Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

calling all dog owners who are apartment living!!!

JROTTIE
January 23rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
would like to hear about anything you have to say regarding living in an apartment with your dogs

breeds, # of dogs etc.:yell:

Maxine
January 23rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Hi there! I have a big 1 year old puppy, Lex, he is around 100 pounds and he's a pitbull mix with something big (I don't know what, but the vets said maybe dane...) :eek:
I personnally don't recommend such a big, hyper dog, in an small appartment. But I manage it pretty good by taking him out to the park 2-3 times a day (He plays with lots of other dogs and come home tired)

Another thing about having dogs in appartment is to make sure your dog doesnt bark all the time. When you're home, it's not to hard to do, but you have to make sure he is not barking the whole time you're out! You don't want all you neighboors to hate you and your dog and complain to the landlord...

I hope thats what you wanted to know!:highfive:

Maxine

tarasmom
January 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
I don't live in an apartment but I do highly recomend box training your pup( if a small breed) I live in a house but box trained my baby. It worked great when she was training because if she had to go and couldnt hold it she didnt have to wait for me to get my shoes ect.. on( for apartment, getting down stairs ect...) also since she comes to work with me all day, if I have a customer I cant always drop and run to take her out. She is fully trained and it is awsome, she doesnt have to ask to go out and I dont have to worry about accidents, she just goes in her box(like a cat) I just have to make sure to change the paper after each use cause she hates getting her feet wet lol ( I have a small bathroom carpet around her box for her feet to wipe off on when she gets out) I tried the puppy litter but she didnt like it, she goes on newspapers( I try to collect old ones from local stores ect...) She still gets excersise as we frequesntly play catch ect.. at work( large open area) and she does go outside if the weather is nice enough , funny though now she wont(or very rarely) will do her business outside, she plays and then goes when we come in lol
It's also great (ok lazy) if I go to bed ( I like to sometimes retire early and watch movies with my hubby and fur baby in solitude) and she has to go, I dont have to worry about her as long as the bedroom door is open,, she goes downsatirs, does her business and comes back to bed. I think it's also handy because if you ever need someone to watch your pup, it wont matter if they are in an apartment, unable to get out ect....you pup will still have a clean place to go ( the clean up is no different than picking up after them outside)

Thats my opinion

Mocha's mum
January 23rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
I have a 20 lb Lhasa Cross in a condo. I am fortunate enough to be close enough to come home at lunch and let him out. So the most he's inside is 4 hours.

Unfortunately, most people can't do this, and I know a girl who has her dog (a Maltese) litter trained. I think that's a great idea, however, my pup is too stubborn to try (the linoleum in the bathroom seems to be a great place sometimes :laughing: )

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
would like to hear about anything you have to say regarding living in an apartment with your dogs breeds, # of dogs etc.:yell:

Why do you ask?

wdawson
January 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
:confused: ....my thoughts also

~michelle~
January 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
i have 3 pups 2 husky crosses and a britany cross. no prob execpt sometime apartment gets too warm for puppies. i keep window open most the time though. alot of dogss if excerised efficently outside are pretty docile and calm indoors. the boys go out for several walks aday

Prin
January 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
I used to... with two dogs...:shrug:

birdy_sharp
January 24th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Hey, I have a two year old aussie shep and lab cross, about 60 lbs. She's out with other dogs in the building and area and walks/runs at least for an hour, more when I can. She's also lazy, and doesn't mind if I can't get her out long enough.

Bridget

OntarioGreys
January 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Not sure the reason you are asking but if you are looking to get a dog, consider the breeds exercise needs, because you will need to go out with the dog no matter what the weather, with some very active dogs 3 or 4 1/2 hour leash walks may not provide sufficient exercise to wear them out, I had a young lab that needed 4 to 6 hours of vigerous exercise such as swimming, sled pulling running games of fetch just to keep him settled down so he was not destroying the house. Size of the dog is not so much an issue they are lot of larger adult large breeds that are serious couch potatoes, greyhound being on of those breeds which can be contented with about an hour or 1 1/2of total walks a day. Though finding an apartment with a large breed can be more difficult if you had to move

Some breeds or individual dogs can be quiet vocal and can be quite the nightmare if you end up with one and are threatened with eviction notices as a result.

If you are looking for a dog my suggestion is to go thru recues that uses foster homes to care and assess dogs, they would be best able to help you pick out a dog that's activity level and noise level is best suited for apartment living

~michelle~
January 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
the one big downfall to apartments and having a dog(s) is not so much the weather, as you kina get used to that its times of illness. days when i am really sick i dont wanna get up dress go down the elevator, and take the dogs for a walk sometimes i wish i had a back yard to let them out in