Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Guinness vs squirrel

Kristin7
January 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Well, it finally happened, after several months in the backyard, surrounded by big fat not so fast moving squirrels: my dog Guinness caught one. I was inside when it happened on Sunday around dusk. He was going nuts by the tree, so I look closer and see he's got something that is not the usual stick. It was moving, so I run out and sure enough, it's a squirrel. If it had been my last dog, it would have been dead, but this one was alive, just wet and tired. Squirrels annoy me around here, they can be very destructive, but when I see one in distress, my heart melts. Called off the dog (and he listened, good boy!) and the poor thing just hung there on the side of the tree panting. Unbelievably, it appeared uninjured, no blood, and just had a wet tail! I think Guinness was just trying to play with it! Has anyone had a dog do this before? He appears to have almost no prey drive, but a very high play drive, lol. Thankfully, as I have cats...

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Oh dear, my heart would have been in my mouth. I am SOOOOOooo grateful we have very fast squirrels here because Bridie is INCREDIBLY speedy and has almost caught a few in her time. And then there's the raccoons ~ my other big fear! What good dog Guinness must be to have listened and obeyed when you called him off !

hazelrunpack
January 23rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
I agree--Guiness should get a cookie for being such a good boy! :D

Our Springer Spaniel, Priscilla :rip: caught a gray squirrel once. It managed to twist up while in her mouth and nail her once on the nose, at which point she dropped it. (Just the one puncture, thank dog--the first thing the vet asked when I talked to her was if Priscilla needed stitches :eek: ...so evidently a feisty squirrel can do a lot of damage.) At any rate, the squirrel ran up the old maple and proceeded to scold and shake its tail at her for about 15 minutes before it finally calmed down. :p

The squirrels here this year are so fat their bellies leave drag marks in the snow... I keep expecting the Pack to corner one, but the squirrels are smart enough not to set paw inside the fence if the dogs are out. Good squirrels :thumbs up

Now raccoons--they can do a lot of damage--luckily, they're more nocturnal for the most part...though we did have one 30-pounder walking around in broad daylight for a while. It actually chased the neighbors off their deck into their house! Likely, it was sick... :sad:

jessi76
January 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
wow - Guiness is a REALLY good boy for listening to you!! that's fabulous! my dog has a crazy-high prey drive (and I have 2 cats). my dog actually tried to climb up a tree to get a squirrel once... shocked me, cause he actually made it a good way up the tree. :eek: thankfully, he hasn't caught one yet... i say "yet" because I know someday it'll happen. I just hope he's as good as Guiness is, and doesn't kill it.

mummummum
January 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
I live in a ravine and with all this weird, mild weather we've been having, I think the fauna population is going to be HUGE this year. I've seen alot more squirrels, raccoons, rabbits and foxes this year. One of my neighbours told me she saw a deer in the backyard in the fall. Now, that wouldn't sound odd to many but, I live just north of Yonge and Bloor in Toronto ~ which if you know Toronto is VERY weird.

kristin ~ do you think Guinness' "play" drive is greater than his prey drive because of his exposure to cats ?

TeriM
January 24th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I was walking Lucy one day and a rabbit hopped out right in front of us and Lucy caught it :eek: . Scared the crap out of me and I screamed and she dropped the rabbit and it ran off. I think she was totally surprised that she caught it.

Kristin7
January 24th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yes, he got a yummy treat (or maybe more) when he came in the house! mumx3 - not sure if he's like this because of the cats, but maybe. I did spend a lot of time working on being gentle with the one he likes to play with. He managed to injure her once when I first brought him home even though they were just playing (not sure, but I think he stepped on her paw). He still is too rough for my taste, really, but he does listen and leaves her alone if I say 'be nice!'. My last dog Sydney :rip: was great with cats, but she did catch and kill a squirrel once and even got a few birds somehow. The first one was a surprise (it flew into her open mouth), so I can relate to the rabbit story. I do worry about him getting bit by a squirrel, though. We also have raccoons and possum around here. Funny, one day I let Guinness out and then noticed there was a cat in the yard. I ran out because I had no idea what he was going to do (first time he'd seen a strange cat in the yard). He actually chased it off, barking, like he was guarding the yard, amusing and relieving at the same time!

MartiniGIrl
January 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
the squirrels in my yard purposely taunt my cats. They sit on the fence and taunt them, I swear!! I've seen them do it a dozen times.

Luckily I keep my cats on leashes, otherwise the squirrels would be toast.

OntarioGreys
January 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Squirrel here like to taunt and scream at the dogs, so far they have been lucky though came very close to meeting his maker when he almost fell off running across the top of the chain link fence, rabbit on the other hand seemed to be a little less bright they did under the fence to get into the yard, one I was able to rescue 3 others were not so lucky :shrug:

hazelrunpack
January 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM
The red squirrels here love to run along the top of the chain link fence here, too, with the dogs in full pursuit, then leap off to the feeders outside. One of the little buggers is really bold--he'll sit and eat seed a foot off the dogs' noses--on the other side of the fence, of course. :D Drives the dogs wild! I'm surprised the squirrel isn't deaf from all the barking! he he he

Kristin7
January 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM
The squirrels do taunt my neighbor's dog especially. They know she's inside watching thru the door, and they go out in the yard and roll around! It's quite funny... poor Mia.