your dog at daycare that they could get hurt, it's just like kids.

I don't care if she gets a scar, she's a sports dog, but I do care about her being in discomfort and getting infection and getting sick. :sick:

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah, you do realize that they might get hurt, but I'd also expect when I go to get my dog that they'd be up front about it...:o

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
I know that they would be, they are upfront if the dog has to have timeouts and such (which Willow never has :thumbs up ). Plus they have all the vet info and wouldn't hesitate to take the dog to the vet. I'm not the type to just leave my dog with anyone or anywhere (let alone potentially let someone take my dog somewhere 2 + hours away without me there) without trusting them 100%. This was hidden, it was covered by the fur, the only way I found it was that I was giving her some lovins when we got home and felt a hard spot, thinking it was dried goober I started to pick at it and my fingers came away with old dry blood on them. That's when I really noticed it, and I was home for an hour or more by then.

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Poor baby. She looks so patient though with all the probing you've had to do. That's awesome. My pups are usually pretty good about letting me poke boo-boos too. :D I hope it's nothing serious and heals up really quickly!

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM
She was good with the water. When I finished posting the pics I decided to put somemore peroxide on it (like Prin with Jemma's tooth, you seem to be able to tell more with the pics and I didn't like the red around it) I called her into the bathroom and she sat at the door shivering, she came though, but after I touched her with the stingy stuff she had to get lots and lots of hugs. She doesn't mind, she just likes a lot of hugs when I'm doing mean things to her. :o

I forwarded the pics along to the daycare manager. Just to let her know that one of the dogs there bit my dog. For all I know she may have initiated it.... who knows. :shrug:

brandynva
January 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
She was good with the water. When I finished posting the pics I decided to put somemore peroxide on it (like Prin with Jemma's tooth, you seem to be able to tell more with the pics and I didn't like the red around it) I called her into the bathroom and she sat at the door shivering, she came though, but after I touched her with the stingy stuff she had to get lots and lots of hugs. She doesn't mind, she just likes a lot of hugs when I'm doing mean things to her. :o

Poor Willow! At least you love her up that's good. Mine shiver when I lure them to the bathroom for a bath. As for getting in the tub... ha! I have lift all of Roscoe's 60 pounds of dead weight into the tub. He literally FLOPS on the floor and flattens himself. And then he pushes on me when he's in the tub. Just a lean really but we call him a cinderblock with fur for a reason. He is DENSE! Anyway, didn't mean to :offtopic: :sorry: ..

Byrd
January 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
LOL That's okay. However, I must say, Willow goes into the shower on command. :p

brandynva
January 24th, 2007, 12:04 AM
LOL That's okay. However, I must say, Willow goes into the shower on command. :p

Mileva does too. Roscoe is just dense all around I reckon. Either that or I am a poor trainer. Well, I know I am, but I'm okay with it. hehe

Inisfad
January 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I Would try to trim the long hair around it, particularly so the hair doesn't get stuck inside as it's healing, and also you're sure to get the meds on the site rather than the hair. Also, ir you have Betadyne ointment of solution, it does the same thing as peroxide but has no sting. That's what they use in the hospitals back home - no longer peroxide because it can be too painful. The Betadyne is a good thing to originally clean it with. And I'm a huge fan of Bacitracin for preventing infections.

Byrd
January 24th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I'm being sure to keep the hair out of it.

This morning it was fine, there is a scab now. Tonight when I got home I looked at her and I could see a bit of a difference in the eyebrow area, she is a wee bit swollen. If it gets too bad I will boost my vet appointment (her yearly is Feb 5) up and see if she should be on antibiotics.

Byrd
January 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Here's a pic I just took, 24 hours after the last one. It's healing well, I think. I did trim some of the hair, I figure this way I can also keep a better eye on it too. You can see the red though creeping over the eyelid, that's where it's a bit swollen.

She's such a good girl, I think she actually likes when I clean it up.... I'm so proud of her. :)

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/332/imgp42152wh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Prin
January 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Did you get any reply from the daycare yet?

Byrd
January 24th, 2007, 10:50 PM
No, but I'm not 100% I have the right e-mail address either. Maybe I'll call tomorrow.

I just want them to know that it happened, that there may possibly be a dog that has some issues.

Dog Dancer
January 25th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Poor Willow. I hate looking at the pics, I'm not good with that stuff. I hope she heals up well.

I would call the day care just to make sure, but it's entirely possible they didn't even know it happened. Anyhow, I think it looks like a tooth puncture and could have just happened in rough play too. Shadow had a puncture on her nose several years ago from a bite and it healed up fine with no infection.

Good luck. Bad things happen to good furbabies, not fair.

Byrd
January 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I called this morning and spoke to the owner. She said there was no incident report filed, which they have to do if there is a fight, so said she'd ask the daycare staff and call back. So, what happened was that in the morning Willow was playing with a Malamute that they refer to as 'alligator' because his mouth is constantly open. She bopped her head against his open mouth. The wound was cleaned and the morning staff told the afternoon staff to let me know what happened, he forgot because there was a lot going on when I picked her up (I basically picked her up and ran). She said to bathe it in epsome salts and water because it keeps bacteria and infection away and doesn't sting like peroxide. I'm to let them know if it gets bad.

On another note, is it just me or is everyone you meet in a foul mood lately? The perks of working in a medical clinic is that if you need an over the counter drug sample (ie Advil) you can get them. I went into the walk in and asked if I could have some antibiotic cream to treat a dog bite. They asked who got bit and I said my dog. The doctor there gave me a sample and the girl at the desk told me off for asking for it saying that it is for poor people who can't afford it (like I can afford a $10 tube of antibiotic cream) and not for dogs, a dog can lick a wound clean, not this wound I told her. I said that I can't afford it either and need it because if it gets infected it's going to cost me about $100 to treat it, then I offered it back, and she said she didn't want it back but not to ask for stuff for my dog again. The doctor that gave it to me said that it's okay and that there is a serious risk of infection especially with the location and we get it free anyway so what's the difference?

She just did the cutest thing, it's getting itchy so she started scratching it with her back leg... mistake she found out, then she walked into the bathroom and looked at the counter (where I bathe it) turned around and looked at me almost like she was asking me to look after it again, and then rubbed it a bit with her front leg then came over for me to rub it for her. :o

Hunter's_owner
January 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Thats amazing that she lets you clean it like that:thumbs up

If it was Hunter he would hide and try to get away from it I know he would. He is such a wimp:rolleyes: Cassie would allow it, but she wouldn't look for it like Willow:D

Dog Dancer
January 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Sweet Willow! What a good girl. Oh and like only poor people go to the walk in clinics huh... Nobody there could afford to buy their own cream. Right. Doesn't that lady know that dogs are people too???

Byrd
January 25th, 2007, 07:19 PM
No no only the samples are for people who can't afford it. But, I was told when I started that if I needed anything, just ask (as long as it was an over the counter drug and not something needing a prescription).

Willow is good for most things I do to her, she doesn't like it when I brush her though, especially her butt. She doesn't fight, she just wants lots of hugs.

Dog Dancer
January 25th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Did we get confused here? If I walked into that clinic and needed the cream would they not give me a tube? How would they determine who gets the free cream and who has to pay? My Dr. regularly gives me samples of stuff and I have medical coverage for drugs. I was trying to say I'm sure that many people probably get free cream (or other samples) that they could no doubt pay for if they had to. Anyhow, glad it all looks good. Hope the eye keeps improving.:fingerscr

Byrd
January 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Usually when you go there they ask you if you have coverage, if you don't they will give you a sample if they have what you need.

mummummum
January 25th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Willow looks like she is healing up nicely Byrd ! Such a good Mummy !

Byrd
January 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Willow looks like she is healing up nicely Byrd ! Such a good Mummy !

I try. :p

It looks great tonight, the red is down, the swelling is gone (just a bump at the site itself), and the scab looks good, there is no infection. :)

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/971/imgp4228ty4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Byrd
January 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
It's healing very well!

Thanks for all the advice and help to keep infection away. :D

Kristin7
January 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Poor Willow, that does look kinda nasty, but glad it's healing. So basically dogs can use the same antibiotic creams as humans? I was wondering about this just last weekend because mine got bit in the ear at the dog park. I didn't even notice anything out of the ordinary, so have no idea which dog did it. His fur is black so the blood was hard to notice for awhile and then I thought some dog had a new collar that was bleeding color (it was really wet in there). Once I realized it was blood, I felt really dumb. There was a lot of it and his bite wasn't nearly as deep as Willow's (but it looked the same, like a puncture wound, no tearing). I'm surprised your dog didn't have blood all over the face, but maybe ears bleed more? Anyway, good post, as I was wondering if I had done enough to clean it. He's fine now, so no worries... it was very minor, but I too was worried about infection.

jesse's mommy
January 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Byrd, I'm so happy Willow is feeling better. :thumbs up

:sorry: :offtopic: Kristin7, if it's just a slight scrape/cut that doesn't require stitches or a minor rash, you can use polysporin on it, but as always with any kind of cut human or animal, it must be watched. If it gets infected, off to the vet you go. My dog has a tendency to get itchy in her private area and loves to use the concrete to scratch it, which obviously scrapes it up. :frustrated: (She's not always the brightest star in the sky.) But, when she does this we just put a little polysporin on it and she is fine in a day. (Of course she hates me when I put it on because I think she feels she is violated. :p )

rainbow
January 28th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Byrd, I just read this now. Poor Willow....give her a hug for me. :grouphug:

Byrd
January 28th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Will do. I don't even think she realized anything had happened, except for mommy always messing around with her head.

Byrd
January 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Well, to add insult to injury she now has conjunctivitis in the left eye! :rolleyes:

(Mine are itchy just thinking of it)

So, if things happen in three's, what's next?

Prin
January 29th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Maybe #3 is that she doesn't get to go to doggy daycare anymore? :o ;)

Byrd
January 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah really. :rolleyes:

Mocha's mum
January 29th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Oooh, her eye is looking so much better! But, boo conjunctivitis :yuck: I get allergic conjunctivitis from dust and it sucks. So, do you have to give her eye drops? How in the world does that happen? I can't even look at my dog without him squirming around!

Good to see that she's on the mend though :thumbs up It's all the love and well wishing from the forum. And mommy's love of course! ;)

Byrd
February 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I bathed her today and the scab came off, so now all she has is a little red dot on her head. It's not 100% yet, but it will be soon.

As for the eye drops, I just told her to sit and took her muzzle in my left hand using my thumb to hold the lower lid, and my right pinky to open her upper lid and dropped the drop in with my right index and thumb. It's easy. She would jump and then want a hug, but that's the worst she would do. But, then again, I do eyedrops for a living, so for me it's probably a bit easier.... less squirm factor from me. :p

mummummum
February 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I find at this time of year my gang tend to get more eye globbies because the windows are closed most of the time and everything out in the great outdoors is either dried and sharp or just dried and sticky~ hopefully the conjunctivitis will clear soon. Such a good grrrrl ! And Mummy of course.

(what are the daycare folks going to do about the other doggy/ and the staff/ and the staff reporting process if you don't mind me asking ?)

Byrd
February 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
The conjunctivitis is clear, I got super drops! Benefits of working for an opthalmologist.

As for the daycare, they did report it, but the afternoon staff forgot to tell me. Willow was cleaned up with peroxide during nap time. They only file an incident report if it is a vicious attack. This was Willow bumping her head into another dogs tooth. Apparently that day she was playing more than usual. It was mearly an accident... like kids in daycare... war wounds.